Status: It returns...slowly<3

Seize the Day, Relish the Night

002

Image

I washed the oils and lotions off my hands and dried them with a soft towel hanging off to the side.

I am a masseuse at Sinikka, a spa and sauna here in Vuosaari district in east Helsinki.

I opened my work locker and put all my rings back on their proper fingers. I put on my coat shoving on my hat and gloves before shutting the locker door. I slid my bag over my shoulder and made my way to the Vuosaari metro.

My stop was one of the earlier ones near the harbour. I lived on Pohjoisranta waterfront in Kruununhaka district. I thought is one of the most beautiful parts of Helsinki. Especially at night how everything was lit up and all the boats were docked for the night.

Though, tonight there are only a few boats here and there. All the others have been taken out for the winter season. But the frozen bay still looked majestic. And during the afternoon, when the children were out of school, they would all go iceskating and play hockey, which I always enjoyed to watch.

I walked out of the metro station to my building several stops later. My breath clouded around me as my frozen fingers unlocked the door. It automatically shut and locked behind me. I went over to the side hall to the mail room. I unlocked my mailbox and went through my mail.

Junk. Junk. Bill. Junk. Bill. I threw the junk mail away and looked at the envelope with my mother's handwritting on it.

I smiled always looking forward to letters from my family. They do not know how to work a computer very well and find it easier to mail a letter. Though, ocasionally I will receive an email from them, mostly it's my sister and brother in law that will send those. Of course on occasion, I do receive a telephone call from them as well, but that is rare during the winter season.

I lived in one of the smaller buildings that stood out amung the ones that towered over it along the harbor. It was a sweet old woman that was my landlady. Fortunately she did not charge much for the rent even though she could probably get a lot more seeing how we are on the Pohjoisranta waterfront.

I lived on the third floor which happened to be the top floor. My apartment even faced the waterfront spoiling me with its magnificent view.

I walked up the four flights of stairs and stumbled into my apartment because my door got slightly jammed. It was nothing special just a one bedroom, one bathroom appartment. The usual tiny kitchen and small living room.

I hung my hat and jacket on the coat rack in the small entrance way. I placed my bag and gloves on the small table next to it. I took my mail and put it on the small table that seated two.

I went back over to the front door and locked it kicking off my shoes. I flipped the light switch on and screamed seeing the figure on my couch.

Kale laughed and stretched. "Took you long enough to see me. You would have been dead by now you know if I were a killer."

My breath slowed down realizing I was in no danger. "Thanks so much. What are you doing here besides trying to kill me?" I started the stove and placed a kettle of water on. I leaned on the door frame watching Kale walk closer with a smirk on his face that made me slightly uncomfortable.

"I told you that you'll see." He smirked. "Go get dressed nice we're going out."

"Kale." I whined. "You said 'you'll see' earlier last week. Please I am exhauseted. I worked nine hours today and had a few stressed out clients that vented."

He shook his head still smiling. "No, you promised. Besides everthing is already worked out. You wouldn't want to disappoint everyone would you?"

"Disappoint who?" I sighed walking into my room.

"You'll just have to wait and see." I heard him going through my cabinettes looking for a snack. He knew I always kept a good supply of gummies and other nick nacks to munch on.

"Do I have time for a shower?" I started looking through my closet.

"Nope." A gummie worm hung from his mouth. He walked beside me and pulled out a black dress. "Why not this one?"

I shrugged and took it from him. "Why not." I sighed and hung the empty hanger back in the closet and laid the dress on the bed.

The loud whistling went off in the kitchen. "I'll fix you some tea and you get yourself dolled up."

I smiled and nodded appriciating the cup of tea. Really, all I wanted was a nice shower, my sweats, a cup of tea and me on the couch lazily watching the reruns from the American show, Conan o'brien.

It was my ideal, perfect night.

Perhaps I might have even written my mother back letting her know the latest news in my life. It wasn't much to me now having adjusted to the city life, but my parents find it facinating none the less.

