Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Nine

I’ve been with Jared and Eric in Raleigh for a little less than a month and everything was better. I had to get use to living with two hockey players during the season, but we made it work. Eric made me take his pre-game nap with him and at first I refused because I thought it was weird, but as I soon learned that it took a lot for a player to change their pre-game routines and it was better to just go along with it.

It seemed that whenever Eric was on the road, Jared had a few home game stretches, so I was rarely alone. When I was alone I never knew what to do with myself, usually I had homework to do but that can only keep me so busy. Of course I watched the games, but it just wasn’t the same as being there or having someone with me.

Eric had a road trip coming up and usually I would be depressed leading up to it. This time was different because I was going with him. They were playing the New York Rangers, so that meant I was going to see Marc. I was super excited to go because I haven’t seen Marc since he left to start the season and I had promised him he would be the first one I would visit. Not only was I getting to see Marc, but the teams were playing each other on Eric’s birthday so it was going to be a fun day. Then after this road trip, the Penguins were coming in to play in Raleigh and Jordan decided he was going to take the trip with the team. So I was getting to spend the weekend with my boys.

I spent the day of the road trip packing since we were leaving right after the game against the Capitals tonight. While Eric took his pre-game nap, Jared took me to the mall so I could get Eric a birthday present. I wasn’t sure what to get him and Jared wasn’t any help, so we were there up until Eric and I had to get to the arena. I handed Jared my bags and grabbed my jersey before following Eric to the car.

As the final horn sounded I shook my head. The team lost, but played a good game, it just wasn’t enough. Since they were leaving tonight, Paul Maurice gave them a couple of hours to get their things together and meet back up at the arena to catch the bus to the airport. The ride home was quiet, the team had a tough loss. They were shut out and Eric wasn’t happy with the way the team played.

“Eric.” I said quietly. “Please don’t let this loss ruin this weekend.” Eric unlocked the front door and walked to his room without a word. I followed behind him and sat next to him on the bed. “Hey, are you going to talk to me or just ignore me?” I asked quietly.

“Why does it matter if I’m in a bad mood or not this weekend? You’re going to have Marc and Jordan, you’re not even going to care if I’m happy or not.“ He said.

I gasped. “Eric, you know that’s not true. I care about you, of course I want you to be happy. It shouldn’t matter if your brothers are in town or not. But for the love of God, it’s your birthday in two days and you get to see your brothers. I know you miss them and I know they miss you too.”

Eric sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “I know, I’m just upset about this game. We should have played a thousand times better that that. We could have at least scored once and I would have been happy.”

I placed a hand on his shoulder. “I know, but it‘s part of the game. I just want you to remember that I am here if you want to talk. Even if it is to vent about the calls or something. I’m here.” I sealed my statement with a light kiss on his lips. “Now push that game to the back of your mind and start getting focused on Friday’s game. You are playing Marc and you have said that he is the toughest defenseman to go up against.”

Eric turned on me and pushed me down on the bed. “I hate when you use my words against me.” He laughed, kissing me. “Thank you.” He whispered when he pulled away. “I’m glad you are here.”

I smiled and kissed him back before flipping him off of me and heading to my room to make sure I had everything. Finally it was time to head back to the arena. I skipped into the living room and placed my bag by the door.

“Say hi to Marc and Jordan for me.” Jared said, coming out of his room. He had two away games on Friday and Saturday, his team was leaving tomorrow after practice.

“I will. Good luck on your games.” I gave him a hug.

Eric and I were soon on our way to the arena and I was slightly nervous about traveling with the team. I didn’t really know anyone very well. Eric claims that I’m just too shy around them, and he was right I was. I never liked meeting new people.

“Relax, you are freaking out about nothing.” Eric laughed, taking my hand. “I know for a fact that the guys like you, so there is nothing to worry about.”

“I know.” I smiled.

The bus was already there when we pulled up, so Eric just transferred my bag from the trunk to the luggage storage. I stood by the curb awkwardly, waiting for Eric to join me.

“How are you today?” Someone asked coming up next to me.

I turned and saw Cam Ward standing next to me with a smile on his face. “I’m good, how are you holding up?” I asked him.

“Eh, I’ve been better.” He chuckled. “You ready for the trip?”

“I am, I love watching you guys play and the fact that you are playing the Rangers makes it even better.”

“You just want to see Marc.” He teased.

Cam was the one person that I wasn’t shy around. He was a really sweet, fun guy, he was also Eric‘s best friend. He knew where I came from and everything that has happened to me. I have baby-sat for him and his wife once or twice. He was a great guy and we’ve become friends pretty fast.

I smiled at him “You caught me.” I laughed,

“Who are you cheering for?” He asked.

“It better be for us.” Eric said, coming up from behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist.

“You will just have to wait and see.” I told them, smiling to myself.

A while ago I had gotten three shirts made. Each one had a different combination of the boys’ teams on it. All of them also had ‘Staal’ on the back. None of the boys knew I had them made, Linda and Henry got a kick out of them.

Coach Maurice called roll and then we boarded the bus and we were at the airport within half an hour. I was exhausted by this point so I spent the entire flight asleep on Eric’s shoulder. I only woke up long enough to walk through the airport and to get back to the bus. As soon as we were seated I was back to sleep. Eric woke me up and carried my to my room and kissed me before leaving. I didn’t bother with changing, I just climbed into bed and went to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited