Status: Re-Writing - Massive changes to story line.

Fireflies.

Dark and Dirty Alleyway

My footsteps echoed slightly through the ally way, the sound familiar and almost comforting in the eerie surroundings. I had grown use to the darkness a long, long time ago. The darkened, disgusting streets are my home away from home. I’ve spent more time deep within their bowels hunting the things that go bump in the night then I have, in my apartment curled up reading a book.

You learn quickly, you have to otherwise it’s your rib cage on the end of the stake. You learn to take in the slight shifts of air, the feeling in your gut and the slightest scuff of a shoe on the muck covered concrete. I don’t have to do much hunting these days, the city is full of spies, and those who want to see their own most wanted list downgraded to a more manageable size. See Eric isn’t the only one sitting at the head of a very expensive list. No, my names there just not with the winning side, the Vampires side.

I heard the scuff of a shoe against an old can a moment before I felt him launch himself at me. I moved as elegantly as I could, twisting away from him as he glided over my head. I had the dagger unsheathed a moment before he launched at me again. His previous failed attack should have left him in a heap on the slush covered ground, but with his advanced reflexes and astonishing speed, he was on me again before an innocent human would have time to blink.

Their attacks are always the same; they rely on their brute strength and speed and forget about the skills. I on the other hand don’t have the luxury of brute strength and superhuman speed so its skills I pride myself in. I dodge once more, knowing I could finish him off in a moment but enjoying the distraction from the fucking dream. He lands a few metres away from me and I slip into a fighting stance as I keep my features in an emotionless mask. I take in his appearance and I see my original guess was right, he isn’t human. The marble white complexion and the inhuman beauty that holds an almost angelic edge are a stark contrast to his sinister red irises.

Their very presence is a trick to one senses, the way they both draw you in and send a message to flee. Their appearance is another trick, their beauty and danger speaks to our hidden desires. I’ve seen hundreds and killed as many if not more, they’re tricks have no effect. I lace my lips with a smirk as I straighten up and wait for him to make his move, my limbs moving in perfect sync as I move to the left. I know my poker face is one to be seen and I let a faux relaxed mask play through my features, beginning a game I’m fond of playing. It’s a dangerous game, one only played by the hardest players. I let myself turn slightly, as his alluring yet harsh voice crosses through the ally way. “Well, well, well Estelle, darling you sure are a sight for sore eyes, such a shame to end such beauty.” He pauses as he moves towards me; I keep my own movements light, my heart rate slow as we circle each other.

“But, you killed my mate, and I will avenge her for your harsh hands.” His voice had grown cold and hostile as I let my own strong voice break through his rather common tale. “Give me your best shot babe.” I say with a smirk as I let my eyes rest on his, unwavering even through the hash sound of his snarl on his own lips. I see the struggle in his eyes, the vicious side yearning to rip out my ivory throat. I toss my curls back, exposing my neck as I keep my lips in that smirk. He snarls again and slips into a lose half crouch “your nothing but a blood whore, and your death will be one we all will celebrate.” He didn’t waste any more time my teasing causing his vicious side to win out over his reasonable side.

His hands where locked painfully on my shoulders as I felt myself fly through the air, and the cold walls of the side building smashing against my shoulders. I hadn’t let go of my dagger and I let him have his small win as he let go of my shoulder and latched his frigid fingers around my jaw “any last words sweetheart?” I lifted my eyes to his and smirked and let my eyes dance with the adrenalin that moved through me as I spat “yeah tell your bitch I said hi”. I bring my knee up and slam it up into his crouch as I shove him back with all my strength as I felt his lips brush my neck, slamming him backwards as I snapped my leg back and smashed it into his knee.

Shock crosses his features and I know what’s running through his head, I shouldn’t have been able to do that that move, basic as it was, it shouldn’t have had any effect on his rock hard frame. I pin him on the cold ground, knowing the fear in his eyes is true. I unsheathe my dagger and place it against his throat, drawing a little blood as he snarls “what the fuck are you?” I just give him my best smile and rake the blade across his cheek as he struggles against my grasp “your worst nightmare darling.” I slam the blade down, right on my mark, sliding it through his rib cage with well-practiced ease; I stand as I feel him crumble beneath me, fading to ash as I yank my dagger out and sheath it back on my thigh.

“Estelle, what the fuck” I spin and focus on another figure at the mouth of the ally way, his masculine frames a silhouette against the street lights. He raises his hands in surrender as I almost lunge at him. “It’s me Alex; don’t attack me for god sake.” I laugh as I run up and hug him, he chuckles and hugs me back but when he pulls back I see something in his eyes. “Babe, what the fuck was that, you almost let him bite you, what were you thinking?” He rakes his eyes over me, concern for me shinning in his soft blue eyes, I just smile back and let myself reach up and press my lips to his as I whisper back, “Nothing baby, let’s get out of here.” He looks at me for a moment his eyes searching my face, but finally he shrugs, knowing I won’t say anything more on the subject.

He takes my hand and leads me out of the ally, but I turn slightly and look up to the roof tops, almost as if I sense someone’s eyes one me. As I see another figure, his masculine frame obvious even in the low lighting, I keep my eyes on him for a moment before I follow Alex, the faint pull of the dream stirring within my mind as I squeeze his hand and grin as I take in his bike as I let my eyes drop away from the figure on the roof. I was use to strangers watching me, although they usually chose better hiding spots. He was probably a spy for the vamps, or a friend of dusty over there. I shoved the figure to the back of my mind as I looked at the bike. His bike, which he loves with a passion I share. I love my Honda FireBlade. He on the other hand prefers the roar of a Harley. I gave a small smile as it shone dully in the low lighting, the shiny metal and black paint against the chrome emblem. A Harley a Fat-Boy, the names of Harleys always make me smile, so blunt but fitting. I slide onto the back and tilt my head back and look up at the stars as the engine roars to life beneath us. The sound ripping apart the night, shattering the peace and bringing something harder to the slums, Alex revs the shit out of the engine before we race forwards, the tires screaming as we speed away from the violent scene, I wrap my hands around his waist and think about nothing but the roar of the engine and the darkness around us doing my best to forget about the dream and Eric, and focus on the man in my arms.