Status: I have a very strong love/hate relationship with this story. I update like once a month. Just FYI ;)

Anaesthetic Heart

T H I R T E E N

"Ahem," Zhen's father Deriuh cleared his voice politely, but with an edge to it that definitely made it clear to us he was there. We quickly pulled apart from our embrace, as I shot my eyes to the ground, a gentle surge of embarrassment filling my chest. Deriuh's voice was oddly pleasant, "I am delighted to see you have accepted Zhen's invitation. It will be a pleasure to see you two together at the ball, which as full right we have been given the privilege of guarding. I am off, Zhen. Stay on task. " Deriuh smiled at us, his eyes kindly flashing to mine.

I watched him leave, each step light and full of grace. Then, as Zhen continued to watch his father, I thought of what he said, "Uh, Zhen? What did your father mean when he said, 'we have been given the privilege of guarding..'?" I was kind of nervous to ask, as I grabbed a strand of lose hair in my hand to twirl around my finger.

He laughed. I shot my head to his face to look at him incredulously, but he just smirked his little smirk, "It's a part of who we are. Well, I suppose what we are. But you don't know that? Your father told the entire council, you know. Before you came here."

My brows shot down, as I looked at my shoes, faint confusion lining my face. "Everyone knew?" I whispered.

I felt a hand lay on my cheek, and was aware of Zhen pulling my face to his. I felt my stomach jump, and instantly my mind was filled. He smiled, a warm and calming smile, "Danielle, he did it for your safety. He didn't want anyone saying something or anyone to harm you because of what you didn't know. Besides, it makes finding out new things exciting, when everyone knows to be patient with you."

"Yeah, sure. Exciting. Don't you mean overwhelming? Everyone is going to treat me like a baby now!" I half pouted to prove my point, popping my lip out and making my eyes round in mock sadness.

Zhen chuckled loudly, and I had to hold back a laugh of joy. I loved that he was so open with me, now. The reserved boy was now a cuddly little play thing with a broad sense of humor. He made his face go serious, "You cut that out now, or a birdy will come poop on your lip!" I quickly popped my mouth into a normal line, like a frightened child might have, before breaking into a small smile. Zhen eased up his face, "That, and if you keep pouting, I won't tell you about myself." That got my attention.

I sat up straighter, and folded my hands in my lap like a little child happily waiting for a present. He smiled ruefully, "You know what, I believe that is the last time I am ever giving you a gift, because it seems to turn you into a six year old girl! But enough of that, on to the story right?" He inquired, teasing me with the upturned inflection in his voice, causing me to nod my head vigorously. He leaned back in the swing, and used his long legs to rock us softly, "For a long time, the werewolves have had an alliance with a band of creatures more loyal than they are, and if you know the werewolves you know loyalty and hot temperament run deep to them. As you already demonstrated with your friends in the courtyard, if they are insulted their blood runs deep and they rush to protect those they care for. This is the same, and if not more for my people. We are the natural born leaders, protectors, and most importantly, warriors."

I leaned back in the swing, pulling my knees up beneath my chin and watching Zhen's face as he looked off into the yard and continued speaking lowly and rhythmical, "Before the werewolves were allied with our people, they were often very secluded. However, you could say the same of us. It was a shock to our world, when the two parties came together. But, as you can imagine, they have been inseparable since. That's the same today, and that is why my Father referred to it as our right to guard the ball. It has long been our job to guard the people of Graghat. Even before my father became clan leader here," I looked at him harder, trying to process what he was saying. Clan leader? Zhen smiled to himself, softly as if pleased with what he was about to say, "That is also why I've been guarding your house these past days. Keeping an eye on your father, and of course you."

He looked to me and his eyes were kind, causing me to blush. "Okay," I said, my voice much less controlled than his was, "But what does that have to do with - I mean what are - I mean - uh.." I bit my lip, feeling awkward and looking away from him quickly. I felt him laughing silently beside me.

