Status: Re-Writing - Massive changes to story line.

Fireflies.

A Bond, a Kiss, a Memory or Two

Eric

The previous day

The room was silent, in a way that wasn't ringed with the prospect of evil within. No, the room was silent because Estelle was asleep. Not a peaceful sleep though.

She tossed and turned on the small couch that barely accommodated for her long, taunt legs. I carefully eased myself down to sit on the coffee table, my eyes attuned to her restless face.

A sheen of sweat captured the soft light across her forehead, her already pale features dulled with a sick hue. She wasn't well, in fact she was growing dangerously ill. Her body was in turmoil, her newly triggered immortal cells fighting the human ones, without the stone though neither would win.

The immortal too strong, her humanity unable to give in.

She was strangely vulnerable whistle lost in the land of dreams. Although something was haunting her, it was evident in the tightness around both her eyes and lips. The slight rigidness in her muscles.

Her long curls had grown almost brittle, the healthy edge that had once gleamed through their midnight length, gone. Her skin stretched over her cheekbones that was only slightly evident to a mortals eye, but to mine it was a slight but very significant change.

Her muscles deteriorating at a rate she must have noticed, as her limbs became slim in a way that wasn't healthy. Again the changes were slight but they were there. She was so weak.

A few curls lay limp on her cheek, as well as along the curve of her neck. They shook silently as she began to shiver.

I had to touch her, the urge a command within me, an itch in my fingers. The bond pulsing on the edge of my senses, a slither of light that connected me to her. One that was growing slightly stronger with every moment I spent with her.

One that had begun the moment my eyes had rested on hers. All those months ago, in that bar. The night that had changed this Hunters entire future.

I let my hand reach out, my fingers brushing those stray locks behind her ear. At the touch, I began to pull away her fever, her chills. The dull ache that filled her bones, and the pulse within her tired mind. I pulled it all away, I felt the same symptoms stir within me and I was hit with a wave of nausea that made me clench my jaw for a moment before I overrode it all with the immortality that burned within me. But for a moment, I had felt the weakness that had plagued her. I hated it, but for her, my little hunter I would endure.

I felt her still under my touch, her muscles finally relax as the taunt edge to her eyes and lips smoothed out and she looked, finally at ease.

Standing, I slid my arms around her, lifting her effortlessly. She acted on instinct and leant into me, her hand reaching up to grasp the thin cotton of my shirt within her slender fingers.

Moving across the room, towards the bed I held her close. Standing above the bed I paused, closing my eyes let my chin drop, my lips brushing against the top of her head as she slept. Her scent, livid. Was like nothing else. Bursting with life and fire, she smelt like summer and freedom. Although it was ringed with the night, the moons soothing yet strong touch was evident throughout her unique scent. She sung of life, of defiance, of a fire that burnt through her unmatched by anything I had seen.

She smelt of humanity, mortality. She was so fragile, but even as her body began to fade she clung to the life she had fought so hard for.

I held her close for a moment, knowing I would let her sleep in a moment. But, for now I would hold onto my Hunter, my stubborn Hunter who refused to see reason.

Sighing softly, I eased her onto the bed, letting her fragile frame sink onto the mattress. I reached up to pry her fingers from my shirt, only to find that she held on with a strength that didn't seem to fit in with her fragile body. I couldn't pry her from my shirt without waking her. Stubborn hunter.

Sighing I slid in beside her.

Only to be frozen in shock as she curled up against my body, her delicate limbs intertwined around mine. I looked down on her, her still sleeping face buried into my chest. Her features smoothed out, as she remained free from pain and fever. She was beautiful, heartbreakingly so with the full curve of her peach lips, the soft curve of her cheeks. Her delicate nose, and her ebony eyelashes that brushed those soft cheeks as she slept.

Protecting the jewels of her eyes, the brilliant green that was something he hadn't seen since her father. Although where his had been intertwined with blue. Hers where intertwined with gold, slithers of rich gold that ran through her irises. Slithers of fire.

A small frown formed on her lips, as she slid in closer, her warm body pressed, curve for curve along my own. Pausing for only a moment before I let my hand snake out and slide along her hip, pulling her closer against me as I let myself relax against her. The frown faded as my bare fingers brushed along her lower back, as I let my chin rest on the top of her head. Closing my eyes I breathed in her intoxicating scent, letting myself fall into the soft sound of her breathing, and the steady beat of her heart.

I didn't sleep, I wouldn't let myself succumbed to that state, that state that was plagued with the dream. The dream that Estelle feature in, the dream that had plagued me for the past few months, ever since I had met her. A dream that would push me too close to that edge, that edge that was hard enough to maintain with her in my arms.

