The Hunger Games

Chapter 3

“Citizens of District 11. It’s time for a heroic young man and woman, to come together in unity…” Our old mayor begins. That’s when he gets a nudge from his Wife Lillian. She blushed at her husband’s mistake and takes the microphone.

“Citizens of District 11,” she begins. “We are honored to have such young people to participate in this year’s hunger games.” She then continues a long history report of Panem and the hunger games.
Was the speech always this long? It seemed to get longer every year.
Finally she was done with her speech which seemed to last about forever.
“Now! First the boys then the girls.” A large clear ball was carried up to the table where Lillian was sat. She opened the lid and reached her arm into the glass case. And carefully reads the names of the two boys.
I wonder what two poor kids were going to die this year.
Her voice rang out lough and clear. “Mason Ereck and Alexander Lane!”

At that moment I stopped breathing. I could have died right then and there. Alexander Lane. Alexander Lane
I repeated his name over and over. Oh God, this can't be happening. I felt like I was going to faint until I saw Sari glance at me. She's the only one I have now.

Mason Ereck, a young boy with cropped up light brown hair and dark brown eyes, climbed the stage. He's only 13. I felt some sympathy for the boy but not as much sympathy as I felt for Zander.

Followed behind Mason was Zander. My poor, poor Zander. A tall boy about six feet tall, dark browns eyes, and dirty blond hair. I couldn't see how this could happen. It could have been anybody but it was him.

The second large ball is brought up. Lillian moves her hand around, just to add the tension. She leaves a slight pause of effect before reading the slip. I wanted so badly to be put up there with Zander.

That was when Lillian called out the last two names. “Sari Masa and Michaela Brown!”

I'm going to die. The first though that hit me. Me, Sari, Zander, and Mason. We're all gonna die.
I stood there frozen until Sari tapped my arm and headed for the stage. I followed quickly behind her, going as fast as possible. I wanted to get up there and get out as soon as possible. I had the feeling to crawl into a hole and die. Die a better death than I was facing at the moment.

“Ah! eager ones!” Lillian praises. She shakes mine and Sari's hands. “Let’s give Mason, Zander, Michaela and Sari a round of applause for being this year’s hunger games contestants!”

There are light claps. They all know that this is nothing to be happy for. And when the "applause"
stopped I eagerly stepped off the stage. I wanted to run away so badly but I couldn't.

Oh the irony of dying on your 16th birthday.