Status: I have a very strong love/hate relationship with this story. I update like once a month. Just FYI ;)

Anaesthetic Heart

O N E

"Can I get two double cheeseburgers and two small cokes, to go please." I smiled softly at the lady behind the McDonald's till. She looked bored and somehow sad, but a light played behind her eyes. A secret untold, or a joke to herself.

She nodded back, "Anything else?" Her eyes crinkled.

"No, thank you." I murmured, pulling my wallet from my small bag at my side. The soft grey corduroy felt nice against my cold fingers, as I laid my hand protectively over the material knowing my entire life was inside that bag. My wallet, my phone, my keys, my makeup and my journal. Everything I needed.

When my order came I took the small bag and drinks out to the truck, my shoulders shaking slightly from the cold of the late winter winds. Sliding into the passenger seat, I smiled as the warm air lapped against my ruddy cheeks. My bestfriend Mackenzie laughed, taking the food from me as I buckled my seatbelt and set my bag in the backseat of the truck.

Grabbing a burger, Mackenzie pulled the truck back onto the highway leading out of the small town we were passing through. The truck roared loudly, and the smell of McDonald's filled the cab. The frosty air coated the morning with sparkling whites, and soft feathers of snow and frost was clinging to anything willing to give up its cold surface. I placed my burger aside for later, and curled my feet up on my seat. I rested my head against the cool window, and sipped at my coke.

I turned my head to look at Mackenzie, the boy I've known a majority of my life but never learned to appreciate until a few years ago. That is, until he left his parents and his home and joined me in the city. Mackenzie was sitting with his back slightly slouched into his chair, one arm sitting on the arm rest, the other wrapped around the wheel. His knuckles were tightening and loosening against the wheel, his jaw clenching in time. His light hair fell gently into his eyes, which were dark and round from tiredness and built up tension. He was just as nervous as I was.

"Mack," I muttered, my own sleepiness catching up with me, as I stared into his face and tried to catch his wandering mind, "How long have we been on the road, now? It feels like ages."

He yawned and checked the dashboard clock, "About thirty-eight hours. Give or take a while." He ran a hand through his hair and adjusted the heat before smiling over at me, "Why, are you getting bored of my company?"

"Never!" I stifled my laugh but smiled over at him, "But if we've been driving for thirty-eight hours, that would imply we have twelve hours left before we reach Graghat." I yawned lazily, stretching until my fingers grazed the roof of the cab.

"You should nap, or at least pretend to. Sleeping in the backseat on the side of the road is not really enough for you. You get cranky." Mackenzie laughed softly under his breath. Keeping an eye on the wheel, he reached over and ruffled my dark hair, nudging me in the ribs at the same time.

"I hate when you do that!" I yelled in mock desperation fixing my already messy hair, by patting it a few times. The dark knots just stayed in place, so there was no reason for the bother. Mack just laughed before reaching his arm behind his seat and grabbing something. I turned away annoyed, before I realized what he was doing. When I turned back quickly, a bright ball of woolly blanket was tossed at my face.

Laughing I hit him lightly on the arm, and curled up with the soft fabric. My head was now against the cool window, and I could feel the vibrations from the truck thrumming through my head. The feeling was comfortable and normal, not something i was averse to. I sighed, tempted to actually sleep. But then Mack would get sleepy from seeing a person sleep, and from the morning air and drowsy road. No matter how much he'd say he loved caffeine.

I could see Mack yawn and turned the stereo on, the soft noise hummed through the old speakers. His fingers hovered on the stereo knobs before moving to drum lightly on the steering wheel, as his eyes watched the road.

I sighed. Mack shot me a look, as I ignored his sleeping request and pulled out a book he had bought me at the start of the trip, The Wine maker's Daughter. I had never read it, but neither had he. He liked the way the cover looked, two hands scooping water. And he liked the way the title sounded. Heaven only knows how much that boy thinks with his head rather than his groin, like a normal teenage boy would.

Just then the engine groaned a few times, and Mack had to urge the vehicle on. "I don't see why you treat it like it's going to listen, it's a old truck, not a long lost lover." I grumbled under my breath.

"Don't insult her, or she may never work again!" He said, frantically cooing to the dashboard and patting the wheel softly. He shot me an apologetic look, "Maggie is an important part of my life." I just burst out laughing, with no sense of control. He pouted jokingly, before he too began to chuckle.

