Status: It returns...slowly<3

Seize the Day, Relish the Night

009

Image

"I cannot believe we talked for that long." I laughed as he swayed our hands together while we walked, retracing our steps back to my apartment.

"I can." Jyrki smiled. "I could have sat there until at least dawn, listening to what you had to say. And the sun won't be rising for quite some time."

I returned his smile feeling really touched. "I still have yet to know much about you though."

"Well, what is it that you already know?" He grinned interested in my answer. "Did you google my name?"

I laughed and shook my head. "No, but Archzie would talk about you, the band, and other friends of his sometimes."

"Archie thinks very highly of you." Jyrki smiled warmly. "He almost didn't let me take you out tonight."

I blinked surprised. "I didn't realize I had meant that much to him, other than just an acquaintance."

"You should know that's not true. I guess you two have had some meaningful conversations." Jyrki smirked. "He always makes sure that he has his Maizie when he goes to the sauna."

I nodded recalling a few times that Archzie had confided in me. "So he really wasn't going to let you have another chance, huh?" I looked up at Jyrki with an amused smile on my lips.

"No." He said softly, watching his feet stroll across the sidewalks. He looked down at me. "Would you have? Granted, that we had not switched laundry bags on mistake."

I buried my fingers in my blond hair under my hat, ruffling it nervously from being put on the spot with his question. I smiled as I formed the right words together. I looked up to see his intense blue eyes shining nervously down at me. "I believe curiosity may have spiked my interest." I grinned teasingly and let my face soften with seriousness. "But, I would have said yes even without being threatened."

"That is very appreciated to know." Jyrki laughed and stopped. He looked around shyly and rubbed the back of his neck making his hair tangle between his fingers. "I seem to have forgotten the correct direction to your humble maison."

I smiled at the innocent blush staining his cheeks in embarrassment. "I'm like getting lost in the woods. Find the water and you'll find you're way to salvation. Or, in this case, you will find me."

He smiled at the analogy and the thought of how he could find salvation in me. He was slightly surprised when I didn't seize the moment to jest at his lacking sense of direction. "I will have to remember that." Jyrki gave my hand a slight squeeze and led us in the direction of the harbor.

A cool winter's night breeze sent shivers rippling across my skin. I smiled knowing we were closer to the sea. The sweet salt air hit my nostrils confirming my assumption. I tugged Jyrki's hand and pulled him lightly down the pier, where a small tug boat was docked for the night.

I let go of his hand a sat down on the edge letting my feet hang over, looking at the black water splashing around were the tug boat had broken through the ice. I felt the warmth from Jyrki wash over me as he sat down next to me, letting his feet dangle over the edge as well.

"So?" I grinned up at him. "Tell me about yourself already."

He chuckled at my impatience. "Like what? Like what I say during an interview?"

I had to laugh a little at how confused he was and how unsure he was as to how to answer my question. "No, I don't need to know how the band was formed or why you named the band its name. I want to know who Jyrki is. It's not so hard."

"Says you." He laughed nervously.

"I do say so. I have talked the whole night about myself. So there is the proof right there for you." I nudged him hoping that would get him to start talking.

"Let's see." Jyrki rubbed his chin and chuckled. "I am the world's biggest nerd." I laughed and he shook his head. "You don't believe me? Well, it's true. I've always had my head in a comic book since I was a little boy."

"So you're one of the suave nerds then, huh?" I mused.

"I suppose so." He grinned charmingly running his hand through his suave hair. "I have a step brother, Anssi. He's a cool guy, about eight years younger than me. Anssi will usually come on tour with us and do some odd jobs. It gives him an excuse to travel. My mother," he rolled his eyes laughing softly to himself. "She's a crazy woman, but I appreciate her. Especially, the high expectations she held for me my whole life. It gave me something to aspire to, even if I fucked up a couple of exams."

"So, your mother has always supported you?" I smiled as his fingers brushed against my cheek, moving stray hairs that the breeze blew in my face.

Jyrki let his hand fall back to his side, leaving me wishing for another breeze to blow more hair in my face, just to have an excuse for him to touch me. "More or less. She's my mother so I suppose she should support me." He chuckled. "But, to answer your question, yes, she has always been there for me."

