Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Two

I started making my way to the diner that I had found in town, thinking about the times before my dad started drinking, before I moved to Canada…the times before my mom was killed. Sniffling quietly, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and unlocked the touch screen. I glanced at the familiar picture and felt tears running down my face.

“Mom, Aunt Marie smile!” I yelled to the sisters as I jumped in their laps with my phone in hand. “We are all celebrating a special day.”

“Kenzie, what are you doing to your poor mother and aunt?” My dad asked, a smile on his lips.

“We were taking a picture, dad.” I said with an eye roll. I got off their laps and kissed them both on the cheek. “I love you guys so much. Happy birthday.”

“Thank you, Kenzie.” My aunt smiled as she too stood up and placed a kiss on the top of my head.

“Congratulations sweetheart.” My mom said, giving me a hug. “I love you.”


Little did I know that wonderful summer day, that that was going to be one of the last times I saw both my aunt and mother together. Three weeks later, which was two months ago today, they were coming home from a vacation they took together and were in a car accident. They were traveling on a deserted road late at night and they thought they were alone. Well the drunk truck driver though the same thing, he was over the line and driving down the middle of the road. They ended up going off the side of the road and over a cliff. Both died on impact, they didn’t suffer, or at least that’s what the officer told us the following morning.

The tears were now running down my cheeks at full force. I put my phone back in my pocket and wiped away the falling tears. That was the point when I realized that the temperature dropped and I was freezing. I pulled my hood up and walked into the diner.

“Hello there again dear, just find any place to sit. I’ll be with you in a sec.” An elderly woman said from behind the counter.

I smiled and grabbed the furthest booth in the place, sliding in after my back pack. Just as I got settled and picked up the menu the waitress was next to me. I looked at her remember that her names was Leslie.

“Hello there dear. Back again?” Leslie asked, pulling out her note pad.

I faked a smile and nodded. “Yeah, just couldn’t get enough of your French toast and eggs. Can I get that please? With a Diet Coke?”

“Sure thing, doll.”

She walked away and returned seconds later with my soda. I took a few sips and shivered from the cold. I shook my head and sat it on my folded arms. My life right now sucked. I lived in a new country, I was only taking a few courses online and had no job, I ran away from home, my mother is dead, oh yeah and my father beats me. I sighed and tried to keep the tears away, but failed. I felt the first of what are probably going to be many tears fall down my cheek.

I was faintly aware of the sound of the door opening and a loud group of boys walking in, but I didn’t look up. The group got louder and I figured they were heading in my direction to get one of the other booths. The group got quiet, but I got that feeling that some one was standing next to me. Sure enough I heard the sound of a jacket rustling.

I quickly wiped my eyes and winced instantly when I came in contact with the bruise daddy left. I lifted my head and looked to my right, sure enough there was a group of four, I guess you would call them men because they were defiantly not boys, standing next to me. I looked them over and noticed that they all had very similar facial structures and about the same eye color. I was going to take a wild guess and say they were brothers

“May I help you?” I asked a bit too harshly

“Uh, yeah. you’re at our table.” The blond one said.

I sighed, I really didn’t feel like dealing with a group of assholes right now. I was in pain, cold, and tired. “I’m sorry, but I don’t see your name anywhere.” I said, looking around the table.

The youngest one chuckled and pointed to the corner by the napkin holder. I looked and indeed I saw four names carved into the wood.

Eric, Marc, Jordan, Jared Staal

Shit their names really were on the table. I sighed again and reached for my bag as I went to stand up.

“Chill, you can stay here.” The red head said.

“Thanks…I think.”

“We’ll just join you.” The other blond said right before they all slipped in.

“Um, okay.” How was I supposed to react when four attractive guys sit with me. “I’m Mackenzie.”

“I’m Eric.” The guy sitting next to me said. “Those knuckleheads over there are Marc, Jordan, and Jared.”

“Nice to meet you guys. Do you always sit with a stranger though?”

“Not normally, but when the stranger is as pretty as you, we will.” The blond, I mean Jordan said, flashing me a smile

I blushed and looked down at my drink. I was suddenly very aware of my bruises and scratches on my face and I knew they all saw them but they were being polite and not asking about them.

“So Mackenzie, are you from around here? Because I know I’ve never seen you around before.” Eric said, his brothers nodding in agreement.

“Kinda sorta, my dad and I moved up here about a month ago and a half ago.”

