Sequel: Oakland: A Tour Diary
Status: finished. thank you all so much. <3

I Left My Heart in San Diego

SIXTEEN

I didn't know where I was running, and I didn't care, I just wanted to get away! I kept running right out Billie's front door into the snowy expanse of my neighborhood, not giving a shit about how cold it was or that I didn't have a jacket. If I kept running, I would keep warm.

I thought about going home, but then I would have to explain everything to my mom and Aran, which I wasn't keen on doing. I wasn't keen on talking to anyone, I just wanted to keep running. Running and running and running away.

I didn't pay attention to where I was running, so when I finally stopped, I had no fucking clue where I was. Even worse, I had no jacket on, and now that I had stopped running, I was freezing. I wrapped my arms around my chest, trying futilely to keep myself warm, but I didn't have much fat on me, so that was useless.

Lost, cold, confused, and angry, I started walking back the way I came, but since I hadn't paid any attention to where I was going when I was running, I had no idea which way I came. I decided it would probably be better if I kept moving forward, instead of trying to go backward. The possibilities of getting lost were much greater if I tried to go backwards.

So I turned around, looking out over the snowy expanse my angry brain had told my feet to carry me to. I had absolutely no fucking clue where I was, and there wasn't anyone around to tell me where I was or how to get back to where I had come from.

I pulled my phone out from my pocket, remembering I had at least that with me. I surfed through my contacts, looking for a name that might help me. Every name was either back in San Diego, eight hours away, or back at the place I had just left, and if I tried summoning one of them for help, I know Billie would just plead to be taken with them, and I didn't want to see Billie or Tre or anybody. But I needed help, so I just kept walking, trying to keep the blood flowing.

The cold was too much. After about only five minutes, I couldn't stand to walk any further, so I walked up the nearest driveway and rang the doorbell of the nearest house, hoping someone would be home to help me.

A woman answered the door. "Hello," she said, stepping outside in her bathrobe. She then noticed I wasn't wearing a coat. "What are you doing outside without a coat on? You must be freezing! Come inside, dear, let's get you warmed up." I just nodded and let the woman help me inside.

She sat me down on the couch, throwing multiple blankets on me and then walking into the kitchen. I just sat there under the blankets, shivering, silently thanking the strange woman that let me into her house. She returned to my side a few minutes later, rubbing her hands up and down my arms in an attempt to get me warmer faster. "What were you doing out in the cold like that? You could catch your death out there!"

I smiled at her language. "My name is Arizona Willows. I just ran away from my friend's house," I answered.

"Wait a moment," the woman said, looking at me. "You're Arizona Willows?" she asked. I nodded. "Do you know who I am?" she asked. I shook my head. "I'm Ziera's mother."

I stared at her, stunned. "You're Mrs. Carpinter?" I asked incredulously. She nodded. "Well this has to be the biggest coincidence I have ever stumbled upon," I muttered. Mrs. Carpinter got up and walked back into the kitchen, coming back a few minutes later with a mug of hot chocolate in her hands. She handed it to me; I took it. "Thanks," I said, taking a sip. The warm liquid slid down my throat, making me smile and settle into the blankets.

"Did you run from Billie Joe's house?" Mrs. Carpinter asked, sitting down next to me with her own mug. I nodded, sipping. "Why didn't anyone try and stop you?"

"They did, but I was too fast. I was out the door before anyone could do anything."

"Goodness, does anyone there know that you're here?" Mrs. Carpinter asked, a hand over her chest.

"No, no one knows where I am, not even my mother. She thinks that I'm still over at Billie's house," I answered.

"Do you have your phone on you?" I nodded. "Then I think you should at least call Billie Joe, let him know where you are. The way Ziera talks about the way Billie Joe talks about you, I would bet he's worried sick," Mrs. Carpinter said. I nodded, pulling my phone from out of my pocket.

I dialed Billie, hoping he wouldn't be mad at me and answer his phone. He answered on the second ring. "Arizona?"

"Hi, Billie."

"What the hell, babe, why'd you run off like that? Without your coat, even!"

"Calm down, Billie, I'm fine. It was actually a really big coincidence that I ended up at Zie's house. Her mom is keeping me warm," I said.

"Oh, thank God. Do you want me to come get you?" he asked.

"If you want to. But bring Tre with you when you come," I requested.

"Izzie..."

"Billie, those are my conditions: If you want to come get me, you have to bring Tre with you. Either you do it, or not."

Billie sighed. "Alright. We'll be out the door in five minutes. We just have to make sure Tre doesn't get any blood in my car."

"You have no one else to blame for that but yourself."

"He was kissing you!" Billie yelled.

"We'll talk about it when you get here!" I yelled back.

Billie took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. "Okay. We'll be there in about ten minutes, okay?"

"Okay. Bye," I said.

"Bye, Izzie." Billie hung up. I shut my phone closed, shoving it back in my pocket.

"So is everything alright?" Mrs. Carpinter asked.

"It will be once Billie and Tre get here. We're gonna work this out the old-fashioned way," I said, taking a deep breath and another sip of my hot chocolate, cold now from me not drinking it.