We continued to drive, the day warming as the sun rose. By lunch, i was over halfway through the book. "Hey, Danny?" Mack asked, pulling the truck up to a Smitty's we had seen off the main highway.

"Yeah?" I responded, tossing my book into the back.

"Will you do me a favor," His voice was serious as I searched his downturned face. Mack rummaged around for his wallet, but then met my eyes for an answer. I nodded before he continued, "When we get to Graghat, promise me you'll be careful?"

"I promise," I smiled reassuringly at him, but felt a thick knot build into the center of my stomach. Be careful? What do I have to be careful from? We're just moving home. "Can we go eat now?"

"Sure thing, " He chuckled, hopping gracefully out of the driver seat. I swung my door open, and went to hop out just as he'd down, but I slipped a little on the ice and had to catch the door for support. Mack laughed, and gave me his arm to support myself. He knew me well, and he knew how clumsy I was.

The air was warm inside, and the dining area was well lit. We got a table near a window, and waited for a waitress to take our order. Mack and I talked a little about nothing really, until my mind nagged on me. "I'm nervous for Graghat!" I blurted out.

"Danielle," Mack sighed heavily. He ran his hand over his face, "We talked about this, you knew as much as I did that Graghat was going to be a challenge. You knew that going to live with your Grandma and your Dad was not going to be easy, and you knew that me coming with you would be just as difficult."

"I know, Mack. But, I'm terrified of the thought of that crazy town." I mumbled, sliding my coat off my shoulders. I took a big gulp of the water in front of me, as Mack watched me. "I know this is a good thing, I know it. I mean, I've been having this feeling that going back was just... neccessary, you know? But I'm scared. It's been so long. For me, and for you." I knotted my hands together.

The waitress appeared beside our table. She was really tall and bony, but had a nice smile. Mack ordered for us both, and continued with our conversation the moment the waitress was out of earshot, "It's only been a few years, Danny. Besides, this is your chance at getting a fresh start. Away from your Mom and your Step Father." Mack reached over and pulled at my hands, slowly forcing me to unknot them as he held my left hand in his and rubbed soothing circles into my palm.

I nodded, " I know Mack, maybe you're right. But I still can't shake this feeling." I was feeling extremely down, but I swallowed the dryness in my mouth and looked up to see Mack's reaction. I stiffled a giggle as he waggled his eyebrows.

"Darling, I am always right!" Mack boasted. His eyes were suddenly serious and he was about to add something else, when the waitress showed up with our plates. he pulled his hand away and handed me a set of silverware. It looked delicious, and we dug in right away. Mack peeked at me over his stack of pancakes, and I flung a large chunk of whipped cream at him. Right when he was about to retaliate the waitress came along.

She gave us a dirty look, before setting the check on the table. We finished eating quickly, stifling laughter at random intervals. With my coat back on, we went to the counter. I pulled out the debit card my Grandma had sent me, and paid. By the time we left the restaurant, it was three o'clock and getting colder. Mack wrapped his shoulder around me and half-jogged us to the truck. When we reached the truck, my teeth were vibrating lightly, and I sighed as he cranked the heat. I wrapped the wool blanket around me tightly, anxious for the cab to fill with warmth.

"Go to sleep, and don't you dare argue with me. You've been fighting it for hours. " Mack's voice was stern, taking on the big bother tone. He smiled at me, "I'll be fine, I can't sleep over you're snoring anyway."

"i do not snore!" I said horrified. He just smiled, and pulled onto the highway again. I snuggled into the blanket, "I really don't." I murmured disgruntled. Mack shrugged, and soon my eyes began to get heavy. The truck was warm again, and the thrumming of the soft radio played behind me. My eyes drooped closed, as I listened to the soft quiet breath of Mack and tried to match my breathing to his own. it went dark.

I was shaken from sleep. Mack was leaning over me and whispering gently, "Danny, we're here. We're finally in Graghat." I groaned sitting up, and froze. Mack's words suddenly hit me, and I looked around. We were parked in the driveway of a large light green house, snow covering the porch and roof. Welcome home, Danielle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mmkay, so this is the first chapter.
I'm not quite sure where i am taking this,
Only that i am taking it somewhere.
Comment?
i applaud you (:

PS : http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=25442116
For those curious readers.

EDITED