I slipped on the dress and found some sleek black boots to pull on over my leggings. I went into the bathroom and to check my appearence. I fluffed my hair a bit still curled from this morning although a lot looser. There was still some make up on from this morning as well so I didn't bother applying more.

My heels clicked against the worn wooden floor. Kale handed me a steaming mug. I walked over to the calender hanging sloppily on the wall. "You know, it will be almost eight years since I have moved down here?"

"It can't be." Kale laughed shocked. "Damn, I've been putting up with you for that long?"

I rolled my eyes and drank the warm tea. "So why am I dressed up?"

"Because." He shrugged. He grabbed my unfinished tea and poured it down the drain. "Time's up."

"Hey!" I complained as he ushered me down the hall. "I wanted to finish that."

"I'll make some another time." He lied shoving my coat on.

I rolled my eyes and readjusted my hat and coat. "What's the rush?"

"I don't like to be late." He grabbed my purse and pulled me out the door giving me barely enough time to lock my apartment.

I sighed as I entered the Vuosaari metro again. I didn't think I would be back on the train until after the weekend was over.

Kale was all jittery and wore that stupid grin. "What is wrong with you Kale?" I knew, by his actions, that he was up to something. What he was up to was a different story.

He jumped hearing my voice and started to pace the car. "Nothing, just excited."

"Yeah, I can tell." I sighed and looked out the window watching the occasional poster pass by in the dark tunnel. When the doors finally opened several stops later I recognized my surroundings. "Why on Earth did we just not walk?"

"Because," he grinned. "Then, we would be too early."

I rolled my eyes and followed him to our bar. Well, Kale and his brother's bar really. Their family owns it and they worked the stage playing covers and some of their original stuff as well. Not half bad either. They should be, music is what they went to school for.

Ale jumbed off the stage and swept me off my feet. "You came!"

"Why wouldn't I?" I looked at him confused.

Kale elbowed him in the ribs. "He has little faith in me."

I looked at them both oddly, but let them continue this little game of theirs. I drapped my coat over a chair and a table I had dubbed my own ever since I met Kale. I took off my hat and gloves and tucked them into my coat pocket.

I saw the two brothers in a heated discusion and climbed up on the stage. "Valto, what are the two idiots doing this time?"

Valto is a mutual friend to all of us. He looked up from his drum kit with a goofy smile. "Well don't you look beautiful."

"Of course I do." I grinned. "Now, tell me why do I look beautiful?"

"Because you Tuulikki," He smiled cheekily using my full name. "You are the forest goddess reincarnated herself."

I rolled my eyes and smirked. "Well, I knew that already." I figured they must be offering Valto something good for him to be keeping his mouth shut. I walked over to the bar and spotted Kale's wife. "Veera." I whined for her attention.

She walked over to me after finishing with a customer. "Tuuli." She whined back.

"What are they planning?" I batted my lashes and pouted.

"You'll see." Veera wore a smile much like Kale's

"Tuuli!" Ale called me over.

I sighed not liking being left out of the plans, especially since I seemed to be apart of them. He situated me off to the side of the stage and sat me onto a wooden stool. They began to tune their instruments. I looked past the bright lights to see the bar had filed up quite a bit since we had arrived.

I looked at my watch to see that it was almost 21.00 so they would be playing soon. It was something that they did every Friday night. I zoned out when Kale talked to the crowd as they got ready.

I smiled proudly as they went through their songs. I still don't understand why I couldn't watch them from my usual table.

Kale took a sip of his beer before speaking. "And tonight my lovely single friend will debut." Kale laughed, "Mind you she lost a bet."

My eyes widened in realization. I furiously shook my head as Kale walked over to me. It was true I had lost a bet. Kale was able to stay longer in the lake than I after being in the sauna. And only by mere seconds.

He covered the microphone with his hand. "So love what will you be singing for us?"

"Just play Floyd for me." I sighed not putting up a fight. "Have them brighten the lights would you?"

He gave the signal to brighten the lights so I would not get stage fright as I stepped up to the mike.