“That’s cool, where did you move from?” The red head, ugh I mean Marc asked.

“Arizona.”

“Wow, that’s a far distance from here. So why Thunder Bay?” Jared asked

I nodded and looked down at my drink again. Did I want to tell these strangers why? I looked up again and looked all four guys in the eye. They seemed trustworthy. I took a deep breath and held it, then released it slowly. Before I could even open my mouth Leslie came to the table with my food.

“Boys, you aren’t scaring the poor girl are yas?” She asked, placing her hands on her hips.

“Of course not Les, we were just introducing ourselves to Mackenzie here. She’s new to Thunder Bay.” Jordan said, smiling.

Leslie turned to me. “If they try anything funny, just give them all a good smack. Especially Jordan here.”

I laughed and nodded my head and looked at the guys who were all laughing as well. “I don’t think I could actually hit them, but thanks for the permission.”

Leslie chuckled. “No problem dear.” She pulled her note pad out again and looked at the four brothers. “What do you boys want? The usual?”

“And coffee,” Eric added. “Bring a cup for Mackenzie too.”

I looked at him. “You didn’t have to do that, thank you.”

“It’s no problem, plus you’ve been shivering ever since we sat down.”

I blushed and pulled out my silverware. I started cutting my toast, but then froze. I was raised with manners and you don’t start eating until everyone has food, so I put my knife and fork down and folded my hands in my lap.

Marc looked at me and nodded. “Eat, don’t wait for us. We’re big kids we won‘t whine.”

“Speak for yourself Marc.” Jordan said.

“Ignore Jordan, we do.” Jared stage whispered, which got him smack by Jordan.

I laughed and stated eating my food and listened to the boys talk about…hockey? Well yeah I guess they would play it, I’ve learned that it’s a very popular sport here.

“So Mackenzie, you never told us. Why such the big move?” Jordan asked, picking at the napkin sticking out of the dispenser.

I swallowed the mouthful of food I had. “Um, my mom died so dad thought it would be a great idea to move.” I whispered.

Eric grabbed my hand and the contact caused me to jump. “Sorry.” He whispered. “We are so sorry to hear about your mom. If you don’t me asking, what happened to her?”

“She and my aunt were killed my a drunk truck driver.” I felt the tears again and I turned to face the wall so none of them would see me crying.

“Mackenzie, I’m so sorry.” Jordan whispered placing a hand on my shoulder.

“Me too.” Jared said, also placing a hand on me, this time my arm.

Marc grabbed my other hand. “Mackenzie.” was all he said.

I knew at that moment that I could trust these guys with anything. They were caring and really nice. I sniffled and wiped my eyes with a napkin. I smiled sadly at the boys and just sat there, my hand still in Eric’s. “Thanks guys, sorry about the tears.” I whispered

“Don’t apologize, you have the right to cry.” Marc said

I nodded and smiled at him before turning my attention back to my food. Leslie arrived with a tray full of the boys’ ‘usual’. Which consisted of four plates of French toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, one waffle, and toast. I looked at all the food and choked, I could barely finish my three pieces of French toast and they were all eating more than me.

“You guys get that every time you come here? Oh my, that’s a ton of food. I can barley finish mine.” I laughed taking another bite.

“We are growing hockey players, we need this food.” Jared said, pouring syrup on his waffle.

“Yeah, okay.”

As we all ate, we talked some more. I found out that Eric, Jordan, and Marc all played in the NHL and Jared was playing in the minors. Eric plays in North Carolina for the Hurricanes, Jordan plays in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for the Penguins, Marc plays in New York City for the Rangers, and Jared now plays for the Hurricanes’ AHL team. I told them about my writings and how I wanted to be an author or journalist. We talked for what seemed like forever, Leslie returned to the table to collect all the empty plates and left the checks.

“No rush on these guys, just wanted you to have them.” She said before heading to the one other full table in the place.

I reached across the table to get my check, but a large hand beat me to it. I looked up and saw that Jordan had both folders in his hand. “I got this.” Jordan said, shaking my check.

“No you don’t, I got it. You don’t have to do that Jordan.” I protested.

“Mackenzie, I’m paying for your meal and that’s final.”

I went to protest more but Marc shook his head with a chuckle. “Give it up, you’re going to lose.”

I huffed and crossed my arms across my chest. Truth is I haven’t had a guy offer to pay for me in years and I wasn’t use to it or how to respond to it. Be polite I heard my mother’s voice. I sighed and looked at the blond boy. “Thank you Jordan, you really don’t have to do that you know.”

