***in' Perfect

You've Gotta Really Love Her

Zack POV-

"Hey dude. Can I talk to you for a minute?" I asked Craig as he walked out of my house. I was standing out front smoking. "Yeah man. What's up?" he replied. He seemed like a cool guy. I'd heard a lot of good things about him. His band wasn't too bad. "So...I wanna talk to you about Allison," I said. "Al? Okay," he replied. A smile was pulling at the corners of his mouth. He liked her, too. I could tell. "Are you and her...I mean..." I paused. I wasn't good with things like this, but a point needed to be made. "Are me and her...together?" he asked. "Basically what I was aiming for, yeah," I replied. Craig looked at me and nodded. "We're gonna give it a try. I like Al. She's a sweet girl," he answered. Honesty was a good first step with me. "Yeah, man, she is. She's a great girl. I care a lot about her. But let me just tell you something, okay? You've gotta love her. You've gotta really love her. Treat her right, because if you don't, you'll have eight or nine guys waiting to rip you to shreds."

"If I can promise you anything dude, it's that I'l treat her right. Trust me, I've been hurt way too many times myself. I'd never subject someone like Al to that. She deserves the best," Craig said. "Yeah man. She does. I'm just sorry I couldn't give her what she wanted. Maybe you can. Take care of my girl," I replied. "I will man. I promise. Have a good birthday in Vegas. Don't party too hard."

I put out my cigarette and went back into the house. Alli was pulling her suitcase down the stairs. "I got it," I told her, taking it by the handle. "Thanks, Z," she said. "No problem. Lexi up there?" I asked. "Yeah...hey, Zack?" Alli spoke my name differently than she ever had before. "What's up?" I replied. "I just...I wanted to tell you...Craig and I are..." she started. "I know, Alli. It's okay." She nodded and headed back upstairs, mumbling something about going to help Lexi with her things. I heard a door shut and looked over by the doorway where Lexi's things were. Alli was upset and for once, I didn't know what to do.

I was just headed up the stairs when the doorbell rang. I turned around and opened the door, then breathed a sigh of relief. Saved by the bell.