Status: I have a very strong love/hate relationship with this story. I update like once a month. Just FYI ;)

Anaesthetic Heart

T W E L V E

The sudden reality of the days events hit me, a long row of blow after blow as each thought struck me, damn it, it's all real. I stared up at Faron's gentle face, the smile slipping unceremoniously from my lips. I thought again of the changes I had seen, and cleared my voice softly to get his attention. "Faron, what - this sounds rude, but - what are you?" I felt red spring to my cheeks the moment I let the words out into the air between us.

I was very aware of the way we were sitting. I was battered and bruised, laying in my bed half naked and swathed in blankets while he sat cautiously on the edge. If I reached my hand out I could touch his arm, wait what?

He turned his face towards me, and sudden fear washed over me. What did I just ask, what if he's a monster? Then, ever so slowly, the corners of his lips turned up and he broke into a huge grin. He tipped his head back a little and a soft laugh floated from his chest, hearty and full of amusement. He looked back at me and answered, still smiling, "I forgot you didn't know anything. You're like a child." He began laughing again but slowed and looked at me, a little more serious this time, "I'm an elemental, Danny. My entire family is. Do you know what that is, an elemental?" his voice was gentle and urging, and just like he said as if he was talking to a toddler. I began to nod my head on reflex, but stopped and shook my head no.

He smiled gentler now, "It's a person, or rather similar to a person, who can control elements. They can bend them to their will and manipulate them. Of course, the element they demand determines their power. And how many they can control at that. I'm a third tier elemental, meaning that out of seven I can control three. The more you control, the more powerful. There are four that they call 'natural elements' meaning the basic ones you'd think of: fire, water, air, and earth. Then of course there are the three 'other elements', which are considered much stronger and much more rare to control, including: metal, electricity and spirit. Controlling all seven shoots you straight to the top in elemental hierarchy. Do you want to know what I control?" I bit my lip, then shook my head eagerly. His smile returned, and I think I liked it. "I control earth, fire, and electricity."

"But wait," I interrupted him, curiousity now spiking my mouth into action, "Wouldn't that make you really powerful, controlling electricity? Didn't you say it was rare." I thought back to the strange tangible air I had felt around him, the static electricity on my thighs when he held me on the counter - it clicked.

He nodded slowly," I did, but not quite. Seeing as other than electricity I can only control two elements that puts me at about the middle if we were ranking strength. My sister, for example can control all four natural elements, putting her just a little stronger than me. My mother controls six of seven, and my father is seven for seven." I stared at him in awe, a little miffed, "My family is very strong and very old. But the thing with elementals is that they usually have a family element that they are supposed to be exceedingly strong with; for my family it happens to be earth." He sounded slightly bitter.

He turned his face back to meet mine and I cocked an eyebrow at him, "What's wrong with earth?" I asked tentatively.

Faron smiled, "Nothing is wrong with earth, something is wrong with me." He laughed at the confused expression I shot his way, "It's just that although I control it, and I'm linked to it through my family line, I feel disconnected from it. I mean, look at my room compared to Lizbeth's, there is no reason I should not feel as strongly towards it."

"Maybe you just need time," I murmured, pulling the blanket tighter to my chin.

"Yeah, but I think you need time to sleep. How about you take a nap and I'll go check on downstairs?" I opened my mouth to interject, to say I didn't want to be alone, but he stepped in, "Don't worry, I'll only be gone a minute or two, then I'll come right back." He smiled gently, as he got up and made his way to the door. I watched the way his shoulders flexed as he turned out into the hallway.

I felt instantly cold, although I was fully aware that the temperature hadn't dropped, but the company in the room seemed to have taken the heat with it when it left. I burrowed farther into my bed, feeling the edges of sleep begin to grip onto me, pushing me deeper into blackness. I fought it; I fought the drowsiness that filled my head and the numbness that drifted through my limbs, I need to think. Why had Cibrian snapped so quickly, why had it taken so long for someone to do something, why was it my father, why did Faron bring me inside, why did Gran act so nervous one second and brisk the next, and why the hell am I just lying in this bed like a wimp?

I threw back the covers deciding that no matter what I was going to go and do something, I was going to find out what the hell was going on and take back control in my now spiral-ling life. I stood up, feeling blood rush to my ears as I straightened out too soon. Sensing something was off, I looked down to my stomach to find the once violet bruises were now a dull brown. The amount of healing that would have taken weeks was done in a matter of minutes. Shocked, I pressed my fingers to one gently only to feel a slight pressure but no real pain. "Impossible," I mumbled, pulling off my shorts and sliding on a pair of yoga pants Lizbeth had given me. Although, they were originally far too long and she had spent nearly an hour hemming them for me. I grabbed an old hoodie that Mack had shrunk in the wash and pulled it on over my sports bra. I looked in the mirror, and noticed my hair was a mess so I tore through it with a brush and forced myself to stare at the disheveled girl before me.

You're being foolish, Danielle. This is your life, your friends and your family. They only want what's best for you, always have and always will. Why are you afraid of your family? I could hear my voice in my head, placid and patient and telling me what I already knew. But then, "Because they're monsters," I mumbled, then gasped as my own words registered back to me. That's a lie, just go downstairs. I breathed heavily, and padded out the door but froze at the top of the stairs.

"Thank you again for talking to the counsel members for us, Deriuh. My family owes you a great deal. Also, thank you for lending Zhen to our aid these past few days." My father's low rumbles floated up the stairs, dancing around my head and registering home. Wait, what... Zhen?

