Status: ;; finished!

The Only Hope for Me Is You

Epilogue.

Gerard stood completely still as he watched the makeshift coffin being lowered into the ground. A few stray tears burned his eyes behind his mask but he made sure no one saw them. He had to be the strong one out of all of them, he had to keep it together for everyone else.

Frank stood off to the side, having much of the same stance as Gerard, but he didn't try to hide his tears. His childhood friend - no, correction, best friend - was gone. The girl he thought he loved was dead and he couldn't do anything about it. He didn't do enough to save her and he blamed himself for everything that had happened.

Abigail and Mark held each other and sobbed quite loudly. Grace had an arm around each one of them, letting out cries of her own. The three were heartbroken. Grace had become quite attached to the strange Killjoy and Abigail and Mark had just got her back into their lives and she left them again.

"It's not fair!" Abigail screamed out, dropping onto the sandy earth. "Why?! Why did she have to be taken away?!" Grace quickly bent down to comfort the small girl.

Mikey and Ray sighed as they grabbed the shovels, heaving dirt on top of the wooden coffin. Mikey let out a slight sob as the dirt piled higher and higher.

"Fuck this." Frank muttered, tearing away from the small group that had been formed around the hole that now held his dead best friend.

He knew how Abigail felt. She had just returned to them a few weeks ago and now, she was gone again. The only difference being, there was no way she could return.

What made Frank the angriest was that it had to be her! She was so brave and strong, she fought for anyone and anything. She had such a big heart and didn't deserve to die. Yes, he understood that she must of died happy; Korse and Better Living had been defeated. It quickly crumbled and the world had started to rebuild itself into a normal means of civilization. But Frank had wanted her to be there to see what she had accomplished. If it wasn't for her, they wouldn't have gotten so far.

"You okay, man?" Ray asked, walking towards his friend and placing a hand on his shoulder. He gave it a comforting squeeze and waited for the other man to respond.

"Why did it have to be her, Ray? It wasn't her time, I just know it wasn't." Frank muttered, reaching into his pocket to light a cigarette. It always seemed to calm him, but as of right now, it had no effect.

"Maybe it was, Frank. She died doing what all of us Killjoys had spent most of our life wanting to do. I say she died proud and happy." Ray took out some of his own cigarettes and lit one up for himself.

"Guys, come on." Both men turned to look at Grace's tear streaked face. "The fire is started and we're waiting on you."

Tonight, in honor of their beloved friend and sister, they were having a huge bonfire just to reflect on all of their memories of her.

Both of the men quickly followed the girl as she took the place beside Abigail and Mark who still seemed to be crying to themselves.

Soon, the stories began and it was like old times. They laughed and they cried, but most of all, they celebrated. They celebrated the life of Avarie Lynn Bicardi and what she had done to take down Better Living.

After another few hours, Frank stood and made his way over to the four graves. He passed Flame Thrower, Dangerous Detonator, and Violet Vengeance. Detonator and Violet had died covering Gerard and Frank's backs as they carried Avarie out. They told them to run when they turned back for them, but Frank didn't have the heart to leave them. They were all buried yesterday while Avarie was buried today.

Frank knelt in front of the grave, his fingers running over the wooden cross that they had thrown together and put her name on including her date of birth and death.

"I'm so sorry, Ree-Ree. I'm sorry I didn't protect you like I should have, I'm sorry I wasn't there, and I'm sorry I couldn't save you." Frank spoke softly, his eyes pooling with tears once again. He buried his face into his arms that rested on his squat legs. "I love you, Avarie. Always have, always will."

A moment of silence passed before he felt a tiny hand on his shoulder. He looked up into the face of Abigail. Her eyes, that were identical to Avarie's brown ones, were red and puffy and small whimpers still passed through her lips. Frank opened up his arms and the little girl fell into them. Silence overtook the pair once again.

"Who knows," Abigail whispered. "Maybe she's up in heaven with Mommy, watching over us and protecting us in her own way."

All Frank could do was nod and hoped that Abigail was right, and hoped that Avarie was truly happy and at peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End.
Like it, don't like it?
What did you honestly think of the story? What were your favorite/least favorite parts? Let me know, people! Honesty is the best policy!
Again, thank you to all who subsribed, commented, and read! I love all of you, Killjoys. Even the ones who didn't comment. -.-' xP
But, thank you, thank you, thank you. The story wouldn't of continued and done as good as it had if it weren't for you guys. So, give yourselves a pat on the back because you made the story what it is!
I love all of you sooo much!
Here's the statistics for this story;
99 Comments ;; 178 Readers ;; 78 Subscribers ;; NINE FUCKING STARS!
That's pretty awesome, if you ask me! And it's all thanks to you, once again.
Signing out for the last time for this story,
- Midnight Massacre <3<3<3