Status: It returns...slowly<3

Seize the Day, Relish the Night

016

Image

"Merry Christmas." I smiled hearing his voice.

I bit my lip, grinning, holding my mug of warm wine as I sat next to the fire roaring, keeping me cozy. "Merry Christmas, Jyrki." I took a sip listening to his deep giggle. "So, how is the warm weather?"

"Just beautiful." He sighed in content. "I wish you could be here."

"I know." I laughed as Ulla squirmed in my lap, rolling on her back, trying to get at her red bow. "I wish the same. What did you guys do?"

"Well, for one thing, the sun feels amazing." He chuckled. "And the white sandy beaches and palm trees are a beautiful scenery for a change, especially on the holiday. I rode a camel too."

I laughed, running my fingers along her belly as she pawed my wrist. "No way."

"Yeah, that was an awesome experience. They spit though; it got in Jussi's face." He laughed.

I giggled. "Sounds like you guys enjoyed your Christmas."

"We did." Jyrki agreed. "So, darling, what did you spend your day doing?"

I sipped my warm wine and leaned against the brick, turning so my side would get warmed. "I went out and raced my sister on the snowmobiles, well, until we got caught and lectured because Miel is pregnant." I smiled hearing him laugh.

"I wonder what would have happened if you weren't caught." He mused.

I scoffed. "Do you even have to ask? I would have won of course." I chuckled. "Then, we took the kids out and played with my camera. I have so many pictures to share."

Jyrki smiled leaning on the balcony in the hotel. The breeze blew threw his hair as he looked out at the ocean. "I can't wait to see them."

"I was able, who knows how, with my digital," I chuckled. "To capture a revontulet tonight too." I smiled remembering how excited my niece and nephew were to see the foxtails running in the sky. They were trying so hard to touch them. I look over to see them tired out and falling asleep in their parents' arms. "It was so beautiful, Jyrki. There were all these stunning colors: blues, greens, purples. You name it."

"It sounds beautiful." He sighed, just happy to hear my voice. "So, you had Christmas at your parents'?"

"Yeah." I said softly, grateful to be home. I looked around the room at my family, all happy and enjoying each other's company. It was my favorite holiday, Christmas, for the feeling of togetherness everyone had. "I'm still here. We're having just one big sleepover in the living room; it's a sort of tradition we have. That, and, everyone is usually too tired or drunk to go out on the road."

Jyrki laughed, rubbing his face, trying to stay awake. "I like that tradition."

"I'm sure you would." I chuckled, pulling my quilt tighter around me. I had planned on falling asleep right in front of the fireplace. It was my spot that I had deemed mine since I was younger.

He smiled hearing me yawn. "Have you become one of the tired drunks?"

I finished the wine in my mug and smiled. "I might be a bit guilty."

"So, when do I finally get to see you again? I will be in Helsinki again, soon." Jyrki brought up. He had missed seeing those blue eyes.

I frowned as I laid down. "My papa and Niko said that there is a storm coming. There's a halo around the moon. So, hopefully before New Year's Eve."

Jyrki switched his cell phone from one hand to the other, nervously. "Well, if you are in Helsinki for New Year's Eve, Jussi is DJ'ing and everyone is meeting at this one club. It will be like one large party."

"Are you asking me out on another date, Jyrki?" I grinned wildly.

"Well, I- uh." He stuttered, having been caught off guard. He chuckled at his nervousness and cleared his throat. "Can't a boyfriend ask his girl out?"

I giggled, giddy and amused. "Of course he can."

"So, how about it?" He rubbed his scruffy face hoping for a yes.

"Jyrki, I don't have any reason not to say yes." I chuckled. I bit my lip seeing Miel eyeing me suspiciously. I knew that she would want an update as soon as I was off the phone. "Let's just hope that my Ecci was wrong." I frowned, knowing that my father has never been wrong about the weather. It was like it was in his blood.

"Darling," his husky voice began, making me blush. "I will be wishing on every star, if that is what it takes."

