Status: Re-Writing - Massive changes to story line.

Fireflies.

Social Ladder and other Thoughts

Estelle's P.O.V

Fuck, this wasn't good. I wonder what it is I've actually done this time. The date on the letter is a weeks from now. I have a week to drag myself to the Court or there will be hell to pay, literally. I ignored the stares,as I walked out of Damien's office. God, word got out quickly around here, I had opened the letter like what, twenty minutes ago.

This place was a lot like high school, my time at the academy had been brief but it had been similar to this. There was a social ladder, one I ruled out of fear. I didn't actually talk to any of my associates unless I absolutely had too. And it was my passion for what I did, that held me at the top. I was one of the best the OV had to offer, and I knew it, Alex knew it too.

It scared me at times though, when we did our training sessions just how easy it came, although with these sessions, game a feeling or dread. I shouldn't find it this easy, the drills where hard and killing vampires certainly wasn't easy. Their speed is frightening, as is their strength, its un natural and wrong. Their very existence is un natural and wrong. Many had claimed that I was too good, and they had a list of theories as to why I was the way I am. None of them appealed to me, in fact most of them scared the shit out of me.

I could never shake the uncertainty that came from their claims. What if they were right and I was some freak hybrid or some experiment gone wrong. What if Eric had been right and I wasn't human?

I was back home, pacing around the apartment, hating myself for letting me even thinking about the bastard, let alone even considering on some basic level, that he may be right. Alex, thankfully had sent a text saying he'd stop by later, he had something to take care of first. I wanted to talk this through with someone, as it wasn't making sense to me, the summoning at least.

I considered going hunting but the letter had said in not so many words that I should keep a low profile for the next week, keep out of the firing line. In other words they were half suspending me. Not that you needed a licence to kill Vamps, but I would get in even more trouble if I didn't listen now. God, what have I done.

I had actually been good these past few weeks, no staging A grade attacks in populated areas or none of my usual stints. Why drag me in when I've been on good behaviour? Agh. I finally decided I should take a bath, try and calm myself down before I go raging bitch on Alex, it wasn't his fault. I stripped off, as I ran the water. The tub itself was massive, and had these awesome little jets that did wonders on my strained muscles.

As a rule I didn't drink, there was just too much at stake all the time and I couldn't afford to be drunk and have Eric come barging through my door or something. That could be disastrous in a lot of different ways. But tonight I needed to calm down, so I pored myself a glass of wine and sat on the edge of the bath, watching the water slowly fill the tub.

I couldn't work out Eric's game. Usually the Vamps games where easy, stalk and kill, maybe a bit of torture thrown in their somewhere, they where sick bastards. Not much to them really. Eric on the other hand was an entirely different matter, if he wanted to kill me he would have done so already. And the fact that he hadn't was both confusing and concerning.

And as much as I didn't want to admit it, his words were playing with my fears. What if I wasn't human, and Eric held the key to finding out what I was. Ice ran through me at the thought, and a shudder ran down my spine. I couldn't handle becoming something else. I was human, I needed to be human, despite how much I dealt with the underworld I never wanted to be apart of it.

I couldn't become the creatures I killed, the creatures that killed my parents. Pain replaced the ice, and the familiar empty, dull ache filled my chest. A ache I knew would never fully leave. With a soft sigh, that crossed my lips and faded into the quiet room. I turned off the water and reached for the remote for the stereo. Flipping through the songs with an indifferent haste, I knew what I was looking for. Something hard, with a heavy beat and insane lyrics. Finally satisfied I slipped into the tub and tryed to concentrate on the song and not the swirl of thoughts that where slowly giving me a headache.