‹ Prequel: Illicit Paramour

Abstract Sincerity

;00

Kennedy stepped though the door leading to her apartment complex. She was exhausted. It was three o’clock in the morning and she was just getting home from ‘work’. She’d have to wake up in another three hours to be to work on time in the morning – she was not looking forward to it. This wasn’t the first time, either. The majority of the month she’d been coming home anywhere between one and five in the morning.
Kennedy set down her brief case and kicked off her four and half inch high heels. Walking normally on the ground hurt more than actually walking in the heels.
Usually, when Kennedy got home, she was used to having to be quiet because Mike was asleep, but when she walked into the apartment practically every single light was on in the house. Confusion flooded over Kennedy as she treaded lightly though the house, looking for Mike and searching for answers.
Kennedy found herself in the bedroom, looking at Mike going through the closet and pulling all his clothes down as quickly as he could. Kennedy didn’t understand what was going on. “What are you doing?” she asked, her head cocking to the left side and he was obviously startled by her presence. He dropped all his clothes on the ground and turned around to look at her.
“I didn’t think you’d be home this early,” he told her as though that was an explanation for what he was doing. He bent down and picked up his clothes and finished laying them out in a suitcase she had bought for him for Christmas a few years back.
“What are you doing?” she asked again, taking a few slow steps into the room.
He let out a sigh and stopped what he was doing. He looked up at her. “Kennedy, you know that I love you, but I can’t do this anymore,” he told her.
“What do you mean? Can’t do what anymore?” she asked, panicking.
“Us, I can’t do us anymore. I thought it would be fine, I thought everything would work itself out, but it hasn’t and I don’t think it’s going to. I understood that you got home late and that you wanted to focus on your work – that’s why I thought we’d work so well, because that’s what I was doing to, but I took yesterday off for us, Kennedy,” he told her slowly.
“What are you talking about?” she asked, not sure what he meant.
“You don’t even know what yesterday was do you?” he asked, sadness overwhelmed his eyes.
“No,” she said slowly and shook her head.
He pursed his lips together, “I took yesterday off because it was our anniversary. I tried calling you at work all day to tell you to meet me at Butter at eight, but your secretary kept telling me that you were busy and she’d get the message to you. That was honestly the last straw for me, Kenne,” he told her.
“Yesterday wasn’t our anniversary,” she told him, “Our anniversary is on October 15th,” she told him.
“What’s the date today?” he asked, challenging her.
She thought and thought but she didn’t know. She grabbed the clock sitting on her nightstand and saw that today was the 16th of October, meaning he was right.
“I’m sorry,” she whispered.
“I’m sick of your apologies, Kenne, I’m done. I’m moving and I have a job lined up somewhere, else, okay? I’ll let you stay here for as long as you want, but you’ll have to start paying for rent,” he told her, laying out his ties over his shirts.
“Please, don’t leave me,” she begged quietly. “I love you,” she told him, looking up at him from underneath her eyelashes.
“I love you, too, but we both know this isn’t working out,” he told her and he turned away from her to finish packing his things. She turned around and sulked off to the living room and laid down on the couch. Tears streamed silently down her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back!
I hope I will have some of my old followers from the previous three stories of this series. I've decided to continue it on.
Let me know what you think. :)