I watched as her breathing became hard, and I felt my lips curve up into a small smile as she clung to my arm, her fingers digging as she pushed her body closer against mine. I became attuned to her every movement, the way her heart beat faster, and the way her legs intertwined harder against mine.

"Eric" The barest of whispers, the softest of sounds that crossed the curve of her lips that had parted as she reached the end of the dream. The dream I had now no doubt plagued her too. The sound of my name on my lips, taunting and ringed with that temptation that surrounded her. One I couldn't give into.

She woke soon after, and I made sure not to move an inch as she assessed the situation. Which was almost comical, I hid my smile. I watched the wheels spin behind those impossibly deep eyes, eyes that shouldn't belong to any mortal. They held a knowledge of something far bigger than what was expected of her. Although heat surrounded them now.

She just sighed and buried her face into my chest once more, my hand automatically tightening around her waist. I let myself savour the moment, in the precious edge that surrounded it. It was a moment that was far, far to intimate and personal to not.

"I still hate you, you know." Came her muffled voice, a voice that licked across my senses and made a soft chuckle cross my lips.

Another moment passed, "although I still think I'm dreaming."

"I turn up in your dreams?" I asked, letting curiosity lace my tone. Wondering if she'd admit it.

I slid my hand along the curve of her waist and up along her arm to cup her chin after a moment. Pulling back ever so slightly so I could hold her gaze, I finally had her eyes.

"You'd be surprised." She finally admitted after a moment, her voice low and laced with an underlining of heat.

I felt an answering heat mirror in my own gaze, as I remembered the expanse of her bare skin. The ivory skin that held no imperfections and was luminous as if lit from within rather than kissed by the suns rays.

Dipping my lips to hers, I hesitated letting her chose. It was all in her hands.

"What the fuck." Came a slightly familiar voice. The tone grating and obviously male. Damn.

Alex.

I watched as the heat fled from her, watched the horror build in her eyes. The tension in her muscles. And I wanted to crush every bone in his body for the stress he was about to put on her already exhausted body.

I sat back and watched as she untangled herself from me and slid out of the sheets. Out from within my grasp.

Hearing her beg to the human, caused my jaw to clench in anger. How dare he.

I sat back, forcing my expression into one of ease as I let my eyes trail over her impossibly long legs, that moved with a grace even in her weakened state.

Immortality would suit her.

I watched him with disgust, my anger growing with every word that left his lips.

What had he done to earn her respect, her trust.

And with every word it was like a slap, one she answered word for word. She didn't back down, I never expected her too. And I felt a smug satisfaction with the way she defended me, and ripped him to shreds.

Then he called her a whore.

Bastard would die.

I gave a low chuckle as she punched him. The punch was one of a future immortal, and would hurt a mortal like him. And it did, it crunched into his jaw.

Ah Luce, interesting little creature she was. I must have Luke keep an eye on her.

Then he had the never to call her a freak and a whore again. I felt my jaw clench and my words dripping with ice as they cracked through the room. " I think its time for you to leave."

"I don't listen to Vamps" The pathetic mortal spat.

"I'm not a vampire"

He scoffed. Idiot.

I uncurled my body in a single movement, as I braced my legs for an instant before I launched off the balls of my feet. Slipping through the air, as it parted around me.

My hand found his throat and I lifted him up off his feet as if he weighed nothing, and he didn't really. Flicking my wrist I sent him flying towards the wall, letting it deal with his pathetic existence for a moment before I threw him out the door he had so carelessly left open. I paused where I stood, and tuned into her thoughts.

Her thoughts where chaos and she began to fall into her own fears. Silently cursing Alex to the deepest pits of hell, I moved towards her.

Disagreeing with her thoughts, knowing she was far to distraught to realise she hadn't spoken.

I cupped her cheek as she looked away, my thumb running along the arch of her cheekbone.

"You’re an Immortal, something above human. You are incredible and it would be an insult to call you human." I said in a voice low enough and laced with truth to make her focus.

And focus she did, I watched as the emotions flicker across her face. And burn within her gaze.

Hearing her finally accept what she was, was something I didn't think I would hear for a while.

Gathering her in my arms, as I felt her exhaustion through the bond, she rested her head against my chest as her limbs shook with weakness. The change was burning through her far to fast.

I lifted her chin, as I held her up.

"You will be Immortal."

* * *

Estelle

Hearing those words, filled her with a strength a desire. She wanted the strength she knew he could give. The strength that held her up effortlessly as her own body crumbled around her.

Reaching up, I was filled with mixed emotions regarding the king of darkness. But desire was the strongest and I didn't want to be careful anymore, I wanted him.

His eyes continued to regard me with emotions I couldn't grasp. I let my fingers intertwine around his shirt as I lifted my lips to his.