"So, besides your science and your comic reading, what do you like to do?" I asked genuinely interested. I wanted to know every last detail about this man for the sake of hearing his story. I've always enjoyed listening to life stories and what paths have brought someone to where they are to this day. Because these stories and events in our lives make us who we are.

"I love movies and just learning about new things. There is never enough knowledge out there for us not to learn, you know?" He paused really thinking the question over. "And when all is said in done in this life, for myself, I want to be able to say that I absorbed as much as I could. Like, when I go places, whether it be for tour or leisure, I learn about the city's history. And read books written on it or google as much information as I can."

Hearing how google was his answer for everything unknown, earned a laugh from my end. I yawned softly and rubbed my eyes. "You know what Jyrki?"

"What?" He smiled.

"I think the best thing about your personality so far is how optimistic and open minded you are. I like that." I said honestly making him grin.

"Thank you. So, what else would you like to know?" Jyrki said confidently this time, excited and more at ease to share more himself to me.

"Anything and everything." I grinned and listened as began to tell bits and pieces of his own life story.

His voice seemed to wrap itself around me safely and lull me into a peaceful state.

Jyrki stopped mid-sentence feeling the extra weight on his arm. He smiled down seeing my eyes closed and gentle breaths escape between my flushed lips.

He gently cradled me in his arms in a more comfortable position. "Darling?" Jyrki breathed softly rubbing his thumb in circles against my cheek.

I smiled feeling the warmth roll over my face and squinted confused hearing a soothing whisper brush over my eyelashes. My eyes fluttered open and widened in shock seeing Jyrki's face so close to my own.

Jyrki's arms wrapped tightly around me, making sure I didn't fall off the dock and through the sliver of open ice. "We wouldn't want that now would we darling."

I looked over his arm at the cold water and winced thinking of being in there. Although, I have endured the cold water after being in the sauna. At least in the area used for the sauna, the ice has been chipped away making sure no one would be stuck beneath it's glassy barrier. "No, we wouldn't." I swallowed. "Thank you."

"No need." He smiled standing up and pulling me with him. "I wouldn't want to take the risk." I stared at the water a bit longer before looking up at the concern etched in his face. "Are you okay darling?"

The corner of my lips rose in a smile. "Darling?" I tilted my head thinking the word over. "That sounds romantically ancient, or something from a fairy tale."

"Well, then, the word will forever be reserved for you in my vocabulary." Jyrki smiled and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Come," He kissed the top of my head affectionately. "You are exhausted."

He chuckled at he faint rose that tinted my cheeks and slowly lead us to my apartment building. I looked around the harbor, noticing that most of the street lights that are used as the artificial sunlight were turned off, letting me know how late it must have been.

I grabbed my keys out of my jacket pocket as we ascended the front steps. I felt his arm slip off of my shoulder as I unlocked the first door. I looked at him funny. "Where do you think you are going?"

Jyrki returned my funny look with one of his own. "After I see you are safely inside. I had planned on returning to my own home."

"I still have my own hostage of your belongings." I smirked deviously.

He let out a hearty laugh. "Then, it seems that I must follow you still."

I held the door open for me and smiled as he rushed ahead to open the next door and hold it for me. "Thank you." I smiled shyly and went into the side room to retrieve my mail quickly. "Plan on walking backwards again?"

Jyrki laughed remembering how that ended last night. "Not for a while anyway. I still have the battle scar on my back that says I shouldn't."

I laughed and enjoyed the comfortable silence that cloaked us as we walked to the top floor. I flipped through my keys for my apartment and unlocked the two locks. I blushed as Jyrki's hand rested on my lower back as he followed me inside. I flipped on the entrance way light and dumped my purse and keys on the table.

"Ah, I see Max had made himself comfortable for a while." I chuckled seeing the plastic bag of gummies and an empty glass left out on the coffee table. I went down to my room and listened to Jyrki's footsteps shyly follow me. I picked up the bag of clothes. "Wouldn't want you to smell to badly tomorrow."

He shrugged. "It would just be a familiar smell to remind me of touring."

I laughed. "Sounds lovely."

"Oh, it is." Jyrki grinned. "What better smell is there than the smell of manliness?"

"I could think of a few." I chuckled following him to my front door. "Are you sure you don't want me to call you a cab?"

"Yes. I do not live too far from you. Helsinki," he waved his hand around. "Is a fairly small city."

