Status: I have a very strong love/hate relationship with this story. I update like once a month. Just FYI ;)

Anaesthetic Heart

F O U R T E E N

"When is he supposed to be coming home?" I asked, biting my lip nervously. I looked again to Gran, who's hands were knotted in angst as she paced across the foyer. I felt sick to my stomach, as I anxiously waited for Mack to return. I hadn't seen him since the night my curse was lifted, and that was five days ago. Only five days, is that all? It feels as if it has been for ever.

I was starting to go stir crazy, locked up in this suddenly small feeling house. It seemed like I could never get enough space without someone jumping on me, waiting to tell me something new I didn't know. Another species or creature, or perhaps an old legend. Gran had been trailing me around like a lost puppy. I stopped pacing, okay head, bad werewolf pun. I picked up my pace, going faster than before. I missed Mack, but now that he didn't need to stick around to make sure this secret world stayed a secret he was off doing his own things. I felt a deep twinge, just knowing that I needed my best friend and I couldn't have him was making me nervous.

It wasn't doing Gran any good either, "He'll be home soon. Stop pacing, you'll leave runs in the carpet." She tried to cover up the worry in her voice with an ill placed joke, but it just made me feel worse. I plopped down with all my weight onto the living room couch, and started tearing roughly through my hair with my fingers. It was only eight days until Christmas now, and seven until the ball. School had been let out six days ago, when I was still fast asleep. I noticed Gran coming towards me out of the corner of my eye, her arms closing tight around me. She spoke softly in my ear, brushing hair from my face, "Would you like me to go get your father?"

I thought of him, the tall powerful man whom I had attached myself to since this whole mess began. I had grown to spend hours a day with him, listening to his stories, curling up and watching television, or having him explain things to me. Including an outside view of my life this past bit.

I had a curse placed on me by my step father upon my mother's request that my father could not break and he was furious when he found out six years ago. It had ultimately been his rage that had drove my mother to take me and run, and literally run into Cibrian's arms. He continued to renew the curse every year, as he had been for the past ten years until I moved home and my body was able to begin rejecting the curse. My body rebelled so much, I was in fear of becoming deathly ill and to the dismay of my loved ones my mind sent my body into a recuperative coma to protect myself. It was after I awoke that the curse was broken, and I found out the awful truth of my life.

I found out that not only was my family a bunch of werewolves, but my step-father was a warlock and the borders were elementals. Not to mention that everyone knew about my curse. However, my father the Alpha wolf and head of city counsel not only forbid everyone from telling me, but made sure I wouldn't know my own fate. That being, that on the night of my seventeenth birthday, we'd find out whether or not I too would become a werewolf. Oh, add onto that that my maybe boyfriend is a warrior elf and my best friend a shape shifter, and things were quickly becoming complicated.


I opened my mouth to respond to the offer, when a deep voice interrupted me. "No need, I'm here." I looked up to see my father enter the room, his hair wet and face clean and shaved from a shower. He pulled me into a hug, "Baby girl, you have got to stop worrying."

"I can't help it, Dad." I felt my voice wobble, as I buried my face deeper into his chest, "Worrying is all I can do anymore. I feel like a prisoner."

"Now, Danielle. That's not fair, " I heard Gran mumble behind me, but the tone in her voice led me to believe she wasn't so convinced of her own words, "You know very well, that this is all for your own good. You're not ready to face the city yet."

"But it's okay to keep living under a roof with people bound on hurting me?" I spoke bitterly, my voice getting numb from fear an hatred as I thought of my step-father. Even after attacking me for talking back to my mother, he's still staying in this house. In my house. I did have to admit, he had a very nice scar forming on his shoulder from where my father clawed him when he rescued me.

Will it never end? My head raced, as again my thoughts took off. Cibrian had attacked me after he broke the curse, where he beat me. I screamed out, but nobody came. That is, until I cried out for my father. Turns out, Cibrian had cast a little black magic before attacking me, a barrier he had expected no one to break. That is, until my father heard me screaming out for him and my heart tore through the barrier in search of salvation. After my father had phased and pulled Cibrian off of me, Faron had carried me to safety. He and the watchful eye of Gran had patched me up, and I was later told of my own father's handy work. He had played a very tantalizing game of cat and mouse, in which Cibrian got to be afraid and pinned. Sadly, my mother tried to get involved, which forced Gran to get involved. In the end, Cibrian walked away with his life but my father got his blood. After that, my mother spent hours begging my father to let them stay. It was only after Zhen's father had agreed to double security on my house and myself, that he agreed.