His lips met mine in a crushing kiss. One that caused the heat that had been simmering below the surface to stir. His hand held my waist as he pulled me against him, while shoving me against the wall at the same time.

I melted against him, my body fitting along his.

My hands tangled in his hair as I pulled him closer, I needed him closer. The heat from the kiss alone was unbearable as his touch whispered to that deep sense of need that was lacing its way through my body.

I let a soft moan escape my lips as he lifted me up so I could snake my legs around his waist.

His kiss was intoxicating and for the first time I didn't have to hold back, I felt feminine in his arms. His strength no match to mine. I relished in it, thrived in the knowledge that I couldn't hurt him with one careless movement. I didn't Have to be careful.

His hands slid through my hair, before he yanked my head back, exposing my neck. His hungry kisses found the hollow of my neck that made me clench my thighs in need.

I need him. My nails dug into his neck as he shoved me against the wall harder, letting me feel every curve.

I felt his own need before he pulled back ever so slightly. With obvious effort he untangled his hands from my hair.

"No" I groaned, why was he pulling away.

A slow chuckle that made parts of me curl, "not tonight little hunter."

"Why?" I felt my eyes narrow.

Another chuckle, as his lips brushed against the hollow my throat. "I'll brake you darling."

I clenched my thighs around him as his voice washed over throat. As I started to protest again.

"No, little hunter. Your weak with transition, and even at full strength I would have to be careful with you." Another brush of his lips against my neck. "I don't want to be careful with you." His words low, husky that called to that desire again.

The proud part of me didn’t want to admit that he was right. But even now my hands shook with the weakness. I glared at my arms and he chuckled softly. Still holding me as if I way nothing, my legs wrapped around his legs, he led me back to the bed. Easing me down once more, I sighed softly as I felt the soft sheets against my bare legs.

He went to sit in the chair, but I grabbed his hand. Those impossible eyes looked down at me with curiosity, as I tugged his hand and moved over slightly, making room for him.

He slid in beside me, and we resumed our earlier positions, me curled against his chest and his strong arm wound against my waist.

I was so tired and I struggled to stay awake.

"Sleep Hunter." He murmured against my hair.

I shook my head, "No, I need to know what happens now."

He sighed softly, his fingers brushing against my lower back.

"You need to accept the stone."

I paused, this was it. I accepted the stone and all this weakness faded. I became strong and dangerous once more. I had vowed to be strong since that night, all those years ago. And I would be strong again. Because it was simple, either I accepted the stone or I became an un-dead vampire. And that wasn't an option.

I would lose my mortality, but it wasn't like I had ever been human. I was always an outcast, I flittered around on the fringes of humanity. I had been a part of the Occidere Vincere, they had welcomed me in with open arms when I had nothing else to go back too. But they had lied, they hadn't told me why I was so strong, so fast and inhuman. They had wanted me for their own reasons, they wanted me to sign myself over blindly. And I almost had, I was only a few months away from receiving my mark. A tattoo on the back of the neck that bound you to the OV.

I had almost given myself over blindly. And if I had I would be there's my loyalty would be there's only.

Thank god I hadn't given it too them. I felt the flickers of rage again, one of the few things I couldn't stand was being lied too. What gave them the right to keep it from me? I felt my fingers ball into a fist. And Eric's soothing touch along my back.

"Why did you wait so long to tell me?" I asked carefully, my tone held in tight control.

"I had to make sure you'd been triggered, and even I had to wait for the Occidere Vincere's consent on that. We gave them the power, yes but in order for them to have that power even we have to abide by their laws." He said against my hair after a moment.

"They all lied." I said, my voice wavering at the end.

I felt his hand tighten around my waist. "Yes."

I felt my jaw clench and I pulled back to look at him, my eyes hard. "How many hunters out there are like me?"

"Hundreds if not thousands" He said after a long pause.

"It isn't right Eric, we live like outcasts like freaks. We don't fit in amongst humans." It was funny I was already regarding myself as something other than human. It was them and us.

"I know, its not right. But what can we do Estelle? We tell them, they will be forced into realising they've been abandoned by their real parents. That they were right in their suspicions, they aren't human. And they can never be their true selves until one of their parents dies for them?" He said in that low, intoxicating voice of his. But it held a not of regret.

I said nothing, he was right but surely there had to be a way. And if there was I vowed to find it.

The rest of the day pasted uneventfully, it was a slow day. And I was glad. I didn't have the strength to do much else and the constant worry in Eric's eyes scared me a little, how long did I have?

I drifted in and out of sleep, and Eric remained by my side, holding me as I slept. Somehow he managed to keep the symptoms at bay, but even he could do nothing for the exhaustion that plagued me.

