***in' Perfect

Unwanted

Zack POV-

I wiped a tear from my eye before it could fall and went back inside. “Lex?” I called. “Yeah?” she replied. She was in the office, packaging orders. “I need to talk to you,” I said. “What’s up, baby?” she asked. “I think I want to sign over my rights to Belle,” I told her. Lexi stopped and looked up at me. “What?” she replied. “She called Craig Daddy,” I said. “Oh. Zack, I’m sorry,” Lexi said, standing up and walking over to me. She wrapped her arms around me and held me tightly. “I don’t know what to do, Lex. Shit, Alli and I can’t even get along as friends. We fight. She loves Craig. She’s happy with him, and he can help her take care of Belle. He loves her. I mean, I do too, but still. I think it would be better off if I just let go of it all,” I said. “Zack, you do know that’s my sister and niece,” Lexi answered. “Yeah, I know. But…I just…I don’t know. I wasn’t ready to be a dad. I just…I don’t know. Don’t hate me, okay? I just didn’t love your sister like I love you. I didn’t want the kid, but I couldn’t tell her that. I love Belle, don’t get me wrong. Being a dad just isn’t what I want or need right now.”

Lexi POV-

“You do what you need to do, Zack. I love you, you know that, right?” I replied. Zack nodded. “And you do know that I’d choose my flesh and blood over any man anyday, right?” I asked. Once again, Zack nodded. “I just hope Alli takes this well,” I sighed, returning to my work. “You think it’s easy on me?” Zack asked. There was an edge to his voice. “Woah. This is your decision, Zack. Not mine. I’m just saying. That’s my sister. I have her best interest at heart and I’m afraid this is going to hurt. I mean how would you feel if I got pregnant and had your kid and you were all excited and I was just like ‘oh, I don’t want it,’?” I said. “That’s not what I meant,” he replied. “You just stood there and told me you never wanted Belle!” I snapped. “I didn’t want kids! Ever! It was an accident! I didn’t mean for her to get pregnant. She seduced me!” Zack snapped back at me. “That doesn’t mean shit, Zack. You have to take responsibility! You DID get my sister pregnant, and if you don’t want to take care of your kid, then that’s fine, but you need to think of better words to use than ‘I never wanted her’ when you talk to Alli. Don’t fuck with her heart, Zack. You two may not be together and she may be happy with someone else, but she loved you, she always will, no matter who she moves on to. You’ll always be the one who gave her first child, the one who took us in when we had nowhere to go. Think about that.”