"It's not okay, Danny." I heard a separate voice speak, this one gentle and calm and all so familiar. I tore away from my father to see Mackenzie standing in the doorway to the living room. His face was tired and grey, but his dark eyes shone happily when they saw my face light up. I ran as hard as I could, slamming into him as he pulled me into a twirling hug. If one did not know that he was my best friend and closest companion, one would think it resembled star crossed lovers meeting for the last time. For us, it was just a long awaited hello.

"How dare you leave me so long and without an explanation or a goodbye or anything! You selfish, foolish boy!" I half shrieked beating him hard on the chest with my open palms. He did not fight me, or try to stop me as I continued to throw insults and hits at him. I swallowed heavily, feeling tears spring to my eyes in frustration. I realized then how much I had missed Mack, and collapsed into his arms as he hugged me ferociously.

"I'm so sorry, Danny. I won't do it again." I could tell by the way he whispered in my ear and gripped the back of my head that he was sorry. But he wasn't sorry for leaving, he was sorry for what it had done to me.

"After everything that's happened, I needed you!" I sniffled, fighting off the edge of tears that clung to my eyes. I had felt so alone these past few days.

"I know Danny, I know." His voice was sad, as he gripped me tighter. Then he pulled away gently, running his sleeve under my eyes to stop the threatening water works. He gripped my hands tightly, "I have something that will make up for it."

"Like what?" I pouted, feeling my anger and sadness start to drift away as I looked at my best friend before me. All loneliness forgotten, I stared into his dark eyes.

"Follow me," He smiled, as he drug me from the now empty living room by my wrist. He stooped at the bottom of the stairs to pick up his hockey bag he used for travel, and then pulled me up the stairs and to my room.

"Why are we in here?" I questioned, as he guided me to my bed by my shoulders and sat me down on the edge.

"Two things," He smiled a very toothy grin, I missed his smile, he cleared his throat, "Number one, I brought you a present for your room so that it would be easier to be cooped up all the time." Now I started to get excited, as I bounced slightly and clapped my hands like a child.

"Me wanna see, me wanna see!" I pretend squealed, putting on my best two year old voice and getting excited. Mack pulled out a small silver box, as long as a loaf of bread and equally as wide. I broke a smile, "Ooh!" I crooned, taking the wrapped box and folding it over in my hands.
"It was part of your Christmas gift, but in light of everything, I believe you deserve it now," He chuckled, "Go ahead and open it!"

I tore off the silver paper excitedly, feeling giddy about what could be inside. When I got the box uncovered, I rolled it over to see what it was. I felt my mouth open a little in surprise, as I took in the picture of a very nice portable DVD player that I had been eying for months. "Oh, Mack! Thank you." I dropped the box on the bed and jumped up to hug him tightly, feeling him wrap his arms warmly around me.

"You're more than welcome, Danny. " He laughed softly, "But there is a part two!"

"What, what is it?" I gushed in excitement, pulling back from him and hopping lightly on spot.

"You," He began, teasing me by drawing out the one syllable, "Get to spend the entire afternoon curled up with me watching movies. I cleared off your day, just so you could be with your best buddy!" He laughed, as my face lit up and I hugged him in what I assumed was a very tight hug. He barely flinched.

"You have to go get all the pillows and blankets you can find, and I will change into comfier clothes, deal?" I asked, pushing him towards the door.

"Deal," He smiled. I watched him grab his bag, and head to his room directly down the hall from mine. I smiled, happy to have my Mack back.

I quickly rushed back into my room, and grabbed a pair of older pajamas. I slipped on the white and blue stripped short shorts, and pulled the crop top with Donald Duck's face over my head. I wrapped myself in a large cardigan, and pulled on some fuzzy socks. I left my room and found Mack in the hall closet. He handed me the wool blanket he usually kept in his truck, and I smiled. My favourite friend and my favourite blanket, I laughed, "You're in charge of setting everything up, alright? I'm going to make popcorn and grab a few movies. " He just nodded and I jogged down the stairs with the blanket in my hands. I popped into the living room first, where I saw Lizbeth watching the discovery channel with Gran. I grabbed a random handful of movies from a random shelf.

