Status: I have a very strong love/hate relationship with this story. I update like once a month. Just FYI ;)

Anaesthetic Heart

T H R E E

I stretched, and felt my fingers hitting the soft wood of my headboard. Opening my eyes slowly, I blinked away the sleep and looked around. The morning sun was shining brightly through the window, casting natural light across the room. Grunting slightly, I climbed from bed and lumbered to my wardrobe.

I grabbed the closest clothes I could find, and a pair of comfy warm slipper-like boots to wear. Dressing slowly, I went over to the mirror Gran had put into the wall adjacent to the wardrobe, and tore through my hair with a brush, before piling it messily ontop of my head. Black tangles hug down, but I hadn't the energy to fix it. I made my way downstairs to the kitchen, where Gran was up and meandering around. "Hey, Doll." She kissed me softly on my forhead, "Do you want some breakfast?" My stomach growled, answering for me. Gran just laughed.

She made me raisin toast with eggs, and a tall glass of orange juice. I was more than happy for the food, as I ate quietly beside her still feeling slightly out of place in my own home. "Did you enjoy the movie last night?" Gran asked, making idle chatter.

"Yeah, I guess so. It reminded me of Pompeii." I took a sip of my juice, "Which was really such a tragedy. Which makes me only more glad we have more advanced warning systems now." Gran nodded, listening to me speak. I realized then that I hadn't said much in the short time I'd been home, and it was probably a little refreshing to hear it.

"I know what you mean, Sugar." Gran said as we cleared away our dishes. We then went to the living room and she turned on the news, but kept the volume low enough for us to talk. She cleared her throat, "Are you planning on going to school, here?" I nodded.

"I was hoping I could. I don't see why not. Besides, it might be nice." I smiled, as Gran snorted a laugh.

"There is nothing nice about highschool in Graghat." She laughed. I was about to respond when Faron stumbled sleepily into the room, wearing nothing but a pair of pajama pants. He had nicely shaped arms, and a stomach to match. He smiled a lopsized goofy grin and ruffled his hair. I felt something stir in my stomach.

"Gran." He kissed the top of her head and plopped down in a nearby chair. He crossed his fingers over his stomach, and leaned back to watch the television.

Next, Lizbeth came into the room. She tapped Faron lightly on the top of his head, with the same affection you'd have for a pet. She seated herself beside me, and absent-mindedly played with a thread on her socks. Once everyone was awake and piled into the living room, Dad decided we should do something as a group. To celebrate my homecoming.

And after much debate, we decided to just stay home. Mack needed to finish some unfinished business, so he dispersed to his room. Dad and Lizbeth went to the kitchen to work on lunch, and Gran went into the study to read. That left Faron and I. He had finally put a shirt on, and we both sat on the couch talking.

"Wait, " He began, "You mean to tell me that you haven't played battleship, ever?" He looked completely miffed.

I shrugged, "I've never had a need to play."

"That's it," He said, standing up and pulling me with him. He led me up the stairs and down the hall, to the room across from mine. His large hand enveloped my smaller one, making me blush a little. Faron pushed open the door and I followed him inside. His room was very similar to mine. His also had a green velvet window seat, and an old wardrobe, but unlike my room, his was slightly bigger. The floor was scattered with clothes but not in a messy way, just a haphazard one.

There were several small plants around the room, and he had the trunk pulled away from the foot of the bed, cushions surrounding it on all sides. He told me to sit, as he ran into the hall and rummaged through a storage closet. When he returned, he carried a cardboard box, with Battleship written across it. I groaned as he lifted the lid and began to set the pieces out.

"It's really easy, " He explained, "All you have to do is place this boats on the wall and guess spaces where mine could be, marking them with white or red pegs once you've finished asking each question. First person to sink the others battleship first, wins." He smiled, pointing out the pieces as he talked.

"And let me guess," I flicked a strand of hair, "You're going to be very gentlemanly about this, and go easy on me. But then, when I actually give you a run for your money, your going to turn off Mr.Nice-Guy and try to beat me."

"Of course not." He smiled, humor playing lightly behind his silver eyes. I laughed, and we set up our boards. He volunteered to go first. Twenty minutes later, I smiled a little smugly as I jumped up and bounced around. Faron sat on the floor, his mouth hanging crookedly, " You sunk my battleship," He whispered.

I laughed, "Beginner's luck?"

"No way!" He said, standing up fast. "You must've cheated. You had to!"

"Nope," I giggled, popping the end of the word with my tongue. He laughed a little, and watched me sit back down. He ran a hand behind his neck, before joining me on the floor.

I looked around his room again, looking closer. He had a makeshift nightstand beside his bed with a strange purple flower on it. There were several seeping ivories around the room, and a few cactuses on his wardrobe. I pulled at my boot, "What's with all the plants?" I asked curiously.

"Well.." He looked around, avoiding my eyes, "they look nice?" He trailed off, sounding more like a question than an answer. He shot his eyes up to me, and I shook my head slowly, quenching his doubt.

He sighed heavily, "They make me feel better.." He mumbled.

"Better?" I asked, gently lifting my eyebrows. He nodded vigorously. I was about to ask him what he meant, when Dad knocked on the door.

We both looked up, "Lunch." He smiled.

"Great!" Faron laughed, a little too quickly and launched himself up. He put his hand down, and I let him pull me to my feet. We walked down stairs together, our shoulders brushing on the odd step. Every time my body made contact with him, I felt a light zap, the tickle of electricity on my body. When we reached the bottom landing, I cast my eyes up to him and he smiled, stepping aside to let me pass into the dining room first.

Everyone was gathered around the dining table, laughing and fighting over sandwiches that were placed on a large platter in the center of the table. Smiling, I rushed over and grabbed the peanut butter and dill pickle one that Mack had perched in his hands.

"Danny!" He exclaimed sadly, "I wanted that one." He pouted pathetically, placing his hands under his chin. Smiling, I huffed heavily, and ripped it in half. He got one side, I got the other. Chuckling, he took his and bit into it savagely.

Faron sat beside Lizbeth, and they were huddled together talking. Brief flashes of worry and concern crossed her face, as Faron's low mumbles resonated. She shot her head up and noticed me smiling sweetly, making me turn away after quickly returning the sentiment.

Mack flicked a piece of his crust at me, nicking my eyebrow, "Earth to Danielle! Danny, you there?" He laughed.

"Yeah, sorry," I scoffed, my cheeks burning.

"S'alright, " He laughed again, "I was just asking if you had your school files transferred yet. Gran was curious."

"Oh yeah," I blushed, looking at the waiting faces of Gran and Dad, "I had them transferred last week. Dad just has to sign some papers, and I start next week."

"That's nice, Sweetheart, " Gran smiled over her coffee, "At least you won't be alone. Faron is in your class, along with Mack of course."

I looked up from my sandwich, and saw Faron's grinning face. He nodded his head, and the room filled with electricity again. The same rolling, tingling feeling that seemed to surround Faron was clear in the air.

Oh joy.
♠ ♠ ♠
T h r e e , A h a.
Not perfect, but not bad.
Just a heads up, i love comments.
The make sure i'm on the right track.
Also, this is really just a filler.
i applaud you, (:

PS: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=28052397
For curious readers.

EDITED