I sighed, touched by his words. "Jyrki, raahis, you really have a way with words."

Jyrki laughed softly, feeling his cheek heat up slightly from the comment. "What does raahis mean?"

I bit my lip, smiling. "It means darling in my language."

Jyrki smiled hearing the shyness in my voice. "Well, darling, until I talk to you again."

My smiled soon diminished realizing that our conversation was coming to an end. "Goodnight, Jyrki." I said softly.

He swallowed, hating to say goodbye. "Goodnight, darling."

I sighed shutting my phone. No sooner than I had my sister was by my side being nosey as can be. "Well, do tell. Do tell Tuulikki." She grinned.

"He was just wishing me Merry Christmas." I said trying not to make a big deal of it.

Miel leaned over Ulla and pinched my cheek. "Aw, rahisvuota, you miss him that much?"

"Oddly enough, yes." I looked down from my sister's gaze, embarrassed.

She tucked her hand under my chin, lifting my head up, and shook her head. "No, Tuulikki, don't be embarrassed. It's perfectly fine to miss him."

"I've barely known this man a month." I whispered harshly, trying to reason with myself.

Miel shook her head again, a soft smile spread on her lips. "No, Tuuli, it's perfectly fine."

"What are you two talking about?" My mother came over filling up my mug with more warm wine.

"Nothing." I said blushing, feeling like I was younger again.

"Her boyfriend." Miel gushed at the same time, canceling out my response.

I chucked my pillow at her and glared. "Thanks Miel."

My mother sat on the floor next to us. "Oh? And who is he Tuulikki?"

"What are you girls going on about?" My ecci stopped talking to my uncle, looking over at the three of us nosily.

"Nothing Jon." My mother rolled her eyes. "So why couldn't he come?"

"He was in Dubai for Christmas with his friends and some stuff for their band." I mumbled not sure how she would take that information. My mom could go either way depending on her mood. She could be extremely conservative or up for anything.

"Oh really?" She asked unsure.

"He's a famous rockstar." Miel giggled smiling, ignoring her skeptical look.

"So, why am I just finding him out now Tuulikki?" My mother asked with an amused smile, making my blush being on the spot.

"Aw, enni, leave Tuuli alone." Miel spoke up for me.

"Aw, Mielikki." Our mother mocked. "I brought the two of you into the world." She said as if that gave her permission to do whatever she wanted.

"It's fine. Well, Irja," I teased calling my mother by her first name. "His name is Jyrki. He lives in Helsinki, where I met him through a client of mine from Sinikka. And their band made it in the States so it is pretty safe to say that they are successful."

"I can't believe you still work at that spa. There is one up here, you know, that you can work at too. Many tourists from all over come to it." My enni tried to coax me to move back to Inari, like she does at one point during most of my stays.

"I know, but I am content in my life with the way things are for now." I shrugged. I loved when she asked me, though it could get tiresome. But, it showed how much I was missed and loved, and most of all that there would always be a warm bed waiting for me here.

"I know, rahisvuota." She smiled patting my cheek affectionately. "So this Jyrki character did he get a degree?"

I smiled, knowing how important education was in my family. "Yes, Jyrki is a very smart man enni. He went to school for chemistry. It just wasn't for him though in the end." I laughed softly as Ulla curled up in my lap and plopped down, tired from the day's excitement. "Any more interigation?"

"I should," my mother teased. "But, you look exhausted, rahisvuota."

"What about me?" Miel pouted. "Don't I look exhausted enni?"

Our mother chuckled and tugged on Miel's chin. "Oh, incredibly exhausted." She humored us, like when we were my niece and nephew's ages. "A mother, especially pregnant, is always tired." My mom tucked the quilt around me and got another blanket for Miel and Niko before kissing us goodnight.

I sighed, rubbing my eyes, trying to stay awake on the train. Niko and my father had seen me off yesterday in Kemi, when the storm finally gave in and let up.

