Two Pointless Fables

The Mother and her Son

The strong Black Wolf huffed proudly as he stood over the dead dear. His breath was a visible mist in the air as the flakes of snow swirled around him. Some of it landed on his warm think fur, some landed on the earth of snow below his paws, and some landed on his freshly killed food. His torn ear winced, fur snapped in a jolt, and nosed picked up a scent from behind.

“Just like I taught you,” The spun around and focused his weight onto his back heels, ready to pounce. But before him stood a beautiful gray/white wolf; she was old but stood proud before the Black Wolf.

That was all the Wolf needed, a split second, before he realized who stood before him, “Mother...” The Black Wolf slowly rose to stand tall; his silver shimmering eyes glared at his mother that he hadn't seen in years.. Since he left her small home to find his own life.

His mother's lips curved into a sweet inviting smile, the one he could remember growing up, one he missed. Her aged fur dangled in the breeze, puffs of snow danced around them as they gazed at each other. She sighed happily, her breath not visible to him, then she spoke. Her voice was clamored by warmed and gentle pitches, “Yes my son,” She slowly pranced toward her son, swaying side to side, “My, how have you grown.” She stepped to his side, he stood still as she examined her son, “I remember when you were a pup. You were the only one I was ever able to birth.”

The Black Wolf stood still, never in his life had he been so nervous; not when the human hunter aimed the rifle and nearly ripped his ear off, not when he first left his mother. His mother danced in the snow all around him, admiring her only son. Eventually he mumbled, “I grew up strong for you mother..”

“I know you did my dear son,” She came up to his side, “I am very proud of you; you're so strong, so brave. You have scars, you have experience, you have admiration, and you have made me very proud. But now I have one final request..”

“Yes mother, anything..”

“Good..” With that, the proud mother wolf pounced and sprinted away from her son.

The Black Wolf quickly pounced into action and followed after his mother. He watched his mother spring and gracefully dance through the snow covered trees. She didn't kick up snow with her paws, her grace was true. He followed her for hours before he lost track of her. Her beautiful white flawless fur mingled with the fall of snow. The Wolf huffed, “Mother? What do you ask of me? Why have you come to me after so long?”

Her voice calmed his pulsing heart, “Do you remember the promise we made each other when you were a pup?”

The Wolf turned his head up, his nose aimed at the moon that fed light to the clouds above. Up above him, stood his mother upon a cliff. He slowly barked, “What promise mother? I was a young pup, I can't remember, please forgive the wolf that can't remember a promise he swore.”

The Mother yelped a happy laugh as she gazed down at her son, “My son, you have not a thing to be sorry for.” She gave him a huff and nodded.

The Wolf took her signal and quickly pounced from one jagged rock to another; moving up the icy cliff with each pounce. After a few seconds, the black wolf landed before his mother; tired and puffing, “Mother.. What is this all about?”

“You were my only child, I was your only mother..” Her nose gently nuzzled his forehead between his glimmering orbs, “So we promised never to leave each other.. Do you remember now?”

The Wolf slowly staggered to his wet paws, “Y-Yes..” He remembered perfectly now. The Wolf remembered seeing his father die before his eyes. He remembered feeling his mother clenching him in her mother.. He remembered the final time his father spoke.. howling.. in pain as the hunter gave the final shot.. That night the pup cried and howled for his father, asked him to come back.. but the father never came back.. His mother just watched the pup's hope wither away with each whimpering howl.. He remembered he howled until his throat cracked and he couldn't even whimper.. He remember his mother slowly nuzzling him and howling for his father for hours after he couldn't.. But she didn't howl for him to return, she howled him her good byes.... The Wolf slowly stood; remembering what the two promised each other that night... The Wolf sniffled as he did his best to keep in the tears, “I remember you promised me that you would never leave.. And.. I promised you I would never leave you..” He gazed at his mother and watched her walk to the small opening of a cave, her home, and his.. “Oh mother... I've been gone so long.. I broke our promise.. Please forgive me.. Mother..”

“You never broke your promise my son.. You were always with me.. In my dreams, in my mind, when I worried or when I remembered.. You were always with me my dear.. You do not need to ask forgiveness..” Her voiced whimpered as she slowly disappeared into the cave, “It's I who needs to ask it..”

“Mother?” The Wolf followed his mother into the cave, “What do you mean? It was I who left you behind.. I was the horrible son...”

“No...” Her voice soft and gentle, only a whisper in his ears now, “You did what I wanted you to do.. You grew strong, you grew brave, you grew up into a son I love and adored... But now...”

The Wolf slowly stepped into her chamber. High above, the cave had an opening between the rocks, letting the moonlight in.. Letting the Wolf see his mother.. She lay still in the moonlight, breathless.. Lifeless... The Wolf didn't move, didn't sniff, didn't listen for her movements.. He didn't have to, he knew it already..

Her voice whispered into his ears, “But now... I ask for your forgiveness.. I broke our promise my son... I can no longer stay...”

“No mother.. Please.. No!” The Wolf pounced to his mother's body, “Don't do this to me!” Her voice didn't reply as he gazed down at her beautiful lifeless mother... “Mother... You taught me everything.. You loved me.. You were everything I tried so hard for... I... I love you Mother... And I forgive you... Thank you for everything...”

That night, the whole forest heard the Wolf howl.. He did not howl for his mother to return... He howled his good byes.. The Wolf never understood why his mother howled her goodbyes so long ago.. He hated her for not calling for his father.. But now he understood .. His Father had passed, now she passed on.. But she never broke her promise..

The Black Wolf Howled up toward the moon, shimmering snow dangled through the opening of the cave...Silver shimmers swayed with the slight breeze that snaked through the cave..

A final whisper... A final howl of good bye...
The wolf slowly turned and walked away...
His mother had died, but their promise remained.. To him, death did not divide them.. She was gone from the world, but his mother would never leave his heart...
All things must live, and eventually must die... Only love lives on with time...