***in' Perfect

Damn It, Gates

Brian POV-

I knocked gently on Alli's door before opening it. She was sitting on her bed, clinging to a stuffed animal, tears streaming down her face. "Bri," she said, choking back more tears, trying to force a smile. "Hey," I said, sitting down next to her. "Bri...I think I fucked up," she told me. I wiped her tears away with my thumb and pulled off my sunglasses. "How'd you fuck up, Al? By following your heart?" I asked. "I did what I felt was right. I broke up with Zack. Craig and I are gonna give things a shot...but I feel awful. I feel like I threw everything I came to California for away," she said. "All you came to California for, huh? What did you come here for, Al? Really. Did you come here for Zack? To work for VU? To go on tour? To have a kid? What did you come here for? To find what?" I asked. "Happiness," she replied simply. "And do you think you're gonna be happy with Craig? Does he make you happy?" I asked. Alli nodded, wiping a few tears from her face. "Then that's what really matters. You weren't happy with the relationship you and Zack had. That doesn't mean you don't love him, Alli. You can love someone with all that you are and not be happy with them," I told her. "God damn it, Gates, I love you," Alli said, wrapping her arms around me tightly. "I love you too, kid. It's gonna be okay. I promise."

"I sure hope so," Alli replied. "Hey. When have I ever broken a promise to you? I can't recall a single promise I've ever made to you that I've broken...so trust me. Everything will be fine. You just broke up with your baby's father. It's gonna be tough...but from the way you talk about this Craig kid, he seems like a good guy...but just know that if he ever hurts you, I'll rip him apart," I told her. Alli smiled and pushed me playfully. She was like a little sister to me, her and Lexi both. I'd hate to see either of them hurt. I just honestly never imagined either of them would break up with Zack. "I know. Big brother Brian," she replied. "Damn fucking skippy," I said.