The Hunger Games

Chapter 1

District 11.
One of the least fortunate of Panems 12 districts. My name is Michaela Brown, and District 11 is my home.
I live with my Mother and my dog Wyatt in a small house in District 11. When the weather is nice I usually take Wyatt out to go hunting with me. My weapon of choice: bow and arrow.
According to the government, hunting outside of the District is illegal. My thoughts on the subject? I think it's stupid. Hunting is the only way I can get food for my small family. Others follow agriculture and farming, but I guess my family is just different.
I'm 15 years old, five feet tall and have medium length brown hair with red streaks in the front and hazel green eyes like a forest.
Tomorrow is my birthday. Oh the joy. My birthday just happens to fall on the same event every year: Reaping day.

Today when I woke up I grabbed my jacket and pulled on my boots, grabbed my bow and arrow and headed towards the woods with Wyatt. When we stopped at the barbed fence we met up with my friend Alexander-I call him Zander-and his Yellow Lab, Macy. "Hey Zander, have you seen anything lately?" I greeted him with a smile.
I've had a crush on him since the 7th grade, but I don't know if he's caught on yet.

"Actually," he paused "I just caught this about an hour ago." Zander lead me into the woods where we stopped at a tall oak tree. Under it was a large Buck.
"HOLY CRAP ZANDER!" I laughed, trying to keep my voice quiet. "How the crap did you kill it?"
"I sat right up in that tree and got it with my knife. I guess I just had super lucky aim." He smiled.
"Well that's good!" I replied before we set off to go hunting for the day.

When we were finished I gave him a huge hug before saying goodbye.
Tomorrow would be a very long day.