"You are wondering what I am, yes?" I looked at him, and nodded meekly. He broke out into a grin. "Don't laugh now, but I'm an elf."

"A-an elf?" I smiled, "Like the short little things that make shoes and work for Santa Claus?" I fought really hard to not giggle, but I did let my smile widen.

He pointed his finger at me, "Hey! Those were only stories that mortals made up so they wouldn't get so scared of us! I'll have you know we're fierce and brave warriors." He smiled, letting me know he wasn't mad with my question, just amused. "Anyways, elves are actually rather tall. You saw my father! And some of us aren't cute at all." He half grimaced.

"Is that why you have so many cool tattoos?" I asked, smiling sheepishly. Now I sound dumb.

"Exactly why. An elf gets they're tattoos when they become a warrior, and I received mine two summers ago. Do you want to see them now that your curse is lifted? They really are magnificent." I nodded excitedly.He stood up, lithely pulling me along with him and setting me before him. He slowly pulled the cotton tee he was wearing over his stomach and off his head, dropping it on the porch swing which was still swaying from our quick departure.

I caught my breathe, He was right! They were magnificent. The former black lines seemed bolder and raw, each one standing out on his golden skin like a beacon. A tell tale marker of a story or a passage. Each looked important and demanding. I ran my finger over the tribal band on his chest, "Explain them to me?" I asked softly, trailing my fingers over the skin. I had expected them to be raised like a normal tattoo would be, but they were flat and felt as if it was just normal skin. I raised my eyes to meet his, and he smiled softly.

"Sure. Other than elves, there is only one other mythical creature who deliberately mark their youth as a sign of status, and that would be the Guardian Angels," When I opened my mouth to inquire about them, he held up his hand and grinned, "Don't worry, one of those will be visiting you soon. Anyway, each tattoo stands for something. Something specific to the warrior. Take my dagger for example, it is for my chosen weapon. Each warrior has they're weapon inked on them, so that the community may know their skills. My father has a staff. Now, the word on my arm is in basque,"

He gestured to the word 'indarra' written in the bold ink on his upper arm, "Every warrior is given a word by the elders when they come of age. The word defines them, and they must spend their entire lives keeping it true." I bit my lip, curious to ask what it meant. Zhen quickly caught on, "Indarra means strength. It's a little hard to live up to. Now the last tattoo, the tribal band across my chest and shoulder represents my clan and bloodline. Being the son of the clan leader, I have more responsibilities than other warriors. The specific patterns tell the other elves of my status and lineage, but really it's a subtle way of saying I'm important and to be respected. Even if I haven't earned it, yet."

"I think you've earned it," I smiled, leaning down and grabbing his shirt from the bench and softly pressing it to his very hard and very defined stomach. I looked down, "You are a really strong person, Zhen. You have already lived up to it."

I felt Zhen about to say something, when I heard someone shouting my name from inside the house. I looked to the doorway, just to see my grandmother pop her head out, "Alright Danielle, you've had your fun and seen the boys tattoos, but hurry up girl! We're taking you dress shopping and to dinner. You need to get out of this house!" She grinned warmly, winking and popping back into the house.

"Yeah, alright." I murmured, blinking surprised. "Uh, we should hang out tomorrow. Or after dinner. Or something." I looked up to Zhen's face, as I saw his smile disappear behind the shirt he was putting back onto his body.

"I'll be here," He smiled, suddenly hugging me, as he was finally redressed. I could feel his muscles wrap around me, his arms holding me carefully as I fit perfectly into the lean of his body, my head settling onto his chest. "And thank you for saying yes," He grinned, pulling back.