"It is the honour of my people to assist the leader of our great counsel in his time of need." A voice I didn't recognize spoke slowly, with the silken grace of years of control and patience, the words sounding like butter falling off his tongue. He cleared his throat, "Young Danielle seems to have become quite a companion to my son, Zhen." I smiled a little, then hold on! His son, so that's his dad?

"Father, please. You're embarrassing me." I heard Zhen's quiet tones float up to where I was standing, now thoroughly confused. Why is he being so polite? "Marcus, I believe she is awake, now." Fuck. I took that as my que, as slowly descended the stairs. My father was standing in the middle of our living room, Zhen's father directly across from him, and Zhen himself standing behind him with his arms grasped behind his back and his posture tall. He looked like he belonged in the military. But that wasn't all.

Through the thin cotton of his t-shirt, I could see his muscles; they looked more defined and agile then they had before, something I did not think possible. His hair looked darker, the black from before now a glossy sheen as it appeared to have grown a good ten inches longer than it was when I had last seen him. His face seemed more defined as well, older and more mature. His eyes that were usually a warm golden colour seemed to blaze brighter, and as I approached the group I could see a darker ring of gold I had never noticed. Or couldn't notice. I tore my eyes from Zhen, as I felt my stomach tighten and little flutters fill my chest.

I turned my attention to his father, whom had just outstretched his hand, "Deriuh Devarie and it is my absolute pleasure to be able to meet you Danielle," His hand was calloused and large, although his fingers were slender and rather gentle as they encased mine. I pulled my hand back and stared into his face, seeing almost an exact duplicate of Zhen, his face barely lined with age although you could see in his eyes that he must have been older than my father. His hair was much longer than Zhen's, and streaked with the most fascinating strands of silver hair I had seen on an aging figure.

I smiled half warily, turning to meet my father's face before responding to Deriuh, "Pleasure is mine, to what do I owe this delight?" I kept my voice even and used my manners, although I really just wanted to ask why the hell he was in my house talking about me with my father and his son.

"Zhen has come to ask you something," My Dad's voice was gentle and prodding, "Why don't you accompany him on the deck while his father and I discuss business?" I nodded slowly, and on my mark Zhen stepped around his father and offered me his arm so that he could lead me from the room. Did we time travel to a past century? I smiled and took it graciously, letting him take me into the garage before I smiled and dropped my arm.

"Okay, spill Zhen. What's going on, why are you being so..." I didn't know what to say, my smile faltering as I just gestured to him.

"Sorry," He smirked, tucking his hands into the pockets of his jeans as I pulled on a random pair of garden boots, "He's just.. let's say he is old-fashioned."

"I like old-fashioned," I beamed, as Zhen and I walked out through the garage door and up to the deck. I walked over to an old swing and sat down, patting the seat beside me. Zhen took it graciously, and I looked out over the lawn, and saw just below the steps a bunch of snow had been tousled up and far down by some trees there was a little blood, crimson breaking through the vast white. I gulped and faced Zhen, "So what is it you were going to ask me?" I was curious now. Zhen slowly began rocking the swing, back and forth, back and forth.

His smile dropped a bit, and I saw him shift in his seat, a very uncommon movement for him, "Well, this is going to sound a bit fast, Danielle but I have something for you," I smiled when he looked at me, his golden eyes gleaming. I felt like a gymnast was doing flips on my stomach. He shifted his weight and pulled something out of his back pocket. He took my hand in his and gently placed something in my palm, his fingers dragging delicately across mine. I looked down to see a bright green box, detailed with intricate wood patterns and delicate brass furnishings.

"What is it?" I breathed, running my finger over the smooth finish.

"In my heritage, it is tradition for a suitor to present their interest with a gift when they ask them to accompany them somewhere. The gift is supposed to represent both the suitor and the girl, so I chose the box to represent me and what is inside to represent you. Go ahead, look," His voice sounded slightly nervous, but the silken grace that always followed his words still clung to my ears as i gently opened the box. it was lined with white satin, that gleamed in the days light. And set into the fabric was a pair of beautiful sapphire earrings, dark and round glistening as they sat on their bed of satin. They were simple studs about the size of my fingernail that took my breathe away, as I quickly turned to face Zhen.

He smiled, "The box represents me as it was passed down through my family for generations, and it once belonged to my great-great-great grandfather as he presented it to his interest the first time they went together. The earrings represent you, as they remind me of your eyes. Dark, enchanting and full of beauty. Just as you are," His voice was much softer than it was merely seconds ago, and I was suddenly aware that we had stopped swinging. "Danielle, would you do me the honour of going to the Christmas Ball with me?"

My heart was suddenly in my throat, and the jiggling and whirling of butterflies suddenly erupted. I looked at Zhen, looked at his bright golden eyes and corners of his lips as he playfully smiled, and I looked at the way his hand rested beside mine on the swing and thought of the way it felt touching mine, "Yes, yes of course!" I beamed, and threw my arms around his neck, hugging him tightly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter twelve. and if you add two onto that,
you get my exact time right meow.
That's right folks, it's 2AM!
But i promised and update,
so damnit I updated! BUT
I bet none of y'all saw that coming.
Bet you all thought she'd end up with Faron,
and things between them would be dandy.
Or maybe they might be yet, (;
IDK, tell me what you think of this?
I applaud you, (:

PS: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=45392156
For Curious Readers

PSS: I LOVE PERFECT.MESS & HER
PATIENCE TO PUT UP WITH ME. <3
ahahahahah.