Status: It returns...slowly<3

Seize the Day, Relish the Night

006

Image

We didn't talk much as we finished doing our laundry. Though, we would steal glances at each other. I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks every time I was caught as I busied myself folding the freshly cleaned clothes. Jyrki, however, would just send a smirk my way.

The walk to my place also served as some more awkward silences except for the dry conversation about the weather.

I unlocked the front door to the old stone building and smiled shyly at Jyrki as he held the door open for me.

I turned around when we got to the second flight of stairs and chuckled seeing Jyrki start lacking behind me. "Are you too old to keep up." I grinned teasing, even though he couldn't be much older than I.

"Never." He laughed. "Just out of curiosity, of course, what floor are you on?"

"To answer your curiosity, and of course your old muscles, the top floor." I smiled widely at his playful glare. I went down the three steps towards him and grabbed his hand, lacing my fingers with his as we continued to the top floor."

"You didn't say there was only one more flight." He laughed at himself.

"You didn't ask." I smirked and put the old copper key in the two locks and shoved the door open, as it got slightly jammed as usual. "Home sweet home." I waved my arm around to the contents of the apartment.

I laid my sac in the entranceway and watched as he laid his gently next to mine and walked to the large window in the room. It was the focal point for the reason of its magnificent view. "It's beautiful."

"I love it. It's my own little treasure piece of Helsinki." I smiled softly agreeing.

Jyrki shoved his hands in the back pockets of his leather pants and turned to face me grinning. "So how about those drinks?" I nodded and swallowed as he leaned in real closes and tightened my scarf for me. "Wouldn't want you to catch cold now would we?"

"No," I breathed and moistened my lips watching his. "We wouldn't." I blinked a few times glared at his satisfied grin on his face. "Shall we?" I turned around not waiting for his answer and started for the door. Hearing his footsteps behind me gave me more than enough satisfaction to not turn around to see that devilish grin on his lips.

Jyrki smiled to himself at the reactions he had been receiving from me and picked up his laundry sac following me out the door and waited patiently as I locked my apartment. "So where to?"

I looked at him funny. "You were the one who asked me to drinks, were you not?"

"I was." He nodded to confirm so.

"Then, you should have this all planned out already." I rolled my eyes and continued to descend the stairs.

Jyrki quickly regained himself and scrambled to get in front of me. He began to walk down the stair backwards looking into my eyes. "Oh, but I do."

"Mmhm." I looked behind him. "Shouldn't you turn around now?"

"What?" He puffed out his chest to impress me. "You don't think I can do this?"

"No, it's a stupid idea to walk like that especially down the stairs and-" I sighed as he slipped on the newspaper that someone had left out that I was trying to warn him of. I cringed when he didn't regain his balance and grabbed his hand.

Jyrki took hold of it, but only brought me down with him closing his eyes and groaned when he landed flat on his back. It wasn't the pain that hurt so much, though he will probably have a bruise in the morning, but his pride was definitely wounded. "That might have been stupid."

I laughed laying on his chest and stood up, making a mental note that his cologne smelt particularly refreshing. I grabbed his wrist to help him to his feet. "Of course it was. There are different ways to impress me you know." I grinned biting my bottom lip and walked passed him to the front door.

I waited for him as he stood there picking up his laundry sac seem to try to recollect himself. "Coming? Or have you had enough for one night?"

"Love," He towered over me, even at my high stature for a female. "You will never be able to have enough of me."

My breath caught, having a feeling that his words may hold some truth to them. "We shall see." I replied trying to hold an indifferent look on my face so he wouldn't know that he had that advantage over me. "So," I walked passed him as he held the door for me again. "Have you figured out where you are taking me this fine dark evening?"

The streetlights cast romantic shadows on his face, making him even more alluring, like he needed any help with that. "I have an idea." He smirked placing his sunglasses on his face for an added edge and hooking his arm with mine as we made our way down the sidewalk together.