I laughed. "I would have to disagree with that. I am lucky to know the district that I live in even after all these years of me living in this city."

He chuckled. "Good night Maize." He moved out of the doorway and turned to leave.

"Jyrki!" I called out to him and grabbed the sleeve of his leather jacket stopping him. I bit my lip in hesitation and looked up into his vibrant blue eyes. "Tuulikki. My name is Tuulikki."

I shyly smiled at the grin that appeared ear to ear on his lips.

He softly held my chin in his hand. "You should never, ever use any other name than such. I am honored to be in the presence of the forest goddess herself." I felt my cheeks heat with his words. He leaned down and brushed his lips softly against mine. "Good night Tuulikki." He smirked at the dazed look on my face as my eyes fluttered open.

I silently watched his form descend the steps and smiled bringing my fingers to my lips. I ran over to the railing and watched him walk on to the main floor with an extra bounce in his step. "Good night Jyrki!" I called down to him.

"Sleep tight my darling." He called back before disappearing through the front door.

Hearing him use this affectionate word again sent butterflies fleeting in my soul.

Jyrki whistled The Doors' Light My Fire with his hands shoved in his pockets. Never has he felt so alive and satisfied in his life where it has not involved music of any sort.

He had earned my respect and my trust enough to learn my birth name. And he felt truly honorable and important to be able to have gain that knowledge.

"Tuulikki." Jyrki whispered to himself and smiled.

Jyrki couldn't keep still as he walked home as he played with spare change in his pockets. He climbed the stairs to his apartment effortlessly still whistling away.

His smile, however, diminished slightly seeing Jussi on his couch puffing away on a cigarette. A nasty habit that Jyrki couldn't stand. Although, he was a hypocrite, when the other night he, himself, had one to calm his nerves.

"Why are you here?" Jyrki asked shutting the door behind him, tossing his laundry bag to the side in the hall, and taking off his gloves and leather jacket.

Jussi grinned putting out the cigarette in the ash tray, not before lighting another one up and inhaling deeply. "My feet carried me here." He grinned, the smoking seeping out his nostrils.

"I feel so special." He smiled sarcastically plopping himself in his chair and kicking off his boots.

"You should." Jussi's grin widened.

Jyrki looked about the room noticing it already a mess from Jussi's presence. "Don't you bother any of your other friends?"

"Ah," Jussi waved his cigarette around casually and smiled. "None of them have an interesting tale to tell. So, how did things go tonight."

That silly smile instantly reappeared on Jyrki's lips thinking of this evening.

"Apparently well." He smirked tapping the stray ashes into the tray and rolled his head to the side to read the clock hanging on the far wall. "Especially since it's near 2.00?"

"It went well enough." Jyrki grinned knowing that it would get to Jussi that he wasn't being so straight forward.

"Modesty? Is that supposed to be some sort of cover up?" Jussi raised an eyebrow. "Maybe it didn't go so well." He blew the smoke out through his lips slowly.

"Her name is Tuulikki." Jyrki smiled proudly enunciating each syllable.

Jussi chuckled and reached over patting his friend on the back. "Congratulations." Jyrki grinned proudly. "You managed not to screw up tonight." He laughed seeing the scowl on Jyrki's face.

Jyrki shrugged it off and sighed. "Tuulikki is amazing." He smiled loving the way my name rolled off of his tongue.

"Good for you man." Jussi smiled happy for his band mate.

"But, she truly is Jussi." He sighed content. "She's smart. She went to school for science too. Well, to become a physical therapist. She has amazing stories to share from living up in Lapland. And she listened to me and made me talk."

"Like you need help in that department." Jussi teased, knowing how hard it could be to shut Jyrki up. Especially, when he got talking about something he was interested about.

"You would think so. But, surprisingly, I was having a hard time speaking so openly at first." Jyrki said honestly. "But, she persisted until she got me talking. And her lips." Jyrki smiled at the sweet parting. Such an innocent kiss, held so much passion.

Jussi laughed and grinned. "Are you going to call her tomorrow?"

Jyrki's smile faded for a second time that night. "I don't have her number." He mumbled and slouched in the chair. He glared over at Jussi, who was currently laughing at his misfortune once again.

Jyrki couldn't believe his stupidity. How could he forget to ask something so important as that?