As night fell, I shifted slightly to see his face. We didn't turn on any lights, I was content laying in the soft moonlight that washed through the room. It hit the planes of his face and I was again taken back by his beauty. His flawless skin, and his onyx hair that gleamed in the low lighting. His sculpted lips that held the promise of all the desires one could conjure.

Even tired as I was, being this close was creating that weird but wonderful spark thing. His touch ignited ever nerve in me. Everything about him was intoxicating, his scent that was wild and strong. Power flicked under each of his movements, and it drew me in.

I slid my finger under the edge of his t-shirt, my fingers brushing against his taunt skin.

"Estelle," nothing more than a breath against my hair, a warning.

I kept going, my hands pulling up more of his shirt, my hands running across the expanse of his taunt abdomen. I heard his breathing catch and his hand tighten on my waist.

His energy his power, pulsed under my finger tips. "Take it off" I breathed.

"Estelle-e" He warned again but I cut in.

"I know, I know not till I'm stronger, but" I slid my hand towards his back, my slender fingers brushing across his skin. "Please Eric." I breathed.

He sighed a moment before he pulled back slightly, he tugged off his shirt and tossed it somewhere. But I was focused on him. His sculpted torso was taunt and muscles wrapped around his forearms, and along his chest. He wasn't spastically buff, like some of those crazy guys. But his muscles where there that’s for sure. I ran my hands over his chest, and I felt his eyes on me. I didn't look up though.

It was then I realised how close hate and love really where. I don't know if I ever truly hated him, or feared him for what he inspired within me. The desire, the need to touch him was always there. Always simmering below every exchange. The way he never backed down from me, both scared me and made me respect him.

I didn’t have to hold back with him, I could let go of the strength that licked through my muscles, the speed that burnt through my limbs. Although they where absent now, and what had once been there was replaced with an echo of its former self. I was weak and shaky, exhausted.

But Eric? He inspired the strength. For him I wanted, needed to be strong.

Although the lies hurt, the lies of everything the OV had failed to tell me. They had been my family, I had felt the flickers of home when I was within the walls of the academy, they had built me back up after the incident I couldn't talk about yet. They had been my family.

But they had lied, betrayed me. And I vowed no one ever would again. Alex had said I had inspired fear whenever I entered a room. I would make sure when I accepted the stone, I would never be tricked again.

Eric had been watching me carefully, his eyes scanning my face. I lifted my eyes finally to meet his. The OV had let me down, as had my parents. The OV had tried to poison me against the one person who hadn't let me down. The one person strong enough to pick me up as I fell.

I reached up to cup his cheek, his eyes watchful and simmering with heat. With him I didn't have to worry about being left alone anymore. It was a stupid fear, but after my parents. It was fear I had always harnessed.

Pain flashed through me, blinding and consuming as I heard the dull scream, with the thought came a flash of memories.

An eerie silence, an open window in the middle of winter, letting in the nights chill. A low drip, drip, drip that echoed through the silent room. A room that should have been filled with my parents easy banter as my mother prepared dinner. Smoke trailed through the air, its haunting kiss lingering through the air. The fear that creped through me, as I knew with a sinking feeling that something wasn't right. "Mum" I whispered, "Daddy? Only silence met me.

Eric's hand cupped my chin and he leant down to press his lips to mine, chasing away the nightmares. His lips brushed against mine softly, a caress of strength to fight away the pain. It still sung in the background, threatening to break through.

Sliding my hand through his hair, I tugged him closer. He answered. He understood, his lips crushing against mine once more, the heat they inspired chased away the chill of the past.

I shoved him down, and shifted to hover above him, his strong hands gripping my hips as I leant over him. His fierce kiss chased away the memories, the heat of his skin chasing away the chills.

I tilted my head to the side as he kissed my jumping pulse. His hand railing up my spine to become tangled in my hair as he kissed at my neck.

"Estelle" He breathed against my neck.

"I know" I breathed back.

I pulled back slightly, and his hands reached up to cup my face. I leant into his hand, as his fingers brushed against my cheek. The moonlight again washing across his skin, it trailed along mine. Drenching us in a soft light, I watched the soft almost translucent fabric dance in the soft breeze from the open window, around the four posted bed.

He tugged me down beside him, I could have resisted but I complied, curling up against his chest once more. His fingers brushing against my hair as he kissed my forehead. The exhaustion hit me again and I sighed softly, and I reached out to let my hand lace around the back of his neck.

"Sleep hunter." he murmured against my hair.

And sleep I did, wrapped in the protective arms of his embrace.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter spreads over the day of the fight with Alex, and also into the following night, its a bit of a step back after the last chapter but if it helps Alex went to Melrose not long after he left Estelle's apartment. Sorry for any confusion.

- Scarlet