Status: I have a very strong love/hate relationship with this story. I update like once a month. Just FYI ;)

Anaesthetic Heart

F I V E

My room felt really small. And close. It was as if it was slowly shrinking in on me, and if I didn't get out I'd be squashed. I flung back the tight covers of my duvet, and crept from bed. The alarm clock beside my bed read five in the morning, as I grabbed my clothes for school and drifted to the washroom. I stripped from my pajamas and climbed into the shower, as the pipes groaned from the early morning use. I prayed they didn't wake anybody.

I got dressed quickly, leaving my hair up in a towel to dry as I put on my make-up. It was a tedious process, but I could do it in my sleep, which I more or less was. I left the bathroom, the steam rolling out in a heavy puff. I smiled, as I walked downstairs. I hadn't been home long, but the atmosphere was warmer now. Mack was happy to be home, and you could see it in the way he moved. Gran and Dad were happy enough, smiling when they saw either of us. And Lizbeth and Faron had been really nice to me so far.

"Early riser?" A deep voice spoke from inside the fridge, as I jumped and almost half shrieked, but bit down on my tongue. I heard a soft laugh, as Faron pulled his head from inside looking sheepish, "I didn't mean to scare you, I'm sorry."

"It's fine, " I smiled, pulling a bagel from the bread bin and tossing it in the toaster.

Faron looked at my head and chuckled, "New fashion sense?" I just stuck my tongue out at him, and laughed. He was about to add something when my toasted bagel popped, making us both jump. I pulled the pieces from the toaster quickly, letting the heat burn across my fingertips as I flung them onto a plate. Adding butter and sugar, I handed a piece to Faron and he took it with a smile.

"So what do you like to do in your spare time?" I asked, hopping onto a tall stool and letting my legs kick back and forth. This boy made me curious, I'd known him all of a week and yet he knew more about me then my friends back in the city where I lived with my Mom and Step Father.

Faron chewed, and let his eyes look into mine as he thought, "If i'm not at school, I spend time at a plant preservative with Lizbeth. And I work part time at the skating rink." He gave me an odd look as he chewed on more than his words, "Didn't you used to be a figure skater?" My blood ran cold, but I shrugged him off.

"The past is the past." I hopped from the stool, and started to head up stairs. But not before hearing Faron call behind me about needing the past for the future; I ignored him, but turned around anyway, "Things happened. I'm not sure how much you've been told, but I quit skating years ago."

Faron put his elbows on the counter, "You can always start again, you know." He stood up and walked over to me, the tangible energy I'd grown used to surrounding him pulsed with each step, "I'd be more than willing to take you to the rink." I just nodded and smiled, pushing the coppery taste of fear down as I climbed the stairs.

Mack was awake, and rummaging around in his room. i could hear Lizbeth in the bathroom, humming under the sound of running water. Dad's door was left shut, and there was no light under the bottom. When I reached my room, I smiled to see Gran sitting on my window seat, looking out at the rising sun. She smiled at me, and patted the floor in front of her, where I gladly sat. She pulled the towel from my hair, running her fingers through the damp tumbles. She nimbly swept my bangs back and braided them, intertwining them with other strands as she went. By the time she was finished, the top half of my hair was neatly braided back, in a nest work of beautiful weaves and knots.

I smiled up at her, as I ran my hand over a braid above my ear, "You always had beautiful hair," She smiled, pulling a shiny pin from her own peppery waves, showing me a beautiful crescent moon made of sparkling metal. She stuck it in my hair right where my hand had been, "Now hurry up or you'll be late for your first day." She pushed me out into the hall, and I collided with Faron.

Laughing, he grabbed my shoulders and supported me, "Deja vu, Danny?" I just laughed it off, as Mack called to me from downstairs. Faron gently let me go, and the electricity I always felt around him returned. I ran down the stairs, and met Mack by the truck.

The engine roared to life, as we pulled from the drive and began down the road. Mack looked anxious, his eyes dark again, "Danielle?" He turned to me suddenly, his eyes dancing between my face and the road. I just looked at him with my eyes, searching his face as his voice carried on, "Promise me that if something happens at school today, something you don't understand, you'll come to me first?" His face was so drawn with severity, that i just nodded numbly.

