Status: I love my all my readers!! You guys make my day =) I'm keeping this coming as fast as I can, just for all of you

Written in the Stars of Heaven

Five.

"Here, I found a few things for you to wear," Felix announced, returning with an armful of silk dresses.

"I thought you said you didn't have any women's clothing."

"I didn't think I did. My sister must have left these here during her last visit. The woman always forgets something, so I should have known," he smiled, handing them over.

His explanation seemed reasonable enough , so I thanked him and took the clothes. "Um, where's the bathroom?”

“Oh, yes. Right down that hall, third door on the left.”

I nodded, and reluctantly moved away from the warmth of the fireplace, trying to ignore Felix’s unsettling stare at the back of my exposed neck.

The hall wasn’t what I expected at all, being much larger than it seemed. There was six doors on either side, and one at the very end. And being the curious creature I am, I couldn’t resist peaking inside a few. Call it snoopy if you will, but I believed I had a right to know my surroundings. I was, in fact, in the house of a stranger after he found me in the middle of the forest. It seemed a little too much like a bad horror movie for my liking, so I took it upon myself to ensure that this guy wasn’t completely psycho.

Glancing back to make sure he wasn’t watching me, I cracked the first door open, and let my eyes adjust to the darkness. To my relief, it seemed like a little study, filled with book cases, a desk adorned with a computer, and a comfy looking plush sofa. I quickly closed it and continued my search.

I’d made it all the way down to the last room on the right and the one at the very end of the hall, finding only bedrooms and the promised bathroom. Quietly turning the knob of the remaining door on the right, I was actually a little surprised to discover it was locked. I was sure it wasn’t Felix’s room, as I’d already encountered the master. What else could it be? Suspicion reawakening, I hurried to try the last door. Of course, it too was locked. Why would he lock something, unless he had a secret to protect? I mean, it was clear he was out here in the woods alone the majority of the time, so who would he even have to prevent from entering? Something was odd about the whole scenario, and I was going to figure it out. But I couldn’t let on that I knew anything, so I padded back to the bathroom to change.

Hurrying, as I’d already wasted so much time, I splashed some warm water on my face, released my dark hair from its binds, and slipped into a delicate, teal silk dress embroidered with baby pink lace on the low neckline and hem that matched the straps. It was quite stunning, and fit like a glove, flowing over my curves in a flattering manner. But instead of absolutely loving it like I should, the soft fabric bothered me, like it was somehow perverse, wrong. I didn’t like it in the least, but I had nothing else., so I sucked it up and added my dirty dress to the pile on the floor Felix had given me.

“Wow. I have to say, I can appreciate that on you much more than its last wearer,” Felix grinned when he saw me.

I chuckled nervously, feeling the sudden urge to run far, far away. I didn’t understand it at all, but everything in me was begging me to leave. But I couldn’t. I still needed answers. “You said you would explain everything…”

“Ah, but it’s so late,” he protested in his accent, moving to the sink to fill the glass in his hand.

“I’m not sleeping until I know where I am, and what this Herllow thing is, you mentioned.”

“Feisty. I like that,” he smirked, “Ok, you are in a place called Animus Terra.”

“And what exactly is that?” I asked, crystal blue eyes narrowed.

“It means, Land of Souls. You aren’t in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.”

Honestly? What was this guy on? Land of Souls? Not to mention the lame Wizard of Oz reference. I wasn’t about to believe I was in some Wonderland.

“Look, I don’t know what kind of mental issues you suffer from, but where I come from, it’s not cool to make up some alternate reality, alright? Now, I wasn’t some answers. What state am I in?”

“I told you,” he demanded, “ You are in Animus Terra. Well, your soul. I can imagine your body is going about its regular activities on Earth.”

Ok, I’d had enough. “Look buddy, I’ve been through the ringer the past however-many-hours, and I’m in no mood for your games. If you won’t tell me where the hell I am, I will figure it out myself.”

Felix heaved an exasperated sigh, rubbing the tips of his long fingers between his brows, “Melani, what is the last thing you remember?”

Now that was a good question. “I was with this masked man, and I was running. The door was locked, and he sh-”

“Yes, I thought as much. You experienced a traumatic encounter, and now you are here. You see, on Earth, when the soul undergoes something it can’t handle, it leaves the body and makes a journey here, to the Land of Souls. Here, you don’t have the same injuries, waking from a deep slumber absolutely and miraculously healed. The body on Earth goes on with its business, and few humans ever notice more that a subtle difference, a lack of passion per se, from them.”

The idea seemed completely insane, but I had been shot, then woke up with no injuries. My head refused to believe him, but my heart screamed truth. Felix was being honest. I was in this Land of Souls. Oh-my-gawd!

“So you’re telling me that this,” I gestured at my entire body, “is not real? That I’m just a soul?”

“It’s real… But it’s different from before. I can’t explain it all that well.”

My mind was reeling. How could all of this be? And suddenly, a very urgent thought came to me. “My family! Are they here?” I squeaked.

Felix took a drink of his water and slowly set it down. “I imagine that they aren’t here. At least not many. You would have felt it when you arrived. It’s like a lure, so you’re guaranteed to find one another.”

“No, they have to be. Maybe I did feel something, when I woke up. Maybe I just missed it, in all that panic-”

“It’s not something you miss, Melani. I’m sorry.”

I was discouraged, but not totally persuaded. I would look for them. I would scour the lands of this realm until I was absolutely sure not one of my loved ones was here. Not that I had many, but I wasn’t going to give up hope.

“Ok, now the Herllow talk. What is that?” I asked, trying to catch Felix’s suddenly wavering gaze.

“We will talk about that later, beauty. Now, hold still…” he commanded, slowly advancing on me, a strange glint in his eye. Oh gawd, his eyes! They had transformed from a stunning hazel into an increasingly bright maroon.

“F-Felix, what are you doing?” I stammered, backing away from my post at the fireplace.

“Just stay there,” he replied. And that was when I realized what that look was in his bright red eyes. Hunger.

Just as I was turning to dash from the room, a sharp, all-consuming pain filled my head. It was like someone was driving ten metal stakes into my skull all at once, causing more pain that I’ve ever felt. My vision dulled, everything becoming a blurry haze all around. Forgetting why I was moving, I stumbled and fell to the wooden floor. And darkness took over.
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's my last day of Thanksgiving break, and I kinda just wanna smash my head in at the thought of school. Just sayin'

xoxo
Destiny