I let him lead me to this club, where the bass of the music could be heard from out side. I could feel my heart's rhythm speed up to match it once we stepped inside. Jyrki laced his fingers with mine. "Stay close." He whispered in my ear as he led me through the crowd to a back room. A few people were in the room that he said a quick hello to and introduced me to. "Your stuff will be safer in here than in the coat room up front." He helped me out of my coat.

I recognized my settings as he lead me back out to the crowd. I had been to this club a few times myself and nodded in approval because they played good music. However, it wouldn't be a place to get to know someone well. Shouting over music isn't exactly a proper way to have a meaningful conversation.

"What would you like to drink?" He asked still holding my hand protectively in his so he would not lose me.

I shrugged. "Just a beer."

He smiled and nodded that he heard me and ordered two Lapin Kulta's. He paid the bar tender and handed me my beer. "We have to toast to something you know." He said loudly over the music.

"Like what?" I grinned waiting to hear what he had to say.

He paused thinking of something and smirked. He leaned over and whispered in my ear. "Your name."

I laughed clinking my bottle against his before taking a sip. "Maybe." I let go of his hand and went into the middle of the dance floor swaying my hips to the beat as I waited for Jyrki to find me again. I smiled as I felt his free hand slip into mine and spin me around so I rested against his chest.

I grinned and took another gulp of my beer waiting for the alcohol to work its magic and loosen me up a bit. He continued to hold my hand and stared in my eyes as we danced. I laughed hearing a good song and spun around again, swaying my hips and moved my arms around Jyrki's neck.

His hand moved down my side and his thumb into the loop of my skirt, rubbing it against my hip. I smiled and let my eyes flutter shut enjoying the small touch. A couple of hours must have slipped by as we danced among the sea of people.

Jyrki leaned over and shouted loud enough for me to hear, "Would you like to go meet Jussi?"

I shrugged, but nodded my head. Honestly I could care less about meeting him. And as much fun as I was having, I would have rather gone to a quiet bar to just talk and get to know each other. The only thing I know about this man is that he sings in a rather famous band and the few bits and pieces that I have from talking with Archzie.

He grinned and led me back to the back room form earlier when we had first arrived. "Jussi!" He called over interrupting his conversation. "I want you to meet someone."

I put up a brave face meeting someone else new and smiled as he walked over with an extra bounce in his step.

"Ah, you are far to beautiful to be hanging out with the likes of him." Jussi smirked.

"Yes, I know." I smiled playing along. "You're bassist put in a call to help your desperate friend."

Jussi laughed. "Yes," he looked over at Jyrki's frown and grinned. "He does need a bit of help doesn't he? So," he looked back toward me. "What is the name of the witted beauty?"

Jyrki looked interested at me at how I would answer Jussi's question. I smirked back at him knowing that he thinks he will finally find my name out. "Ah, you see Jussi. If I tell you, I will have an unfortunate mess to clean up after I kill you. Jyrki still does not know it and neither shall you I'm afraid. But, you may call me Maizie."

"Then, Maizie is what I will call you." He sent Jyrki a curious look as he led me to take a seat on the couch.

"I've seen you DJ here before. I like the choice of music you play." I complemented.

"Variety is the spice of life, I like to say." He grinned.

"That gives it all its flavor." I finished the quote and corrected him. "Actually I believe it was William Cowper who liked to say it."

"Ah, what is your accent." Jussi smirked, not minding that he had been corrected. Jyrki watched amused as I chatted with his friend and looked confused at the comment; he hadn't detected an accent.

"So I am caught." I smiled. "Barely anyone notices it anymore."

"Finnish is not your first language?" Jyrki asked, assuming that I had been from Helsinki.

"No," I shook my head. "Inari Sami is. My parents refuse to let the language die. It is all we speak at home. My parents are extremely respected for teaching us the language and using it. Most speak North Sami now, even that is becoming rare."

"Say something in it." Jussi asked amused.

"Arve." I laughed not knowing what to say.

"What was that?" Jyrki smiled loving how the word rolled off my tongue.