I just nodded, smiling too. I waved to him, and ran back in the house. I rushed up to my room to put some real clothes on, tearing off the ones I was wearing. I pulled on clean underwear and a bra, glad to be wearing something other than a sports bra. I slid into a pair of light wash ripped jeans, feeling a slight tinge of satisfaction from the first pair of real pants I had worn in over a week. Still feeling a bit sluggish though, I skipped the tedious job of finding a shirt to wear, and just yanked on a knit sweater with a large swooping neck Gran had given me. I made sure to braid my bangs back, and throw my hair in a high ponytail, before grabbing my purse and stomping my way downstairs.

Gran was standing at the foot of the stairs, smiling brightly. Maybe a little too brightly. Her smile seemed forced, and it was easy to tell that she had a lot on her mind. A lot of things, that were caused by me. "Ready to go, Sweet Pea?" I just nodded. Gran's smile dropped a bit, but she hastily plastered it back on, "By the way, your mother has invited herself. She is in the car waiting."

I thought of everything that had happened: Cibrian cursing me upon my mother's request, my mother's secrecy, my father's secrecy, my mother's betrayal, the pain I went through, the lies, and most of all Cibrian beating me.

"Oh joy," I grumbled, as I saw Gran genuinely smile, and lead me by the shoulders out to the idling car.

~

"I do not care what you say! I am not wearing this dress!" I hissed my voice low, as I crossed my arms over my chest defiantly.

The air was thick between us, as she was fed up with my uncooperative behavior and I was on edge because of how she blew off the past few days as if nothing had happened. If I was in her shoes, I'd be ashamed to even look at my daughter, let alone turn her into a bad barbie doll

"Oh, but Danny sweetheart, you just look so darling, " My mother cooed, her voice sickeningly sweet. It was so sugary and pleasant, that you just knew she was forcing it. What she really wanted to say was along the lines of 'you're a spoiled brat, who is nothing like me and I resent you for it, but never would I ever say that to your face!' She forced a smile, "What do you think, Aurora?" She turned to my grandmother, clearly looking for a life line.

"Well, Auden, you honestly think it's acceptable for a Christmas Ball?" Gran tried reasoning with her, her voice very patient as she walked over to me and eyed the dress, "It's rather bright. I fear it's not the right type of festive."

"Oh, of course it isn't! I look like a bad ball of cotton candy!" I half shrieked, pulling at my hair, "This dress is awful, and not close to anything I would ever wear." I twirled around angrily, staring at the dress in the floor length mirror. I glared at the layers upon layers of pink tool fabric, that formed the bubblegum coloured ball gown. It was I looked as if someone had rolled me in cotton swabs then dunked me whole in a tank of pepto bismo.

"Fine, Danielle!" My mother groaned, all sweetness devoid of her voice now. She threw her hands up in the air as if I was being completely unreasonable and childish. Even if I was, she didn't have to wear this mess! She sighed and grabbed the bridge of her nose, "Just get in there with Aurora and try on the next one."

We were stuck in the small change room of the only dress shop in town, as my mother had insisted I wear a proper ball gown to the ball. I had been more than happy to wear a regular floor length dress, but Gran had convinced me otherwise. But as she now wrestled with the layers of tool for the second extravagant dress, I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I wore a potato sack. This one was just as large as the first, and by far more colourful, the bright blue, navy and purple fabric was taking up the entire space in the room. Gran fought her way out, and gave me the space to try to get out for myself.

I gave my mother an incredulous look. "What's wrong with this one?" She placed her hands on her hips, and stared me down. That one glance, that used to send shivers down my spine now made my skin crawl as well. She walked around me, "I think it looks beautiful. Great colours! You're so white, you need them to liven it up."

"Mom!" My voice was high, "I look like a jellyfish!" I made a point of taking the multicoloured skirt of the monstrous dress, and swishing it back and forth. The way that some of the tool hung on the dress, made it look as if tentacles were running down it. A clerk who had been watching over our appointment stifled a laugh at me. She was young, and I could clearly tell by the tattoos on her arms that she was an elf. Like Zhen.

