Status: It returns...slowly<3

Seize the Day, Relish the Night

005

Image

I sighed hearing my alarm clock go off yet again and looked over to the window, where the curtains were still drawn back, yet no light shown through. Part of me could not wait until the dark spell was over and we were only 19 days into it.

I threw the covers off knowing that if I did not get out of bed now, it would be a lot more painful in a little while. I added my pajamas to the mountain high pile of dirty clothes and turned on the shower.

I stepped under the water not bothering to wait until it heated up and cringed when it felt like icicles came down on me as I soaped off. As the water began to heat it, it was a lot more tempting to just stay in the shower the rest of the morning. Unfortunately, work is a priority. I twisted the taps off and wiped the water off my face.

Shivering from the cool air hitting my skin, I quickly wrapped the towel around me. The floorboards shifted slightly under my feet as I walked into the kitchen. I filled the bottom half of the sliver coffee pot with water and screwed the top back on. Taking the lid off, I poured in a couple of tablespoons of coffee. I yawned as I heard the click as the back burner lit and set the pot down.

Rubbing the goose bumps on my arm to generate some heat, I went back to my room to see if there was anything clean left in my wardrobe. I laughed at the few options I had left; they were more for clubbing that work, but I decided to have fun with it anyway. I pulled on the black leggings and put on a gray t-shirt. I put on a black skirt over my leggings and a leather jacket over my shirt.

I stuffed all the dirty clothes into a burlap laundry sac and set it near the door so I wouldn't for get to take it with me to go after work. I grabbed the paper off the welcome mat and poured some coffee in the small black mug. "At least it's Tuesday and I'll have Archzie to look forward to." I mumbled sleepily to myself.

I grabbed the toast out of the tiny oven and spread on some butter and honey. I turned on the radio for some background noise as I read the morning paper and ironically it was Lost Boys streaming out. Finishing my breakfast, I placed the dishes in the sink and turned the radio and lights off getting ready to leave.

I enjoy my job as a massage therapist. I actually went to school for physical therapy and worked in a doctors office using those skills for a while too. But, I ended up in Sinikka when I opted for a change. I have fun clients; it's the tourists that are usually more stressful to work with.

I came back from lunch and washed my hands in the locker room as I waited for the next appointment. I went into my room and played some Ramones for some background noise as I prepped the room. There wasn't much to do, just wipe down the table and lay a new sheet across it.

Once that was finished, I grabbed my nail file off the counter and sat on the stool singing quietly along to Pet Cemetery.

"Your English sounds pretty good when you sing that." A voice startled me out of my stool.

"Archzie, shit, you nearly gave me a heart attack." I held my hand over my heart feeling it beat faster than it's usual steady rhythm.

He laughed at my glare. "Now, you wouldn't do anything to a guy just wearing an itty bitty towel on?"

"Just lay down on the damn table." I mumbled putting the stool back in the corner.

"No leave it on." Archzie stopped me from turning off the CD.

I grabbed the warmed scented oil and drizzled some on his back. "So, how was your weekend?" I rubbed the tensed part of his muscle around his shoulder blades.

"Lazy, just the way I like it." He chuckled into the sheet. "How about you?"

"Boring on my part as well." I sighed. "Paying the bills."

"Always fun." He laughed sarcastically. I smiled to myself when I finally felt his muscles begin to relax. "So did your letter from you mother bring any good news?"

Archzie was always my favorite client because he always asked how I was and was interested in me as well, instead of him doing all the talking or no talking at all. "My sister and brother-in-law are going to have a third child, which is pretty exciting."

"Congratulations." He said sincerely. Another thing I loved about this hour with him was how Archzie is usually this rough, gruff guy with the hard exterior, but with me, he is nothing but a sweetheart. Mostly because we respect each other and don't judge each other, not that he would care much about someone's opinion anyway.

"Thank you." I poured more oil on my hands as I worked lower down his back making his body go limp as I worked the knots out. "But, my father wasn't feeling well, which gets me worried with the winters they will get up there."

"I am sure it is nothing to worry over." He tried to assure me. "You're from Lapland originally right?"

"Yup, in Inari." I laughed softly as he moaned when I rubbed the right spot.

"Can you get there by plane?" He asked curiously.

"Yes, usually when the weather is better there are a few direct flights." I shrugged. "But, I prefer to take the train to get me as far as Kemi; it is less expensive that way."

"It's nice up in Lapland. Too quiet for my liking, but it's nice." He sighed releasing some tension.

"I prefer my quiet sometimes though more than the bustling city." I smiled to myself.

"So, I was wondering, what is your real name?" Archzie tried to bring the question up casually.

"You were wondering or was your friend, Jyrki, wondering?" I smirked feeling the muscles stiffen around his neck.

"Why does it matter?" He smiled innocently.

"Because then you would be doing his dirty work. And I'm shocked Archzie, I didn't take you for someone's bitch." I teased.

"Hey!" He said defensively. "I am no one's bitch."