"Enjoy your movie time!" Lizbeth called, as I jogged back out of the room happily. I shot back a thanks, as I entered the kitchen. It was empty, so I dropped my pile of goodies onto the island, and went over to the upper corner cabinet where the popcorn maker was. The cupboard was tall, but if I stood on my toes I might be able to reach it. I stretched, raising myself onto my tippy-toes as my fingers grazed the shelf. I dropped down to my heals, and rose again just to have a voice scare me.

"Here, let me help," Faron's low voice was right behind my ear, as I jumped in my skin and bumped my elbow against the counter. I sucked in my breath as I smoked my funny bone. Faron broke out laughing, and I scowled as I gripped my throbbing elbow.

"You know, just because it's the humerus does not make it funny!" I said indignantly.

"Yes, it is," Faron breathed, still laughing silently as he reached up and grabbed the popcorn maker. I blushed, realizing how close he was as I breathed in heavily and could smell the musk and soot on him. And to think, the other day you thought you had feelings for the kid, only to run off and say yes to Zhen, I dropped my eyes quickly, letting my hands drop to my sides. I must be crazy, I have to be. Feelings for Faron? "Here you go," He said quietly, placing the popcorn maker on the counter.

"Uh, thanks." I muttered, quickly turning around and busying myself with the popcorn to avoid making eye contact with Faron. But he didn't leave.

"So," He began, still as close as he was before, mere inches between us, "You and Zhen, hey?"

"Well," I trailed off, was it me or was there an edge to his voice, I swallowed dryly, "I guess so. I didn't see it coming. But why not, right? He's always been nice to me. And who knows? I mean, it's not official or anything, well - It's not exclusive. It's only one... ball." I rambled, as I watched the corn heat up and begin to pop.

I heard Faron hum and haw behind me, "I guess you're right. It is only one ball."

"Mhmm," I mumbled, nodding my head. "Besides, it's not like I would have had anyone to go with anyway." I bit my lip, my back still to Faron.

I felt him breath in heavily, "You could have gone with me," His voice was soft, so soft I barely heard it. His hand found the counter beside mine, and suddenly I was engulfed in tangible static electricity. Something I now knew he controlled, was this on purpose? Wait, did he say go with him?

"Don't you already have a date?" I bit my lip harder, pulling it farther into my mouth out of nervous habit.

"Well yeah, but I could have canceled. " His voice was soft again, barely above a whisper. The popcorn was finished, but neither of us made a move to do anything about it.

"I'm sure your date wouldn't have appreciated that," I whispered, as I heard him make a 'hmm' noise behind me. I slowly pulled myself together and grabbed a large bowl, pouring the popcorn in it. I cleared my throat, "Who'd you invite, anyway?" I turned around to face him.

He reached up slowly, and rubbed the back of his neck. He smiled sheepishly, "Oh, well, uh, wouldn't you know it - " He dropped his hand, "I asked Naia."

I felt my blood run cold, as I thought of the light haired girl who seemed to harbour a deep hate for me. I felt my face fall, as I brushed past him and gather my things, "I see," I replied coldly, as I rushed out of the kitchen before he could say a thing.

I climbed the stairs quickly, and made it into my room to see a smiling faced Mack with a spot next to him in the nest full of pillows and his arms wide open. I felt the warmth return to my face, as I climbed in next to him and he set up a movie then wrapped me in a hug as it started. Mack fixes everything. I smiled to myself, snuggling into his warm side and feeling content to be with my best friend. Wait - what do I have to be fixed? Am I that hurt by Faron... do I like Faron?
♠ ♠ ♠
DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNN -
I love a little conflict
& so does chapter numero fourteen!
I hope y'all enjoyed, as it is uber long.
Well for me anyway.
But I just had to make it up to my friend. (;
Either way, tell me what you think -
Should Danny go for Faron or Zhen?
Or maybe someone else entirely?
I applaud you, (:

PS: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=48567521
For Those Curious Readers