Status: Workin' on it. :)

Dimples

Welcome to the Family

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

You have no idea how true that is.

You see, my family is unhappy. But only to me. No one else sees it. Not my parents, not my little sister, not even the neighbor’s dog. Only me.

See, we are in essence very functional and organized in the most dysfunctional and disorganized way ever imagined. Take my mother for example; she is a perfectly primped mother of two who gets Botox with her country club friends, drags Marney to every godforsaken ballet lesson each Tuesday, and bitches about me playing video games too much. Normal, yeah? Almost sickeningly so? Well, there’s another side to my mother. My mother is also clinically depressed, drinks a little too much wine every night, and steals my dad’s Oxycontin when he’s away on business trips. Not so happy anymore, yeah? Well watch as our pretty mask crumbles.

My sister- well, my half sister- is staying with us for a few days. She’s in college, so she’s substantially older than Marney and me. She’s the product of my dad’s first marriage, so generally my mother doesn’t like her much. I like Michelle, though.

“Pass the potatoes, please,” dad emerges from the silence that has consumed the table for nearly ten minutes.

Marney picks up the Tupperware container filled with mashed potatoes and passes them to dad. He mouths a thanks and Marnie nods and starts to play with the paper napkin in her lap. Mother’s pinched smile flickers like a light bulb. Marnie stops.

Michelle clears her throat. “So… Elijah. Have you thought about any schools yet?”

I open my mouth and words I hadn’t expected come out.

“-He’s staying in state. Elijah’s going to West so he can live at home,” mom says.

My mouth stays open and nothing comes out.

Michelle raises her eyebrows and dad drops his fork. Marney rips her napkin in half and the dog lets out a high, whiny fart.

“Jesus, Earl.” Dad gets up from the table, waving his hand in front of his nose and he grabs hold of Earl’s collar. Then he drags him out of the room in silence.

“…What?” I finally say.

Mom blots her mouth with her napkin, staining it with pink. “You’re going to West.” She looks me with her penciled in eyebrows held high.

“No. No I’m not.”

“Yes-“

“Mommy, can I be excused?” Marney cuts in, sensing dangerous waters.

“No,” mom says without looking at her. “Have some more green beans.”

Marney doesn’t say anything more and stares down at her lap, playing with her napkin again.

“Elijah, honey, I think West is the best option for you-“ mom starts.

“Mom, it’s my decision.”

“But you should respect my opinion.”

“I do. But it’s not what I want.”

“You don’t know what you want.”

“So? It doesn’t mean that I should go to West.”

“But West will be best for you.” Mom leans forward and her voice gains a tone of authority.

“Says who?” I retort.

“How dare you speak to me that way?” She pinches her lips together and stares furiously at me.

I close my eyes and lean back in my chair. I open my eyes. “Mom, you don’t know what’s best for me.”

“Yes, I do. I know what’s best for you. I would know better than you, that’s for sure.” She shakes her head and her lips curl as a snarky laugh escapes the prison of lipstick.

I look quickly to my left for support but Michelle’s chair is empty. I turn my head back to mom and smile with my teeth, leaving an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

“You can’t say that. You don’t know me, mom.” I grab my plate and stand up.

“Sit down!” mom screams and suddenly she’s standing and her nails are digging into the tablecloth.

Marney throws her napkin on the table and runs out of the room.

“Marney! Get your ass back down here right now!” mom shouts and her face turns a dark shade of red.

Footsteps sound going up the stairs and a door slams.

Mom turns back to me and I give her a disgusted look. “I’m going upstairs.” I start to walk towards the kitchen.

“I know what’s best for you, Elijah!” mom yells and her high heels clack after me.

“No you don’t. You don’t know me at all.”

Mom stops in her tracks and I leave her behind.

“I know you! I know my boy!” She cries.

“Whatever, mom.”

I hear her clacking behind me again and she grabs my shirt, her fingernails grazing my back.

I whip around and grab her wrist. “Don’t touch me.”

“Listen to your mother. I know what is best for you and you will do as I say.” She glares straight into my eyes.

I glare back and drop my dinner plate onto the floor. “I said don’t touch me.” I tear her grip from my shirt and walk out of the kitchen and retreat upstairs.

Michelle is waiting in the upstairs hallway. “How’d it go?”

“Fan-fricken-tastic.” I push past her and open the door to my room.

“Figured. Marney’s crying pretty hard,” Michelle says, leaning next to the door.

I turn around and press my hand to my forehead. “Shit,” I mumble.

“It’s not your fault. Your mom’s a bitch.”

I sniff in amusement. “Yeah. Thanks.”

“Anytime, Li-Juh.”

It’s quiet for a moment. “Think I should talk to Marney?”

“Enh… I think she’ll be alright… She might need a hug though.”

I smile slightly. “Okay. I’m on it.” I start to walk towards the door with the Cinderella poster and then turn. “Wanna come?”

Michelle raises her eyebrows. “No thanks.”

“Right.” I nod and walk to Marney’s door. I take a short breath and knock. “Marney?”

“What?” a small voice whimpers followed by a sniffle.

“Can I come in?”

She doesn’t answer, so I open the door.

“Hey, Mar.” I smile and sit down next to her on the bed. Little tears are running down her cheeks and she’s clutching her heart pillow to her chest. The pink TV is on some Disney movie and she’s staring intently at the screen.

“You okay?”

She keeps staring at the TV and shakes her head.

“…Are you gonna be okay?”

“Mmhm.”

“Okay.”

I start to watch the TV too. It’s The Little Mermaid.

It’s the music number where Ursula turns Ariel into a human.

After a while Marney turns her little, red face to me. “Elijah… Does mommy not like me?”

I look at her. “Marney, what are you talking about? Of course she likes you. She loves you.”

Marney looks down at the floor. “I know.”

“Then you’re fine,” I say and ruffle her hair.

She bats at my hands until I stop messing with her and then she giggles.

I kinda smile. “I’m gonna go do some homework, okay?”

Marney nods her head and laughs a little.

I stand up and the scratch marks on my back send a little sting up my spine. “Later, Mar.” I give her a girl scouts salutation.

She salutes back. “Later, Li.”

I close the door behind me and head into the hall bathroom that’s decked out Marney-style.

I flick on the light switch and lock the door.

Turning around, I lift up the back of my shirt and peek over my shoulder at the scratch marks.

Three shallow cuts glow bright red in the harsh light.

“Jesus.” I lower my shirt and rub the back of my head.

I’m Elijah Goodman.

Welcome to my family.
♠ ♠ ♠
Way different than the first chapter... They kind of go back and forth between serious and fluffy. I love the fluff though. So there'll be plenty of that. :D

Comment if you love. ♥
Comment if you hate. D:<
Comment if you're indifferent.
Comment if you wish to recieve muffins with fancy hats. :D