I laughed. "Doesn't seem that way to me." I laughed harder hearing him mumble obscurities to himself about Jyrki and how he can do his own dirty work. "That's what I thought. So Archzie how is the lucky lady in your life?"

"Her name is Saara. And she is doing lovely. It's nice to have someone to return home to, you know?" He turned his head slightly to get a better look at me while we talked.

I sighed softly and flashed a quick smile at him. "I can imagine."

"What?" Archzie asked amused as he flipped over. "There is no guy in your life?"

I shook my head and place a little more oil in my hands. I rubbed them together and began to work the kinks out in arms and chest. "Not at the moment."

He scoffed at me. "I find that hard to believe. You are far to beautiful to not have been swept off your feet."

I smiled, but had to roll my eyes. "That is very flattering really, but it's not that hard to believe."

"I have a feeling that someone will be able to soon." He closed his eyes.

"Oh, did your master inform you of this as well?" I mocked.

"Oh, vitsi." He slapped my arm lightly.

I laughed and pressed a pressure point briefly making him wince. "Not nice to tease someone who could possibly have you life in their hands." I said smartly grinning.

Archzie glared playfully and retaliated, "Well my dear, it's not nice to tease someone who could possibly have your love life in their hands."

I stopped laughing and frowned. "That's not funny."

"Then, it is a good thing I am not joking." Archzie sat up since we were almost over. He lifted my chin so I would look into his eyes. "He seems to really like you, and has said less than two words to you practically. Give him a chance."

"I though you weren't doing his dirty work." I pulled my face softly out of his grip. I sighed and leaned on the counter wiping the extra oil off my hands with a small face cloth.

Archzie shrugged. "I was thinking of only your benefit actually. You look like you could use some fun, am I wrong?"

"I guess not." I thought over his offer and shook my head. "This is ridiculous Archzie setting me up on a date."

"Why?" He grinned. "What are your plans after work? I could put in a call."

"I happen to be very busy going to the laundry mat." I laughed how stupid this whole conversation sounded.

"Very busy huh?" He rolled his gray eyes at me.

"Yes baldy very busy." I smirked and patted his shiny head for emphasis. "I miss your long hair."

"Eh, this is more efficient on tour." He swatted away my hand and rubbed his head as if I messed up the skin on it. "Well, when you are not busy, what do you say?"

"Why me?" I asked dieing to know. "Honestly, I rather not put myself in a position that is doomed from the start."

"How would it be doomed from the start Maizie?" He crossed his arms.

"Because," I threw my hands in the air. "What if it were to amount to something and you go off traveling different countries, while I am stuck here."

"Ah," he pointed his finger at me. "So you have been thinking of Jyrki as well."

"That was sneaky of you." I glared.

His grin widened from ear-to-ear. "You said it not me. I think I shall put in a call anyway."

"Do what you wish." I tried to say indifferently as butterflies fluttered inside. "Your buddies are probably waiting for you in the sauna."

"Ah, a polite kick in the ass out the door." He laughed and kissed my cheeks goodbye. "Love you to darling."

"I believe that this would be considered stalking now." I said not turning around stuffing my wet clothes in the large metal bin, having already seen him out of the corner of my eye.

"Hey," he put his hands up in defense. "I just asked him to help find out your name and I have my own dirty clothes to clean. Sheer coincidence." He held up his own sac of laundry.

"I'm sure." I looked at him skeptically. "And you weren't man enough to find out my name on your own. What am I to think now of your character?"

He turned around after setting the washing machine and leaned on it smirking. "Well, what do you think of me?"

I smiled and tilted my head slightly tapping my chin. I walked around him amused, looking him up and down. "Well, you do have pretty eyes, but I am sure your fans tell you that plenty so they no longer matter."

"How will I see?" His smirk widened.

"There are other ways." I smirked back briefly before pacing in the other direction considering, what do I think of him. "Are you a man of determination seeing as you still persist to find my name since Friday. Though, going through Archzie isn't very appealing."

Jyrki shrugged. "I was not sure if I would be able to find you otherwise."

"I'm sure you would have found a way if you really wanted to." I leaned against the opposite washing machine.

"Well miss Maizie, do I get to know your birth name?" Jyrki smiled.

"Why?" My eyes narrowed slightly in confusion. "What does it matter what name I give you?"

Jyrki heaved himself off of the washing machine. "Because what if I told you my name was Bob."

"Bob?" I stifled a giggle. "Why would you say that?"

"What won't you say your real name?" He countered my question with his own.

"How do I know that you are worthy of my name?" I smiled coyly.

"Well miss Maizie, even though that is not your real name, how would you let me take you out for drinks to show you?"

"What if I were to say no?" I asked curiously.

He frowned and took a few steps closer. "I would continue to ask politely until you said yes."

"Politely?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Politely." He repeated with a firm nod of his head.

"What time?" I smiled giving in.

I couldn't help but laugh lightly at the biggest smile his lips formed. "How about after we are done here? You can drop your stuff off at your place and we can continue from there."

"Alright," I stuffed my hands in my blazer's pocket nervously and smiled shyly.