Status: 3-shot

Home and All its Guests

One

With a sigh I walked through the door of my one bedroom apartment. My feet felt amazing as I slipped off my heels that suffocated them for the day. I grabbed an apple from the bowl on my marble counter top, taking a bite I walked over to my answer machine.

3 blinked in bright red. I pushed the bottom as I went to my fridge to find something to drink.

“Hello Ms. Peterson, it’s Dan again. I’m just calling to see if you wanted to do something with that lovely home. It’s just sitting there and I think I could sell and-“ I deleted the message before I could hear more. It was the same thing every time, he wanted me to sell my childhood home and believe me I wanted nothing more than to get rid of it but my sister would kill me. The next message started.

“Sis, Are you home? I’m coming over at 5:30, hope you get this before then so I’m not waiting.” Cathy said in a warning voice. I looked at the clock to see it was 5:15. She’ll be here soon; I got up to get ready. I was headed on the way to my room when the next voice through my answering machine stopped me dead in my tracks.

“Carrie? Hey it’s- it’s Zak, I know I’m probably the last person you wanted to hear from but your sister gave me your number. I hope you don’t mind but she said we could investigate your old house. That’s not why I called though, I was wondering if you could do an interview for the show? If you don’t want to its fine but I’d like you to. Okay well I hope to hear from you, bye.”

Zak? Zak Bagans? Zak Bagans just called me? Where did he get the nerve to call me after all these years? I went to the machine and replayed the message. I don’t know why I wanted to hear his voice again, I just did. Just then I heard my apartment door open. I turned to find Cathy stepping through; I left out a breath of air as I saw her big brown eyes looking around curiously.

“You almost gave me a heart attack,” I said as I went to the kitchen.

“I told you I was coming,” she pointed out as she took a seat at my counter.

“Yeah but I wasn’t expecting you so soon,” I said as I went and grabbed her a bottle of water.

“What do you want?” I mumbled as I sat down across from her.

“I’m hurt,” she gasped clutching at her heart. “Although I do need to talk to you,” she said looking down.

“What about?” I asked even though deep down I knew.

“Zak,” she sighed. I jumped out of my seat and put my hands up in protest.

“No, we aren’t even going to discuss this.”

“I know he called, he called me too. He just wants to interview you.”

“I don’t want to see him, Cat.”

“Car, he’s sorry, he wants to tell you that. He even said after this you won’t have to see him ever again.” She tried to reason.

“Never,” I asked calming down.

“Never again,” she insisted. I sighed thinking it over. “Why do you hate him so much?”

“Why? Why?” I hissed. “He’s the reason I was gone for almost 2 years, Cat!”

“He didn’t know what to do; he was scared and worried about you.” It pissed me off how much my family tried to defend him.

“I was locked away in a prison for a year and a half because of him. Mom and Dad never looked at me the same because of him. I have to talk to a doctor and ask permission if I want to drive 20 minutes out of town because of him. So don’t ask me why I hate no despise Zak Bagans.” My voice started to rise at the end.

“He came to the house and called every day that you were gone, worried.”

“If he cared so much then he would’ve helped me when I asked him not run and tell my parents so they could lock me up in a mental institution.” She sighed knowing I wasn’t letting up.

“Carrie what was he supposed to do? He was scared, mom and dad were scared, that’s why they sent you away.” I looked down knowing what she meant.

“He was my best friend Cat, I didn’t know who else to tell but him.” I tried to hold on to my anger and hatred but it was slowly slipping.

“And he didn’t know who else to tell but Mom and Dad. They are the ones who sent you away not him.”

“He didn’t believe me Cat, that’s the worst part. He didn’t believe me.” Cathy jumped off of the seat and looked at me.

“Just think about it Carrie, that’s all I’m asking.” She walked out leaving me to my thoughts.

Shutting my eyes I combed my fingers through my hair. I locked my door and went to change into some sweatpants and a wife beater. Think about it? There was nothing to think about. I went to my hallway closet and grabbed to shoe box on the top shelf. Bringing it to the counter I whipped off the dusk before pouring myself a glass of red wine. I sat down and opened the lid.

Lots of tiny smiling faces looked up at me. They were pictures of Zak and me when we were teenagers. I took kind of out the first one; when we were both 14, I was being harassed but he didn’t know it yet; it was of him and me in my room one day after school. I smiled remembering the day.

I was lying on my bed with my eyes closed as I listened to my best friend go through my things. I don’t know why he did that every day, he knew everything that was in there. He’s been through it a million times.

