Innocent Sorrow

Back to school

I sat on my bed looking around. I fell back and closed my eyes listening to what everyone was saying down stairs.

"Did you see her eyes?!" The sheriff said.

"What about her eyes?" My mom snapped making me smile.

"They where gold. I've never seen eyes like that. They where.. wild." He said I could hear him rubbing his neck.

"My daughters eyes are blue." My mom said.

"Her eyes where gold. I swear. They just didn't look real." I sighed and rolled over. I closed my eyes and sleep took me in seconds.

<&&>

I woke up to my mom shaking me. My eyes snapped open and hers locked onto mine. Hers went wide for a moment.

"What happen?" She whispered.

"What you talking about I said sitting up.

"Its... its nothing. You need to get ready Van is driving you to school. You have already missed over a week." She said walking out of the room. I sighed and crawled to the bathroom. I jumped in the shower trying to wash everything that has happened the last few day away. It didn't. When I got out of the shower I felt more stressed. I've been missing for a week and now I'm back and going to school. I wounder what the rumors are going to be. I straitened my black hair and got dressed. I walked down stairs and grabbed a big bowl of ceirl.Van came in a few minutes latter looking better than he did yesterday. I saw him smile out of the corner of my eyes but didn't look up.

"Hurry up and finish we need to go." He said. I drank the rest of the milk in the bowl and got up grabbing my bag and following him out the front door. We got into his truck and drove to school.

When I stepped out of the car new smells slammed into me like walking into a wall. I smelt gas and was wondering if someone didn't put enough deodorant on. I rubbed my nose grabbing sunglasses out of my bag and putting them on to cover my gold eyes. I looked around and saw Eli getting out of her car. She felt my eyes on her and turned around. She smiled locking her car and walking over. I smiled back at her.

"How are thing at home?" She asked in a whisper.

"Good I guess. My mom freaked out about my eyes tho." I said rubbing my neck. Eli frowned.

"It only gets harder." She said and turned to walk into the school. I sighed and followed after her. I looked around for Bree or Damon and saw them walking together. I smiled and started to jog over.

"Bree Damon." I called. Eyes looked at me as I passed. They both looked up at me. School crossed they're faces and then smiles.

"Lycia!" Bree yelled making me cringe. She hugged me.

"I thought... you where dead." She said tears forming in her eyes.

"I'm back now." I smiled over her shoulder at Damon.

"Lets get to class." Bree said linking arms with me and Damon. She pulled us into class late. Eli looked at us as we walked in her gold eyes sparkling in the light.

"Take your seats." She said and Bree pulled us to our seats in the back.

"Umm Mrs. Mercy. We are not allowed to wear sunglasses in class." Beth one of the cheerleader said. I saw a flash of anger in Eli's eyes then she sighed.

"Sorry Lycia." She said. I pulled off the glasses and Bree and Damon stared.

"What?" I snapped making them look away. Eli gave me a sad look and started class.