Self-Righteousness is Wearing Thin

Questions

"Wake up!"

It felt like i had only been sleeping for five minutes. I opened my eyes to see Gates carrying in food and what appeared to be wine. Whatever it was, it was not water.

"Like I said before, eat and drink what you want."

I stared at it before Gates left. When I was sure he was gone, I started in on the food like hadn't eaten in days. Oh wait, that's right, I haven't. Thanks mother.

After I finished the meal, I fell back to sleep.

Gates's P.O.V.
When I got back to Vengeance's throne room, I was immediatly questioned about Talia.

"What's she doing now?"

"Well, when I left, she was sitting on the bed."

He seemed to relax a little. "Did she say anything? Like why she's here?"

"No."

"Okay. Well, since she's staying here for a awhile, we should give her clothes. So, you're going to take some to her. After she cleans up, I want her here."

I stared a minute, wondering what he was thinking of doing, then said, "Will do."

As I was heading down to Talia's room, I couldn't help but hope that Vengeance wasn't going to repeat what he did earlier. I mean, what'd she do to him? It wasn't like she killed his dad. Well, I guess this is his way of getting revenge; she is from the enemy tribe so I guess it's only natural.

Before I knew it, I was nearing Talia'a door. I decided to knock but when I didn't get an answer, I just barged in. Looks like I get to wake her up again.

"Talia, wake up!"

"God, do you people ever let anyone sleep around here?"

"Sorry, Vengeance's orders. I'll let you rest for a little bit if you want."

"Naw, it's fine. Why are you being so nice to me?"

I had no idea how to answer this without sounding like a horny bastard. After thinking momentarily, I answered, "Because I can tell you're different than what I was raised to believe."

She considered this.

"Okay. So Gates, what brings you back down here?"

I handed her the clothes and told her, "Well, I'm supposed to give you these and then after you change I have to take you back to Vengeance."

"You're not seriously going to take me back up to him, are you?"

"I'm only following orders."

She sighed. "Well, can I at least bathe? I feel gross. And if you let me, it will stall making me go back up."

Okay, call me a pushover, but I don't care because number one: Vengeance did say "After she's cleaned up" and number two: if I'm nice now, I might get what i want later.

"I don't see anything wrong with that. He did say he wants you clean."

She smiled gratefully. "Thank God."

"Well let's go."

Vengeance's P.O.V.
What's taking them so long? I swear, women take so long.

A few minutes later, Gates led a clean Talia in.

"It's about time," I growled.

"Someone's a little impatient," Talia remarked smugly.

I just scowled and decided not to answer.

"Gates, you can leave now."

He bowed his head and exited.

"What do you want?"

"You know, if you were smart, you wouldn't have an attitude with me."

Talia just growled, making me smirk. That shut her up.

"Why were you really in the desert? You seem too sane to be wandering within ten miles of here."

She didn't answer at first, then seemed to think better of playing mute and replied, "Look, I was banished. My power-hungry twin sister made up a fake story. She told my mother I was associating with you guys. And, of course, mom didn't even give me a chance to prove i was innocent."

Shit, her mom is even more of a bitch than I thought.

"How long were you out there?"

"I have no idea. A day or two; maybe longer."

"What's you're mother planning?"

She paused as if thinking whether or not to tell me, then she sighed. "She's planning an invasion with her best warriors."

Wow, she told me. She must be pissed.

I looked at her for minute then asked, "Do you have any idea when this invasion will be?"

"No, I don't. I hardly ever pay attention at the gatherings. I found them pointless and stupid. Even if i did know, what makes you think id tell you?"

Ugh, that pride again. "Because, it's your life if you don't tell me everything you know."

"Well I don't know when exactly, okay? Can I go now?"

"Leave."

She glared at me before she left. Well, some of that information was helpful.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, there you go. Feedback is still appreciated.

M. Vengeance and J. Shadows