“Does this camera still have film?” I peeked at the camera in Zak’s hands and nodded. It was probably just filled with pictures of him and me anyway. He had this weird pet peeve, he always hated when camera’s had some film left and you weren’t using them. He wanted them developed as soon as possible. “You can’t just leave it like this.” I sighed sitting up knowing what he wanted.

“Fine,” I sighed he smiled and sat on the bed next to me. Putting his arm around me I leaned in and smiled towards the camera. As soon as the flash went off I lay back down and shut my eyes again. I felt Zak lay next to me. I could feel his breath on my face, it smelled of cinnamon. He put his hand around my waist and pulled me closer. My heart quickened but I kept calm. I snuggled my head in his neck and breathed in his scent. “You know my dad would kill you if he came home and found us right now.” He laughed knowing I was right.

“Yeah but we have like 2 hours till he’s home.” Recently, when Zak’s voice got deeper and he started shaving, my parents decided it wasn’t cute anymore for us to be so close.

”He’s a growing boy and they only want one thing,” my dad had said, he didn’t understand that he was my best friend.


I put the picture down and brought out another. Zak and I were in our bathing suits. We had spent the whole summer apart, him at camp and me at my grandma’s so we spent the last week living at the pool.

I ran into my closet to change. Zak finally came home from camp and we were headed to the pool. I grabbed my bikini, recently I started to fill it out more, if you know what I mean. Quickly changing and throwing something on over it I raced downstairs to wait for him there. By the time I got there though I realized he was already here. He turned and I was greeted by that signature smile of his that I missed so much. I froze realizing I wasn’t the only one who hit puberty this summer. My best friend looked down embarrassed I came out of my trance and ran to hug him. His now muscular arms snaked around my waist as he hugged me back.

“Hey Care Bear,” I hated that nickname but only he could call me that. I also took note of how deep his voice got.

“Hey Z-man,” I chuckled. We pulled away and I noticed he was wearing a tight black shirt, I also couldn’t help but notice how tall he got.

“Wow, you look… different,” he said blushing I giggled.

“I can say the same to you,” We left to the pool where we took a picture like we always did when we were hanging out.


I looked through more pictures before stopping at a folded up piece of paper. I took another drink of wine before my shaky hands went for the paper. I unfolded the last contact I made with Zak Bagans.

Dear Carrie,

I know you hate me but I only wanted what’s best for you. I read the last letter you sent and it broke my heart. I know its asking way too much for your forgiveness but I’m doing it anyway.

Please believe me when I say if I could turn back time I would change what I’ve done. I didn’t know they’d send you away. I didn’t know you’d be trapped there for this long. And I didn’t know you’d hate me.

I’m so deeply sorry Carrie, I can understand if you don’t want to talk to me anymore but please know that you are my best friend and I love you from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely Yours,
Z-man.


I never answered him back; I cut off all ties with him still hurt by his betrayal. This is the story of what happened.

I was being tormented on a daily basis by ghosts, everyday it got worse and worse. I couldn’t sleep; I couldn’t be alone without being attacked. It got to the point where I had to tell someone, I decided Zak was the only one I could trust. I didn’t know how wrong I was. He didn’t believe me, this was back when he was a skeptic, and he thought I had lost my mind. So he went and told my parents, who also thought I was crazy. They sent me away and I spent a year and a half in a mental institution from when I was 16 until almost 18. I never was the same ever since, if I have a problem I didn’t dare say it out loud, just pray it’ll go away. My parents thought I was better since I never said anything more about it and died thinking everything was perfect.

I never got to sell the house because my sister loved it; no one else was bothered by the ghosts. She got my parent’s other home which happened to be my favorite place, ironic huh?

I sighed. I missed Zak, greatly even if I didn’t admit it. I was in love with him, you don’t get over that. I took a long drink of my wine to calm my nerves; I grabbed my phone and called Cathy.

“Hello?”

“Cat it’s me, tell Zak and say I’ll let him interview me.”

Zak’s POV

I answered my phone as it started to ring.

“Hello?” I didn’t recognize the number.

“Hey Zak its Cathy,” I smiled to hear the voice of my childhood friends, older sister.

“Hey, Cathy. What’s up?”

“I was just calling to tell you that Carrie has agreed to let you interview her.” I nearly jumped for joy.

“Really? That’s awesome man; she can meet us at your guy’s old house tomorrow at 10.”

“Okay, she’ll be there.”

“Okay bye Cathy.”

“Bye Zak,” she hung up and I lay down on the hotel bed thinking of Carrie. My old best friend, also first love. That didn’t matter now though, she hated me, she asked me for help and I didn’t believe her. She’s the reason I do this for a living, yeah sure I did it because I had an experience I couldn’t explain but mainly I did it out of guilt. Guilt of not believing my best friend and causing her to be locked away. I did this so I can prove there is something out there, so no one would make the mistake I did and not believe their loved one. With a sigh I decided to get some sleep, I had a big day tomorrow.