We pulled up to the faded brick building on the West side of town, and Mack let the truck idle as I stared out the window. Students were passing in front of the school, some meandering around the large oak doors, and others filing in. I saw Reid by the door, laughing with some people who had they're backs to us as we climbed from the truck and began up the sidewalk. Ducking my head down, I passed by Reid. Mack noticed, and slide around to my side closest the group of students, shadowing me as we walked. I wasn't quite ready to deal with people yet this morning.

The halls were crowded as students moved around, some dashing to classrooms as others stood in small groups. We walked into the admissions office, and got our registration information, then left to find our lockers. I hadn't the chance to go to the upper school here, but by the confidence in Mack's steps told me he had before he came to join me. Eventually, we got to a row of bright red lockers, and he pointed to a pair on the end. "Yours is the last, I'll be on your right." He handed me a small piece of paper, 324 written in scrawling handwriting across it.

I pulled my locker open, and saw my notebooks resting inside. I pulled out the ones I'd need for first period and shoved my coat inside. I pushed my bag snugly into place on my shoulders, and let Mack finish what he was doing with his head buried deep in his locker. I could hear a voice behind me, "Danielle, right?"

I turned and saw Wish, the girl from the store, smiling. I smiled back, nodding my head slightly, "How are you?" I shuffled my feet, so I could lean against the lockers.

"I'm great," Her voice was warm in my ears, "I didn't realize you'd be going to school here." She laughed a little, her eyes crinkling.

"Yeah, well, there aren't many choices, or you know. Any choices." I laughed, feeling content to talk to this towering girl with the brilliant smile. Mack closed his locker loudly, and turned towards me. He noticed Wish beside us, and I could see the corner of his mouth twitch a little. I looked at her and could see her glistening eyes widen a little, I pointed to him gently, "This is Mack."

Wish smiled, and waved a little, "I'm Wish." I could see Mack's brows raise and I smirked. The kid was curious, but too polite to say anything. I let Mack and Wish lead the way to our first class, talking on their way. I flashed my eyes around, trying to remember the way for later. By the time we reached class, Mack had Wish almost doubled over in laughter as their shoulders gingerly brushed. A smiling Wish led Mack and I to a back table of the biology lab, where we promptly sat and Mack took up conversation with Wish again.

I was staring out the window when a large SUV pulled up. A few students rolled out, including Faron and Lizbeth. A medium height girl with her head down, blonde hair and caramel skin was walking close to Faron, their hips nudging every once and a while. An extremely tall and wide set boy with big friendly features was walking behind Lizbeth, as she talked to him over her shoulder. A really willowy boy followed behind them, his head down and long dark hair following like a cape with his wide strides. As they entered the school, I shot my head to the window again, and watched students file in. Girls with brightly coloured hair, groups of students with their heads bent together, and boys with odd clothes, joined us in the classroom. The last group to join us was Faron and Lizbeth's.

The tall boy and Lizbeth stood against a side counter as Faron, the girl, and the willowy boy sat at the lab table in front of us. The teacher strode into the room, her face long and shallow as she began speaking, "Good morning students, we have some new and returning students with us, so please give them a warm welcome. Ms.Wist and Mr.Hents, can you please stand up?" A few whispers ran through the room, as I pulled myself from my stool. Mack squeezed my hand gently from under the table, as the teacher resumed talking, "And now, another warm welcome to our senior class representatives Ms.Cradsaw and Mr.Bure, they're hear to tell us about a very special event coming up, so listen well." She gestured to Lizbeth who came to the front of the room, and sat down at her desk.

Lizbeth's eyes rolled over the room, "Everybody knows about the Christmas Ball that's held every year right before break, but due to recent events," She shot her eyes darkly to Reid and his group of friends at the front of the room, and I swallowed heavily, "The Ball will no longer be able to be held here at the school." A chorus of groans rolled through the room, including Wish from my far right.

The tall boy stepped up and raised his hands, the noises instantly stopping, "That does not mean it will not be held. Thanks to a generous donation, the Ball will now be held at Town Hall!" Cheers erupted from around the room, but his voice was thick and carried over the shouts, "Please, thank the Wist family when you can, and show your appreciation." He smiled directly at me, showing warmth in his eyes. I felt a small pain in my temples, and then him and Lizbeth were gone and class resumed. An hour later, class let out and everyone filed from the room.

"That was by far an interesting surprise," Wish laughed to me, as we headed to the gym for second period, "Why didn't you tell me your family was hosting the Ball?"