"Rain." I chuckled. "It's not that interesting."

Jussi shook his head. "No, it sounded beautiful."

"Well, thank you, but it's not as fun when so little people speak it." I smiled sadly. Speaking the one word reminded me of home and how much I have missed it. "No one speaks it here at least."

"I could see how that would be lonesome." Jyrki smiled sympathetically.

"It can a bit." I smiled back thankful at his gesture and explained myself further." But, it is not like my friends spoke it either. Only in language nest did I speak it with other people that were not my family. Anyway, Helsinki is much more exciting. And if I didn't like it here I would have returned home many years ago."

"How long have you lived in Helsinki?" Jussi leaned his arm on the back of the couch.

"Eight years in a few weeks actually." I thought back smiling how I had it marked on my calendar.

"Then, we should go out and celebrate." Jussi declared enthusiastically.

I smiled, but declined the offer. It was just shy of 01.00 so it seemed like an appropriate time to leave. Not too early that it would seem rude, but late enough to make an exit. "I should probably start heading home anyway. I have to work early."

"Ah, maybe another time then." Jussi smile. "I am always up for a drink, especially with a beautiful lady to accompany me with."

I smiled, blushing slightly at the compliments he kept giving me. "Another time then."

He pointed his index finger at me wearing a serious look on his face. "I will hold you to that."

I nodded and stood up. "I would hope so." I began to put my coat on when Jussi came to my aid like a gentleman, holding it as I slid my arms in the sleeves. "It was nice to meet you Jussi."

Jussi shot Jyrki a pointed look over my shoulder and nodded his head towards me. I saw Jyrki's confused face and looked over my shoulder to see Jussi smiling at me. "Same here love." Jussi looked over at Jyrki's laundry sac and offered to take it back to their place for him.

"Ready?" Jyrki stood up smiling warmly at me.

I hadn't expected him to walk me home as well, but I nodded my head and let him lead me out of the club still as loud as we first came in, just the music wasn't as good.

Jyrki lit up a cigarette to calm his nerves. "So did you have fun?" I nodded and smiled. Jyrki frowned at my silence. "Are you okay?"

I looked up at him, his eyes hidden behind his sunglasses still. "I'm just tired."

Jyrki stuck the cigarette in his mouth and stopped me. "Come here." He turned around and lifted me on his back.

I let out a squeal of surprise and wrapped my arms around his neck for dear life. "I can still walk!"

Jyrki shrugged and continued to my apartment. I rested my head on his shoulder and let out a soft tired sigh. I closed my eyes trying to ignore the cold air nipping at my nose and dosed off.

Jyrki tried to contain himself as the sweet breath tickled his neck. He approached the apartment building slightly disappointed that the night had come to an end already. "Maizie?"

He looked to the side and smiled at the sleeping beauty feeling slightly bad that he had to wake her up. "Maizie."

"Yes?" I said still half asleep and nuzzled my head to a more comfortable position.

"We're home." He said softly.

I opened my eyes slowly slightly shocked to see my eyes in the reflection of the large sunglasses. "Jyrki?"

"Hi." He smiled. "You fell asleep."

"Oh." I smiled embarrassed as he lowed me slowly to the ground. My foot slipped on some ice almost sending me to the ground, but he quickly turned around and wrapped his arms around me.

"I think one fall is more than enough for the day." He smirked.

I laughed tiredly and agreed. "Thank you for tonight."

"I should be thanking you. I enjoyed dancing with you." His voice vibrated against my head as he still held me close.

I looked up and saw him dipping his head down towards mine. I turned my head and reached passes his lips to his ear whispering, "Goodnight." I kissed his earlobe and swiftly went past him and into the building. I leaned on the wall watching him from the door as he ruffled his hair and took a glance back to the building before taking off down the sidewalk.

I let out a breath that I had been holding and wiped my hand over my face. "What are you doing Tuuli?" I mumbled to myself as I unlocked the door and began to make my way up to my place.