The Next Day

We started to set up in the house I was so nervous I almost dropped most of the equipment.

“Dude what’s wrong with you?” Aaron asked.

“Nothing man I’m just tired.” That was a lie; I went to bed early last night.

“This doesn’t have to do with that Carrie girl does it?” Nick smiled.

“What, no you guys are idiots.” They smirked at me as I went downstairs. You could tell no one lived in here anymore but it still had some of Carrie and her family’s personal items. We had three people to interview, two former owners, and then Carrie. I was doing Carrie’s first, I heard a car pull up the gravel path. My heart quickened as I looked to see a new black mustang. I chuckled to myself Carrie was the only girl I knew who owned one; she was obsessed with them growing up. I yelled to the guys before walking out. I tried to remain calm; I was hoping to talk to her a little before the interview. She stepped out of the car in black pants with a red tank top. I froze in my tracks as I looked over my now grown up love. She had the same curves she did since she was 14, she seemed taller now though. Her once short black hair was now longer; she had side bangs that stopped just above her bright green eyes that were lined with eyeliner. She still had the beautiful tan skin she always had; her naturally rosy cheeks and lips were still the same. I still felt the same about her too. She looked down at her chucks as she walked my way. She stopped in front of me and had a cold blank expression. It hurt me to see it but I deserved worse.

“Hi?” She asked when I didn’t speak.

“Hi,” I smiled, why am I smiling like a dork? Stop smiling you idiot. I cleared my throat and returned to my normal face, without a smile.

Carrie’s POV

I finally looked up when I stopped in front of him. He was taller, and had way more muscle then I remember. I quickly noticed how his tight shirt hugged at each of his body’s creases. He wore baggy black pants along with a belt, hasn’t changed much.

“Hi?” I finally said when he wouldn’t say anything.

“Hi,” he was smiling like a dork, he finally stopped.

“Um, how are you?” Might as well make conversation.

“I’m… good, and you?”

I searched for the right word before answering.

“Good,” I sighed. Just then his other crew members walked our way.

“Hi, I’m Nick and this is Aaron,” A tall skinny guy said shaking my hand I smiled and shook Aaron’s hand. He had a mustache and goatee and was bald.

“I’m Carrie-“

“We know, Zak talks about you all the time.” Aaron smiled as Zak chuckled nervously.

“Okay let’s get on with the interview, shall we?” Zak said motioning for me to follow him. I walked to the front steps and stopped in front of Zak.

“What do I need to do?” I asked as he helped the guys with their cameras.

“Take us on a tour of the house and if you’ve had an experience in that spot just tell us what happened.” I sighed; sounds easy enough. “Okay we need to put a microphone of you,” he said holding what looked like a walkie talkie with a clip in the back.

“Where do you need to put it?”

“In the back of your pants on the belt line,” he nervously cleared his throat.

“Okay,” I turned towards him as he lifted up my shirt just a little and clipped the microphone to my pants. I jumped a little when his skin touched mine. “Your hands are cold,” I gave a lie as an explanation. Truthfully I felt an electric shock go through my body.

“Sorry,” he finished and I pulled my shirt over it. I wondered if he saw my tramp stamp, when I was younger I swore I’d never get one but you’d be surprised how people change as they grow up.

“Okay cameras are ready, start when you want.” Nick informed us.

Zak cleared his throat before started.

“We are here with Carrie Peterson, who owns the Peterson home; now Carrie how long have you lived here?” He looked away from the camera and at me, stupid question he knew that.

“From when I was born to when I was 18.”

“So 18 years?”

“18 years,” I nodded.

“So you’re going to give us the tour right?”

“Yes,” I nodded and felt a knot form in my stomach.

“When was the last time you’ve been in here?” He asked.

“I haven’t been here since the day of my high school graduation.”

“Wow,” Nick said.

“Yeah, as soon as possible I got the hell out of here.”

“Do you even think you could even go back in there?” I starred at the door and took a deep breath.

“I’m going to try,” I chuckled.

“That’s all we ask,” Zak smiled.

He walked through the door and Nick followed him, Aaron stayed, filming my reaction. I took another deep breath before stepping in. I haven’t been inside for over a decade, my once loving, childhood home was turned into a living hell because of a spirit. I looked around a noticed nothing had changed.

“You alright?” Zak asked.

“Yeah,” I mumbled before starting the tour.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment? I usually make my own layouts but decided not to fuss over a little 3-shot.