The Hunger Games

Chapter 5

Less than an hour later, Zander, Sari, Mason and I were loaded onto a train and on our way to the capitol.
Before loading the train I tried the clear my face of the tears that fell while saying goodbye to my mother, but it didn't work out as planned. I guess it didn't matter
anyways. After all, I could tell that each and everyone of us at been crying as it is.

I could see horrified looks on each of their faces. I'm pretty sure that I was about to start to cry again until I realized that cameras were going to be watching our every move. It gave me a very uneasy feeling. For now on I'm gonna have to be careful about what I say and how I look if I want to keep a reputation. I have to be strong for my Mom and District 11.

After a few moments of awkward silence, Sari and Mason leave me and Zander alone while they entered a small meeting room. This was one of the first times since this morning that I have actually been alone with him and I could already feel the butterflies in my stomach.
"This is crazy." he says after another moment of silence. "What were the chances of us both being entered?!"
I just look at him for a few moments before responding. " I don't really know, but we're lucky to have each other. At least I know that I won't be killed by some psycho-maniac... I mean since I have you here with me. We're just gonna have to work together."
Zander isn't usually the serious type, but I could tell that now he meant business. He didn't seem like the fun-loving boy I thought he was at the moment, but in this case he had a reason.
"I just don't know anymore." he said running his fingers through his hair. "With our luck right now we'll probably die right as soon as we enter the arena."
"Shut-up Zander! Don't say that! You're gonna make me cry!"
I get the last few words out before 5 or 6 people walk into the room. One of the ladies looked like she had just rode down a rainbow into a magical fountain of sparkles. She made me want to throw up. When I looked at Zander I could already see a smile enter his face before he burst out laughing. I was happy to see the old him finally come out.
"Oh my there she is! Michaela!" ,said I weird looking lady with bright pink hair. "Hurry, hurry now! We have much to do in such a short amount of time!"
Zander was still sitting on the chair and unsure about what to do he stood up.
"Oh and my, my, you must be Zander, is that right? We have some work to do with you too. Sam and the others will be in here to address you soon enough" she said with a bright smile.
Out of surprised Zander leaned over and kissed my cheek before hugging me. I swore I was about to faint. "I'll seen you soon." he said before Sam and his sylists walked in and escorted him out.

Freak lady and her four little friends dragged me into the room next door where they sat me in a large chair. That's when they started examining me.
" My apologies! I never introduced myself!" said the lady with the weird pink hair, " My name is Jewles and these are my four friends, Sandy," she said pointing to a tall lean lady with blond hair (I was happy to see that she didn't have crazy hair too), "Lawrence," a skinny man with medium length black hair who seemed to have a bit too many tattoos, "Angel," she said pointing to a short lady with brown hair and rainbow highlights, "and last, but most certainly not least, Hannah."
Hannah, who seemed to be the most normal one out of the group, was a tall lady about in her twenties who had bright orange-red hair.
After introducing everyone, Jewles starts talking again. "We're here to make you look fabulous!"
"You?" I say in disgust. No one ever said I had to be nice to these people. After all if I'm going to die I might as well have a little fun beforehand. "Have you seen yourself?" I say to her. "It looks like a magical unicorn threw up on you."
Hannah, the only one who found it quite amusing, started laughing.
If looks could kill Hannah would probably be dead after Jewles shot a unmistakably angry glare in her direction. Hannah went quiet and Jewles ignored my comment.
"No more jibber-jabbering! We have work to do!

I felt like a different person when they were done with me. I couldn't decide whether it was a good thing or not yet. My eyebrows had been plucked into thin lines, my arms were waxed, and my hair was cut, "layered", and thinned out. Layering was some fancy word they used for cutting hair into uneven lengths. These Capitol people are weird, but I have to say that my hair looks pretty nice.