"Because I didn't know," I shot an honest look to Wish, as we headed into the double doors of the change rooms. Walking down the long hallway, I tried to convince her that I hadn't known. I was almost ready to burst into laughter when I crashed into a tall wall, "Sorry,"' I mumbled looking up. The willowy boy I had seen earlier gripped my elbow to stop me from falling.

"It's alright," he laughed, his golden eyes flashing. I felt another sharp pain in my temple, but it faded away again. Letting go of me, he branched off to the guys change room as I went to the girls with Wish.

"Who was that?" I whispered to Wish, as I pulled on the gross gym clothes mandatory for the student body.

"That's Zhen." Wish smiled, tying her shoes, "I'm surprised he even talked to you, let alone laughed."

"What do you mean?" I pulled my shirt over my head, and we headed out of the change room. Due to whatever had happened in the gym, it was now closed off and physical education classes were being held in a large abandoned greenhouse outside, meaning we had to treck across the snow covered grounds to get to outbuilding.

"He's kind of the depressingly quiet guy, who sits in the back of the room writing soulful poetry and never smiling," Wish smiled, as we pushed out the door. The freezing winter air bit at our skin, "Real attractive," Wish's teeth chattered.

"Remind me again why were having gym outside in the middle of winter, in shorts?" I groaned, pulling my arms tightly around my shoulders. Wish just shot me a look, full of curse words to teachers and a sense of society being cruel. Suddenly, I heard laughing behind me and turned to see Reid. He had his hand over his mouth and pointed at me.

"Don't you think you're a little skinny to be outside with so little clothing?" His eyes shone, as he chuckled again. I just glared at him, and his smile grew. He turned to Wish, "Thgin, did Parshly say how long the gym was closed down for?"

Wish smiled broadly, and I could see in her look that she was amused, "At least another week." Her laugh was soft, as Reid came to stand with us.

"Who's Parshly?" I asked confused, my brows folding together.

"The gym teacher," A gentle voice answered from behind Reid, and he turned letting the girl who'd spoken and a tall boy joined our small huddle. The girl had wavy brown hair, bright teal eyes, and curves that could kill. "I'm Allie," She waved politely.

"I'm Jay, " The boy spoke with smiling eyes. He had a crooked nose that looked as if it had been broken a few times, but looked attractive on him. He had dark hair and the several colorful tattoo's just like Reid. He looked familiar but I couldn't place him. I smiled to them both, and opened my mouth to reply but shut it promptly. They gave me looks saying that they were more than aware of who I was, making me laugh.

"Danny," I heard someone call my name, a sharp edge in their voice. I turned and saw Faron standing about twenty feet away, his arms crossed as he glared at Reid and his friends. He motioned with his arms for me to go over to him, and I gave Wish a confused look as I mumble my apologies and stumbled away.

"What, Faron?" I knew my voice was incredulous, but he was being rude.

He showed me a wind breaker he had brought out, and he placed it around my shoulders. "What are you doing with those people," His voice was rough and I could see him fighting a sneer. I couldn't understand whar had happened. Where was the nice boy who had been staying with me, where'd that Faron go?

"Those people," I fought to keep my voice even, "Are my new friends, and I was just having a pleasant conversation with them before you pulled me away." I looked back to see that Mack had joined Wish and the others, his eyes a little dark.

"You can't be friends with them, Danielle." His voice was filled with a growing anger, "They aren't good people."

I just looked at him like he had five heads, disgust plain on my face. I pulled his windbreaker off my shoulders and pushed it into his chest roughly, "Faron, your being ridiculous. The only thing that isn't good right now is you." I spun on my heel and walked over to Mack. I could see him fighting a grin, as Parshly the gym teacher called the class to attention, saying it was now time to head into the greenhouse to run laps after she gave the class a quick talk.

I shot my eyes back to Faron, and saw him whispering angrily with the blonde girl and Zhen, who caught my eye. I could see a smile pull at the corner of his mouth. I smirked back, but it quickly wiped away as the blonde girl shot her eyes to me, and the sharp pain returned to my temple. My hand flew to my head as her onyx eyes bore into mine, and the pain grew.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cinq - sweet old number five.
Please note, i had to go back to four and add
Some stuff, so kindly go back and check.
I hope y'all enjoy this,
I'm starting to get to my main plot. Aha.
So tell me what you think so far?
I applaud you, (:

PS: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=30242121
For Curious Readers.