“I know, but it’s my turn to pick up our tab and I decided I was getting yours too.”

“Well thanks again.” I looked across the restaurant and at the clock, I saw that it was almost ten. I needed to get going, find a place to stay. “Where is the closest hotel?” I finally asked.

“Why do you need a hotel? Didn’t you just say that you and your dad moved here? Shouldn’t you have a place to stay by now?” Jared asked. Then got smacked by Marc. “What was that for?” He asked his older brother.

“That was rude.” Was all he said.

“Um, well yeah we do…”

“Mackenzie,” Eric said quietly. “What’s going on? Why don’t you want to go home?” Then it dawned on him. “Those bruises are from your father aren’t they?” He asked.

I bit my lip and nodded, tears burning my eyes. Eric wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into his side and began rubbing my back. I heard someone one across the table from me curse and I looked and saw that both Marc and Jordan’s hands were clenched into fists and that Jared’s jaw muscles were jumping telling me that he had his teeth clenched.

None of them spoke, but I did. I needed to tell them what happened. “It all started about a week after we moved here.” I said in a tiny voice. “Dad got drunk and came bursting into my room. It was an accident, I was trying to get him to leave them room and he pulled his hand away and he hit me. After he helped me off the floor, I locked myself in the bathroom for the rest of the night.” I sat up and took a deep breath, wincing as pain radiated throughout my chest. “From that point on it got worse. He got drunk more often and came into my room more. At first it as just a smack and a punch here and there, but then as he got even more drunk it got worse.”

“Why didn’t you lock your door after that first night?” Eric asked.

“I did, he broke down the door. He fixed it the next day, but I never locked it again because it just made him angrier.”

“Mackenzie, none of this is your fault. You did nothing.” Jordan said, placing a caring hand on mine.

I wiped away the tears that were running down my face and smiled at him. “Thanks Jordan, I’ve been trying to tell myself that but I can’t believe myself. Hearing someone else say it helps.”

“No problem.” He smiled.

I excused myself from the table and went to the bathroom. I looked into the mirror and winced. The bruises looked terrible, the scratch I got from the door looked bad too. Those boys must have thought I got in a fight with a giant cat. I laughed at myself lightly and grabbed a paper towel. I wet my face and tried to calm myself down. I didn’t need to cry anymore. But I was in so much pain right now. I lifted my shirt and just stared at the bruises forming on my chest. That was going to hurt like a bitch tomorrow.

I made my way back to the table and noticed that Jordan was missing, but then I saw him at the register paying the checks. I didn’t say anything, just sat next to Eric and looked around the table.

“Mackenzie, you are coming to stay with us.” Marc said, reaching across the table and taking my hands in his. “We will protect you. You don’t need to be afraid anymore.”

I smiled through the new tears. “Thank you because I really don’t want to go back there. Dad’s different now and I don’t like it.” I was truly afraid of my father and no child should be afraid of their father.

Jordan returned and we all got up. At that moment I realized that Jordan had a walking cast on. Hmm, I wonder what happened to him. I wondered as he walked in front of me. Eric grabbed my back pack and threw it over his shoulder with ease. I followed the four boys out to the parking lot where there was only one other car. We came up to a black SUV and Jordan climbed into the driver’s seat, but Marc shook his head at his younger brother and told him to move.

“Would you like shotgun Mackenzie?” Jared asked

I smiled at the youngest Staal and shook my head. “No, you can take it Jared.” I said, climbing into the back seat.

“What, you don’t ask me? Your older brother?” Jordan whined. Jared just flipped him off and climbed into the seat.

I ended up begin squished between Eric and Jordan in the backseat. I should have been more hesitant to accept their offer, but I knew I could trust them. I knew they wouldn’t hurt me. The entire ride to their house we laughed and joked around with each other. I was quickly becoming one of them and I realized as we drove through the sleeping town that I had found friends in the four boys. Friends that I can talk to and trust. They were just the friends I needed, it was also a plus that they were all attractive.

Suddenly feeling tired, I gently rested my head on Eric’s shoulder and looked out the front window. Eric looked down at me and took my hand, rubbing small circles on it with his thumb. I sighed, there was just something about these boys that drew me in, especially Eric.

As I was drifting to sleep, a line of the song that was playing quietly on the radio caught my attention.

“…God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited