Status: Re-Writing - Massive changes to story line.

Fireflies.

Decisions and a few more Realisations

Luce's P.O.V

I hadn't slept much, and I eventually gave up around four in the morning. I had changed my room around the day before, so my bed now sat up close to the window. It had been cool last night, and the morning still held a bite. I had the blanket wrapped around me as the night slowly turned to day. The sky turning a soft dull grey before its colour breaking through the darkness, for another day.

I had memorised the map last night, so at least I didn't have to rely on it much today. I knew where my classes where too. But first, I had before school practice that started in just over an hour.

I gathered my things for the day, and left for training, I didn't want to wait anymore. As I made my way down the halls, I thought about yesterdays events. And Estelle, I should have known Alex had a girlfriend, how could he not?

I was suddenly sent stumbling, and again I only just managed to catch myself on the wall, before I could fall into the hall. A girl around my age, glared at me through her make up. her eyes flicking over me.

"Ah so your the new recruit, shows." I met her eyes with a glare of my own, but she kept going. "What are you doing up so early anyway, you know classes don't start for a few hours." I just sighed, "can you move." She gave me another once over and then she sighed "I'm Jade." "Luce" I said back, and she gave me a small smile. "But seriously why are you up this freaking early, I wish my mentor wasn't such an ass." She gave a soft sigh and I looked at her closely.

She was pretty, she had large hazel eyes and cute freckles spread across her nose. But there was an edge to her, in the way her black hair was styled into hard, straight edges. And the way her eyeliner ringed her already large eyes. She was also tiny, she must have only been around five foot, four. "I'm heading to training too, are you knew here?" I asked, maybe I wouldn't be the only outsider.

She shook her head, "nah, I have an older brother with contacts, he set me up. And I'll walk with you too training, you in the yards?" I shook my head, "no, in the hall with the cross country tracks out the back." She laughed softly, "ah your in the running stage, you must be new. Dammit I forgot my gloves, I'll catch up with you later." She ran off and I made my way to training, maybe things wouldn't be so bad.

I concentrated on the training ahead instead of Jade and my impending torture as I entered the training hall. I flicked my eyes to Alex, who was lounging on a mat. His face twisted towards the ceiling, and I winced as the door slammed behind me. There was a calm, peaceful look to his face that was almost venerable. But the second he realised he wasn't alone, the usual guarded mask slipped into place. "Hey Luce, you ready?" he asked sitting up. I gave a nod, and we headed outside to the tracks.

"How's Estelle?" I asked after a lap or so, slipping into that easy familiar rhythm. I had spent a lot of time running out of the academy, this was easy. I flicked my eyes to his face after a moment, and I saw the rage burning in his eyes. The tormented look was back and I almost regretted bring it up. "Shes okay, healing I just wish the bastard would leave her alone." His voice harsh and menacing as he jogged beside me.

"Eric right?" I was curious after the conversation yesterday, who was he? "Yeah, Eric, Eric Ambrotos. He makes normal vampires look down right human. You don't want to mess with him, but he has this obsession with Estelle." He kept his voice even, but I heard the rage.

"What makes him so different? And why is he obsessed with her?" I stooped running, and he did too, his eyes out towards the forest that surrounded the tracks. "I don't know why he's different, I can't get any information on him which is weird. As for his obsession I have a few theories. The main one is shes just that good, shes crazy good at this hunter stuff. I'll get her to come in for a lesson one day, but shes unbeatable. "

His words where admiring but he had an odd tone, and I looked at his face curiously as he continued. "Shes the best this place has to offer and maybe he's taken it as some personal challenge to bring her undone, I don't know." He raked a hand through his blonde hair, looking away from me still. "I want to go after him, but finding him is impossible, but Estelle just keeps running into him."

He shook his head, obviously thinking he had spoken way to much, "Luce I'm sorry, I shouldn't", "no" I cut him off and he looked at me. "I asked and stop treating me like a kid, I can handle this stuff. I've seen the darkness in this world first hand, I'm not some innocent, despite the blonde hair." I snapped, and pulled on the end of my pony tale.

"Although I'll probably have to dye it anyway," I mumbled. He looked at me curiously, "why would you have to dye it?" "Because, everyone here has black hair, you know the full goth thing going on." I explained, and he let an amused smile pulled at his lips, as he stepped forward and tucked a stray blonde lock behind my ear. His fingers brushing against my neck, I looked up at him as my heart jumped and he gave one of his rare warm smile. "Don't dye it, the goth thing's over done. Come one your going to be late for class." He let his hand slide away and I followed after him after a moment.

I made two decisions and came to one realisation. One, I would find out more about the whole Eric and Estelle situation. Secondly, I wouldn't dye my hair. As for the realisation, I was crushing on my mentor. Dammit.

Classes where torturous, some of my class mates stared openly, some with their eyes curious and others filled with harsh glares. I ignored them the best I could, and tried to concentrate on my lessons. I heard their hushed whispers, and I apparently had my own nickname, 'Princess'. I vowed I would punch the first person who said it to my face.

I had a few of my classes with Jade, she was in my combat class too and I shouldn't have been surprised. She was amazing, she was so aggressive for someone so tiny, she was like a pit bull or a pissed off foxy or something. I made a mental note, to not piss her off.

I sparred with a few of the classes lower students, and I was pleased to learn I wasn't far behind them. I listened to every word my teachers said in every class, I didn't like being this weak but they where confident I would be fine.

At our after noonsession I pushed myself. I become lost in the rhythm of my feet hitting the ground, my breathing and the beat of my heart.

I forgot about everything as I ran faster and harder than I ever had. I forced myself to move faster through the screaming in my legs, through the burning in my lungs. My breathing grew harder, the air seemed impossibly thick. But I ran faster, pushing myself through the invisible wall I kept running into.

Because I learnt something from Jade and my classmates today. I needed to be the best, it was the only way I would gain any respect. The others had reputations and family members along with countless contacts to get them the respect they needed. I would build mine out of nothing, just like I always have.