It always saddened me deeply leaving home. Although, it helped that I would see Jyrki tomorrow for the party, a depressing cloud seemed to follow me around.

Maybe it was also because I hadn't had good phone service since the storm set in the day after Christmas, rendering my phone useless. And, I had missed talking to him, even though it was generally for only a few minutes at a time, those minutes had meant so much and more to me.

I had smuggled Ulla out of her carrying bag, thinking it was too cruel to keep her in one, and had her wrapped up on my lap in a blanket my mother had made for me. I am sure my enni would be thrilled to know that her quilt had been used as a bed for the puppy, but in my defense, it was keeping me warm as the same time.

I looked down in my lap to see the bundle of fur sleeping contently and felt myself follow in suit, as my lids grew heavy.

I groaned softly as someone gently woke me up. I looked down first to see Ulla still sleeping under the blanket before sitting up and looking over to the side at the steward with the breakfast cart.

"I'm sorry to disturb you ma'am, but it won't be long until we are in Helsinki." He smiled and offered me coffee and a few options for breakfast.

I opted for a muffin, not feeling like going to the dining cart for a large meal. I shared my breakfast with Ulla, whom had woken up at the sound of the door shutting and the smell of food. She smacked her lips before yawning and wagging her tail, happily awake.

I laughed softly, scratching her behind her ears and looked out the window. I felt so disoriented when I looked out the widow, it was so dark. Since the southern part of Finland had not received much snow, it was darker than usual this time of year. It was just so unhappy looking.

I threw the empty coffee cup and my garbage in the trash bin in the corner of the compartment. I smiled at Ulla walking around on the seat, trying to see if she could jump off. She looked at me and whined, too scared to make the leap.

I laughed and set her the floor between the two seats, while I got my bag from the overhead compartment and folded the blanket. I could see the station from around the bend just as the announcement came on, confirming that we were and the end of our journey.

I adjusted my snow boots and zipped up my puffy jacket. I carefully placed Ulla in her small duffel carrier as she whined upset that she could no longer wander and sniff the area.

"Aw, there's my little Lapp, all bundled up." Valto teased, spotting me among the crowd.

I glared and rolled my eyes. "How fortunate I am to have you pick me up."

"Just be happy that I have my car." He said smugly grabbing the small duffle off of my shoulder, letting it swing roughly.

I shrieked, ignoring the strange looks of passing strangers. "Watch it, dumb ass! Ulla's in there!"

Valto rolled his eyes still holding the bag, with delicate cargo, out of my reach. "Your boyfriend and his friends came around he bar several times while you were gone." He smirked handing me my bag.

"Maybe they just felt like going to a bar." I shrugged and checked to make sure that Ulla was okay.

"No, he missed you." He looked over shocked to see something actually alive in the bag. "Who is that?"

"I told you I had Ulla in there." I glared.

"Yeah, but usually living things aren't kept in bags." He chuckled, petted the tiny puppy. "Did you steal her from the litter?" He teased as we walked to get the rest of my luggage.

"No." I stuck my tongue out at him. "She was a Christmas present. I think they thought I was lonely living by myself, but whatever the reason, I could care less." I laughed.

He grabbed the two larger bags seeing them come around the conveyer belt carried them for me. "So do they know about the new beau in your life?"

I followed him off the busy platform, towards where I am assuming he parked. "Yeah, thanks to Miel's big mouth." I rolled my eyes. "But, they just want to meet him now and start planning my wedding."

He slung his arm around my shoulder and laughed. "Don't you just love family?"

"Oh yeah." I rolled my eyes and shook my head, chuckling. "So what are we doing the last night of the year?"

"Don't you have a party to go to?" Valto smirked, loading my stuff in the trunk.

"And, how do you know about that?" I asked curious, putting my hand on my hip.

He mimicked my body language with his lanky body. "Because, your boyfriend invited us."

"Oh." I blushed.

Valto laughed at me. "I told you kid, he missed you."