Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Twenty-Four

Two Weeks Later

I was happy, The Hurricanes were doing well and so were the other boys’ teams. The guys themselves were doing well on and off the ice. To make things better, Linda and Henry would be visiting Jared, Eric, and I soon.

I heard the front door open and Molly started barking. I put my pen down and got up to greet Jared, since Eric was on a road trip until tomorrow night. What I wasn’t expecting was to see Linda and Henry walking through the door with their bags behind them.

“Linda! Henry!” I exclaimed going over to help them. “What are you guys doing here? You weren’t supposed to be here until tomorrow night.”

Linda laughed and hugged me. “We wanted to surprise you.”

I hugged her back. “You know Eric’s not going to be home until tomorrow night, right? And Jared is leaving this afternoon for a road trip.”

Linda waved me off. “Like I said, we came to surprise you.”

I smiled and hugged Henry. “Let me take your bags for you.” I grabbed their suitcases and put them in the guest room they always stayed in when they came to visit. I joined them in the living room and we caught up. When Jared got home, he was very surprised to see his parents sitting in the living room.

“I’m sorry I can’t stay long.” He said, hugging his mom. “I just came back to grab my bag and then I need to head to the airport.”

“We understand, sweetheart.” Linda said hugging her son. “Good luck with your games and be sure to call us at some point.”

“You know I will, mom. Don’t let Kenz here drive you nuts.” He winked at me.

“You know she won’t drive us nuts.” Henry smiled and wrapped his arm my shoulders. “Unlike you and your brothers.”

“Love you too dad.” Jared chuckled. He looked at the clock by the tv and sighed. “I’ve got to get going.” He hugged his mom and dad again before hugging me. “Love you guys.”

We said goodbye to Jared and then Linda and I started dinner. We talked and laughed as we cooked. As the food cooked, I showed her the magazine I was getting most of my ideas for the wedding from. I also asked her for her opinion on things since I didn’t have any help from people here. Then an idea popped in my head, one that I’ve been playing with for a while.

“Linda,” I said quietly.

“Yes dear?” She turned from the stove and looked at me.

I took a deep breath and let it out loudly. “Do you think Henry would give me away?” I asked, not meeting the older woman’s eyes.

Linda wrapped me in a hug and I finally looked at her. Her eyes were swimming with tears and she had a huge smile on her face. “He should would. Go ask him.”

I nodded and went out to the living room, where Henry was watching television and petting Molly. Molly jumped up and came over to me and ran circles around me until I shooed her away. I took a seat next to Henry.

“How have you been Mackenzie?” He asked, looking over at me with a smile.

“I’ve been great. School is going well for me and I’m so much happier.”

“That’s great to hear. We were all worried about you for a long time there. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Eric so distraught about something that he was with you during those hard times.”

I felt the tears that always appeared when I thought back to those dark times burn my eyes, but I blinked them away. “I know and I hated seeing him like that, but there was nothing I could do to stop him feeling like that.” I admitted.

Henry wrapped his arm around my shoulders like he did earlier and pulled me into his side. He placed a kiss to the top of my head. “Sweetheart, just seeing you smiling and hearing you laugh again was all Eric needed to see. It was only a matter of time before you were better and Eric would have been with you every step of the way. He loves you.”

“And I love him.” I smiled. “He really has been my rock through all of this. Since the day I met the boys, they all have been, but Eric had the biggest impact on me.”

“And that’s why you two are getting married.” He chuckled.

I sat up and smiled at him. “We are and there is something I want to ask you.” I took a deep breath. “With everything I’ve been through since July, you have been the father mine never was able to be near the end there. Then you were there when he died and you treat me like I’m your daughter.” I smiled again. “Henry, will you give me away at my wedding?” I asked, tears burning my eyes.

I looked at the man in front of me and saw that he had tears in his eyes as well. He smiled at me and gave me a huge hug. “I would be honored to. Thank you so much for asking me, Mackenzie.”

“Thank you.”

Just then Linda came into the living room with tears on her face and she hugged the both of us at the same time. This is what I missed with my parents, the sense of togetherness. We talked about the summer and the wedding as we ate dinner and then sat down to watch Eric’s game. When that was finished, we stayed up late talking before we all called it a night. As I was getting ready for bed, my phone rang and I smiled when I saw it was Eric.

“Hey there. Sorry you guys lost. You played well though.” I said as I laid down.

Eric sighed. “I know, I don’t know what we are doing wrong.”

“You’ll figure it out.” I assured him. “Your parents are here.”

“I thought they weren’t coming until tomorrow.”

“They decided they wanted to surprise me.” I chuckled. “They did, that’s for sure.”

“How are they?”

“They’re good.” I trailed off. “I asked your dad to give me away.” I whispered.

“You did what?” He asked and I could hear the smile in his voice. “What did he say?”

I smiled as tears once again burned my eyes. “He said he would be honored to.”

“Sweetheart, that’s great. Why didn’t you tell me you were thinking about asking him?”

“I wanted it to be a surprise.”

“Well it is. I’m glad you asked him.” I heard someone come into the room and Eric talking to them. “Cam says hello and that he loves the dress you chose for the bridesmaids.”

I chuckled. “That seems to be the general opinion from most of the guys.”

“Well you sure know how to pick them. I can’t wait to see your dress.”

“I know you can’t.” He only told me every other day. I yawned and sunk lower into the bed. “Babe, I think I’m going to go to sleep. Have a great night and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Alright, sleep tight and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Love you.”

“You too, sweetie.”

We hung up and I placed my phone on my nightstand. A little more than four months until the wedding I smiled to myself as I got comfortable.

“Mrs. Mackenzie Staal.” I whispered into the room, smiling.

Soon I wasn’t able to keep my eyes open any more and I fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited