The Hunger Games

Chapter 10

I woke up this morning to sunshine streaming through my window. I could've sat there all morning if I hadn't been disturbed by a familiar, obnoxious voice.
"Rise and Shine darling!" Jewels said crashing through my door. "Today is a mighty big day!"
I put my head on my pillow and tried to ignore her. I wanted more sleep, but clearly that was happening anytime soon.
"I guess you could've used a little more sleep I see." I heard her muffled voice through my pillow.
"Yeah I could've." I snapped back through a mouth-full of satin pillow
"Excuse me?" she said confused. I threw the pillow off my head and sat up.
"That's better." she said handing me today's outfit. "Hannah chose this one out."
It was exactly what I liked. A black and white striped tank top, a blue jean jacket, a bright read skirt, black and blue striped socks, and a pair of black converse sneakers.
"Oh my gosh its amazing!" I said happily. Hannah's outfits were the only things that made my life worth living these past few days. Other than Sari andZander at least.
"I'll make sure to tell her you liked it. Hurry now! We want to make sure you have some training time!"

Jewels led me up exaggerated staircases, stretched hallways, and confusing turns. It made my head spin like crazy. We had walked for 5 minutes but it had felt like an hour considering all the walking there was. Finally we came to stop at a pair of large doors. Jewels took a step forward and threw them open.
It was wonderful. The first thing I spotted was the archery station. They also had a camouflage station, knife throwing, knot tying, spear throwing and pretty much anything else you could use against people.
I was about to go to the archery station when I spotted Zander throwing knives. I watched him throw all 10 knives and not miss a single dummy. He was truly perfect at it.
Zander pulled each knife from the dummy's head.
"Oh Hey!" he said turning around. "When did you get here?" he asked
"About a minute ago, and you?"
"Almost an hour." he said smiling. "Just making sure I'm perfect at these knives considering it's the only thing I don't fail at."
"Oh that's nice." I responded.
"Are you okay?" he asked sounding worried.
"Yeah I'm fine." I responded almost choking on the lie. I could tell by the look on his face that I was lying to him.
"Actually, no, I'm not okay." I confessed.
"Well maybe we can talk about it tonight on the roof." he replied. "For now we should really practice. We don't want get killed in the first round when we get in the arena."
"Yeah that's probably a good idea..." I agreed.
We walked over to the archery station and I picked up and bow and arrow. I readied my bow and aimed for a large stuffed wolf, standing as far back as possible. I wanted to make sure I got practice shoot from long distances considering my main goal was to stay in the trees is there were any at all.
I pulled back the bow and released, shooting the wolf straight in-between the eyes.
"Wow..." Zander said in awe. "I couldn't do that in a million years."
I laughed "You probably don't want to see me throw a knife..."
A l dark-haired boy from district 12 walked over to the archery station and grab a bow and arrow. Zander and I weren't very interested in practicing, so we stood by and watched as he aimed at the same stuffed wolf as I had. The boy pulled his arrow back and released just as I did. He shot it straight in the heart.
Zander and I looked at each other.
Great... More competition.