"How about this," Gran piped up, quickly interjecting to stop a fight between my mother and I, "How about I pick out a dress, the Clerk picks out a dress, and you pick out a dress, Auden. That way, we can all focus on finding something Christmas oriented for her." My mother looked slightly upset, but nodded and stalked off.

Gran returned moment's later with a red ballgown, made of satiny material that was smooth and cold beneath my fingers. The bodice looked like it would fit tightly, and was covered in little silver and rhinestone roses that sparkled in the light, and looked delicate. The skirt of it was full, but by far smaller than the other ones I had tried so far. When she moved it under the light, I noticed that it was more of a taffeta material, that changed slightly from a deep red, to an ever deeper colour as it swished back and forth.

The clerk showed up, holding a very bright crimson dress with very little detail and a skirt full of little pick ups. Before she could say anything though, my mother butted in with her own dress making the clerk retreat in haste. The dress in her hands was another larger monster of a dress, this time with a bulbous skirt that had a weird pick up situated on the top. The dress itself was a dark navy colour, made of taffeta it shone under the light. The bodice was tight looking, and looked more like a lingerie top than a dress, as it was entirely covered with ribbing and rhinestones. It may have been a beautiful dress, if not for the giant bow right in the middle of the chest.

I smiled, "I love Gran's pick, it looks like a real princess gown and reminds me of aging roses and silver goblets. The clerk's dress is beautiful, but it just reminds me of blood. I don't think I could wear it without feeling like I murdered someone," I turned to my mother to see her face expectant,"And Mom, I like yours. I like the colour. I hate the bow. I'd feel like I was wearing a bow-tie all night."

My mother opened her mouth to say something, but the clerk looked brave and stepped in, "I think I have the perfect dress for you. It has not been brought out of stock yet, as I was waiting for someone who looked like they needed it. If you wait right here a moment, I will retrieve it and return." I smiled, nodding at her happily. Finally, we're getting somewhere.

She came back only moments later, a large beautiful dress in her hands. The deep black skirt was full, but not nearly as big as the others had been; it was made of layers of different materials, including lace, satin and bunches of satin red roses. The bodice itself was tight red satin, with a beautiful sweetheart neckline. I ran my fingers over the black fabric, "This is amazing." I looked at her, with bright eyes, "Thank you so much."

"Anything for Zhen's girl," She smiled. Zhen's girl? How did she know? I fought a frown of confusion, and went to take the dress from her to try it on. Wait, Zhen's girl...

"This dress won't work!" I gasped, suddenly upset.

"Why not?" Gran's voice sounded almost sad.

"The earrings that Zhen gave me, as my gift for him 'courting' me!" I felt my face fall as I realized it, "They're sapphires. Beautiful, amazing sapphires."

"You can wear red with blue, honey!" My mom's voice floated to my ears, as the sickly upbeat tone returned at the mention of Zhen.

"Why don't you go look around yourself, then Sweet Pea?" Gran suggested, patting me gently on the back as I stared at the beautiful dress, "We've been picking for you. i think it's your turn."

I just nodded, tearing my eyes away from the dress and to the rows and racks before me. Feeling tired and sick of itchy fabrics, I stopped paying attention to where I was walking and just focusing on my shoes. I ran my hands along the dresses as I walked, when suddenly, my ring caught on something. I turned my eyes up, and frowned. I leaned in, untangling my ring from the dress. As I caught my ring free, the dress dropped to the ground. Sighing, I bent to pick it up. I stopped and took a closer look. My mouth dropped. I found the dress!
♠ ♠ ♠
Thirteeeeeen! (:
SO nothing too exciting! but a little.
Just some bonding and some passing time.
I'm trying to get to the ball quickly.
Anyway, tell me what you think?
I applaud you, (:

PS: http://www.polyvore.com/everyone_is_going_to_treat/set?id=47898180

PSS: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=48087068

For Those Curious Readers

PSSS: For those who feel down, remember to smile.
If I can write a fantasy world, you can live one. <3