Status: Re-Writing - Massive changes to story line.

Fireflies.

Hidden Fear

His fingers gripped painfully into my shoulders, his long fingers wrapped around the fine curves, as his gaze tried to strip back my walls and let him see the truth. I felt it, as he tried to read my mind. It felt as if feathers where caressing my brain, although their touch had as much effect as if the feathers were caressing a six inch think titanium wall. They had no hope in getting through. This only infuriated him more, his grip tightened and I knew I had to do something, quickly. I snarled at him again, although it did little, the look in his eyes was beyond murderous, but they spun with something else, something I couldn’t place. I forced my mind to think quicker, I had to get out of this, now.

I formed a quick plan in my mind, as it raced with the techniques I had learnt over the years. I slammed my knee up, ramming it into his groined, god such a basic but effective move. As I did that, I slammed my arm forward, it screamed in pain, as he was pushing it against the wall and I was pushing it forward. I managed to move forward in the instant he loosened his grip, as my knee hit its mark I slammed my fist forward, hitting the eleventh rib, also known as the floating rib. He snarled in pain and I used his moment of distraction to slip out of his grasp, twisting my body under his arm, that had slipped from my shoulder and had braced itself against the wall. I repressed a shudder at the way his muscles, taunt and firm, wrapped around his biceps and forearm. I twisted as his hands snatched towards my throat, apparently he had mastered pain. Damn, I still had to do that. I managed to slip out of his grasp, twisting again, as I launched myself over the island bench, bracing my legs for a moment before I pushed myself up. I twisted on the smooth, cool counter, as I slid across, dragging the toaster, and newspapers, along with a few other bits and pieces along with me. They clashed on the floor, as I landed on the other side, placing the island between us I took a few steps back as I slipped into a fighting stance again, my eyes never leaving him.

Adrenalin pulsing through me as I snarled at him again, he snarled back, narrowing his eyes at me. See, told you, lots of snarling and other primal noises in my line of work. I was shaking, actually shaking, I was so keyed up it was insane. We locked gazes, and I again supressed a tremor that ran through me. This was different, the room was ignited with a tangible energy, whatever it was, it was pulsing between us.

Eric, a master of deceiving others, he had a poker face that was a six inch concrete wall, unbreakable. But it wavered under my gaze, it shook and I got tastes, flashes of the emotions he was working hard to conceal. I wasn’t sure how long we remained, crouched, sizing up one another, as my thoughts raced a million miles a minute. I could attack, my dagger was in the other room, just behind me, I could be there in seconds. And suddenly that blade was all I wanted; I needed the blade within my grasp. I spun, knowing it was beyond idiotic to have my back to him, but I had no choice. I skidded down the hall, using the wall of leverage as I pushed of it and forced myself through the door into the room. He was right behind me, his movements more calculated, precise as he reached for my ankle, his iron grip inclosing my ankle within his grasp. He yanked and I faltered, my grip on the floorboards slipping, as he yanked me towards him.

My hand slipped off the bedside table, missing the blade by inches. I turned, spun in his grasp, as I used his grip as a base to land my other foot square in his shoulder. He hissed, the sound passing through those impeccable lips. It was enough though to break his hold for only a millisecond, enough to push myself forward and secure the blade within my delicate hands. I didn’t pause, once the blade was in my hand, I leapt over the bed, rolling across the sheets and I heard his menacing voice behind me. “If I thought getting you into bed would be this easy I would have visited a while ago darling.” He leapt, pinning me to the bed, his hands again on my shoulders, and his weight pinning me to the bed. I could do nothing for the shudder that passed through me, nothing, as it rolled across me and through him. I felt him shudder, a direct trigger of my own. He looked down, his eyes guarded and careful as he looked down at me. He smirked as he leant down, I was helpless, and fear along with a few other emotions that shouldn’t be there, pulsed through me. His lips where at my neck and as he chuckled, his lips on the main artery that flickered just under the surface, as his breath caressed my skin. He could feel my heart beat and taste the fear on my skin. His words where low, almost seductive as they trailed along my bare neck.

“You’re not human my dear, and denial won’t work in this situation, despite how much you try to remain ignorant. You could shove me off, in a heartbeat, you’ve demonstrated as much, but you won’t. The OVis too easy for you, you’ve become careless, a being of your heritage shouldn’t be degrading herself to this existence. And despite what you think of me, you are addicted to the challenge, the one creature that’s slipped through your delicate hands. But I’m no vampire dear, but of course you know that.” He pulled back, grinning, letting me have full view of his gleaming teeth. A vampire, with being that close to a fresh blood source would have been betrayed by his fangs, it was a natural reaction for the bloodsuckers. But his teeth, strong yes, but fang free as I traced them with my eyes. I snarled the sound ripping up my throat and across my lips, I was shaking and it had nothing to do with the adrenalin, it was fear that ripped through me. Fear for the unknown ran deep within my veins. He grinned back, and moved in a blur, off me and at the door. His words encircling me in an embrace and I shoved away another tremor. “I’ll leave you to ponder my words; I’ll be back darling, take care and remember what I said hmm?” He said as he disappeared from my view, and it was nothing short of a second later that I heard the door closing behind him.

I sat up slowly, each movement taking more effort than it should as I buried my face in my hands. I sat there until the morning light turned to a soft grey, replaying the event in my head. My phone rang, again and again. But I couldn’t bring myself to answer it. I did nothing as I heard someone smashing down my door, before I heard them trigger the emergency codes. I watched as I stood, moving like a zombie, knowing my face was void of any emotion, as Alex burst through the doors. An emotion I recognised in Eric’s eyes, gleamed in his, and I clenched my jaw against a sound as I realised what it was. Eric had feared me, and Eric feared nothing, he shouldn’t fear me.

I said one word as the dozen of OV hunters stood there asking what the hell had happened, and what I said silenced them instantly, “Eric.” My voice sounded odd, hollow but with a fierce edge. Eric feared me, and I would use that to my advantage, as there was one thing I knew I had to do and that was rid the world of the underworld, and that began with killing their fierce leader, Eric Ambrotos.