Status: ;; finished!

The Only Hope for Me Is You

002.

I didn't know how the hell Show Pony was 'on the job', because I've been waiting here for twenty minutes or so. Yes, I know, that doesn't seem like a lot of time, but laziness means death out here in the Zones and I was not about to die. I had to keep motoring on if I wanted to reach my destination. Now, finding my destination was the hard part.

I got up from my sitting position, not bothering to brush my pants off, and slung my backpack over my back once again. I turned my portable radio up, so the music would keep me motivated, and started to walk.

I kept my head up, looking around for any signs of Draculoids. You needed to be always alert, always focused on your goal. If you let your mind wander or didn't pay attention, you could be dead in five seconds flat. I learned that the hard way back in Zone Three.. or was it Four? I couldn't be sure anymore.

I was well into my walk when I saw something far off in the distance. It was moving, that was for sure, but I couldn't tell if it was enemy or accomplice. I took out my ray gun, just in case. I held it high, aimed at the oncoming object, letting them know I wasn't someone you messed around with. It didn't stop or even slow down. If anything, it sped up. As it drew closer, I noticed it was a van and someone was hanging something out of the window. It was a flag of some sort. It was black with.. a white spider? The spider had a lightening bolt etched into its body, and then it clicked.

It was either the Killjoys themselves or Killjoy helpers. But I didn't allow myself to get too excited. It could be a trick from the Draculoids. They could just want to lure me in, thinking I was some stupid amateur. Well, they had another thing coming..

I shot my ray gun once; shifting it slightly so it wouldn't necessarily hit the van, but just close enough to warn them that I was not falling for anything. It came to halt and there seemed to be some kind of hesitation. I readjusted myself into a defensive stance, ready for any kind of fight.

The passenger door opened up slowly and two hands were raised into the air as the figure stepped out. Well, they seemed to not be in attack mode, but like I said before, it could be a trick. When I gave the person a once over, my doubts finally vanished as I smiled and ran to hug him.

"Show Pony!" I exclaimed. My voice was hoarse and sounded strange, the smile felt tight on my face. But that was to be expected. I haven't smiled or spoke in several weeks.

"Midnight Massacre," he said in a calm, serene voice as he hugged me back. I looked into the van and waved to Agent Cherri Cola who was in the drivers seat. She smiled, got out, and gave me a hug, too.

"Alright, hop in, Midnight." she said, sliding open the back door. Inside there was a beat up mattress, some blankets, a pillow, and a red cooler. Resting on the rear doors of the van was a red racing motorcycle.

"We thought you might be a little hungry and a whole lot tired," Show Pony laughed. "So, we decided to let you rest as we drive you to the end of Zone Five."

What Show Pony said puzzled me. "To the end of Zone Five?"

"Well, we can't enter Zone Six," Agent Cherri Cola answered for Show Pony. "It's too dangerous for us. If we got caught by Draculoids... Well, let's just say, our van isn't that fast."

"Okay, but how far am I away from the end of Zone Five?" I asked, thinking it was pretty close and I wouldn't have time to sleep or eat.

"Well, we'll be arriving tomorrow afternoon." Show Pony stated as I climbed into the van.

"Tomorrow afternoon?!"

Show Pony slammed the door closed and hopped into the passenger seat. Agent Cherri Cola started the van and gunned it forward, making me fall back onto the mattress.

"Yeah, tomorrow afternoon. Zone Five is a whole lot bigger than Zone Four or Three." Show Pony muttered, twisting a cap from a bottle of water. "Help yourself to whatever is in the cooler." he added.

"Thanks." I scooted closer to the cooler, lifting the lid to look inside. There were several cans of Power Pup and several bottles of water. Yes, it might be bland but it's what is considered a normal meal out here in this barren wasteland.

I grabbed two bottles of water and a can of Power Pup. Let me tell you, Power Pup is not the best thing you can eat but it's all that's left in the world. Power Pup is a form of dog food. No, I'm not kidding. Korse and his team of evil scientists re-modified it to be healthy for humans. And that's what they feed to everyone who follows them and it's all we can steal off of them.

I looked towards the front of the van to ask for a can opener and maybe a spoon (I'll eat it with my hands, I was that hungry), but Show Pony was already holding them out to me. I smiled and gave him a nod of thanks and returned to the task at hand.

I opened it in record time and shoveled it into my mouth. I had to make myself stop just so I could breathe a little. Of course, it was gross but it felt good against my empty stomach. I finished off the first half of the can in probably ten seconds flat, then turned to my first bottle of water.

"Whoa, slow down! We don't want you to choke!" Agent Cherri Cola exclaimed, glancing at me through the rear view mirror.

"Sorry," I gasped out after my first few mouthfuls of cold water. "I just haven't eaten or drank anything in a while." Show Pony and Agent Cherri Cola laughed and I shot them a thin smile.

I scarfed down the last of my Power Pup and drank the second bottle of water, then rubbed my full belly and heaved a content sigh. I was about to say something else but Show Pony shushed me.

"Sleep. We'll talk later." I narrowed my eyes at him but he shot me a knowing smile.

"But I'm not even-"

"Oh, you know you are. Stop trying to be tough." Agent Cherri Cola spoke up. I rolled my eyes but a smile erupted onto my face, giving me away.

Once again, I scooted across the vans floor. I threw back the two blankets that had been thrown on there and then kicked off my boots, took off my jacket, and unbuckled my holster from around myself.

"Oh, wait, before you get too comfortable, where's your ray gun?" Show Pony asked, fiddling with something up front.

"Uh, right here, why?" I asked, taking the gun out of it's spot and showing it to Show Pony.

"I thought it might need some charging.." he said, handing me back a cord that was attached to some sort of generator thing. I took it from him and hooked it to my ray gun, watching as the charge lights lit up. It stopped when it turned orange, then started to blink, indicating that it was charging.

"You're right. It did need charging. Thanks, again." I smiled at Show Pony and he smiled back.

I lay my ray gun gently next to my holster then crawled onto the mattress. I didn't even have the blankets over me before I fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter, tumbleweeds. Hope this keeps you company throughout your trip through the Zones. :)
Killjoys, make some noise!
This is Midnight Massacre, signing off!