Status: ;; finished!

The Only Hope for Me Is You

009.

I couldn't believe what Ray had just blurted out. There was no way that Bob, the one who was against everything that society tried to make 'better', was a Draculoid. There was no possible way. They had to be lying, I just knew it.

"That's not funny, guys." I said, giving them a serious look to let them know I wasn't amused.

"We're not joking, Avarie." Gerard sighed and ran a hand over his face, then moved to pull me closer but I backed away.

"You have to be," I said, letting a little bit of hysteria into my voice. "Bob would never do that. I know him, and he's not like that."

"He probably didn't have a choice, Ree-Ree." Frank murmured, trying to get me to calm down. I shook my head, standing up and moving away from them both. I walked to the entrance of the cave, completely and utterly angry at them all.

Bob, the guy I knew to be hard-shelled, the one that hated rules and went out of his way to break them, became a Draculoid? No, I don't think so. It's not possible. He would never succumb to Korse's way of life. He would try to rebel like the rest of them did. The guys had to be pulling my leg because I knew my Bob. This was some cruel joke, but why? Why would they like to play me like this?

"Avarie," I heard Grace's little voice speak from behind me. I turned slightly to look at her then crossed my arms.

"I'm not in the mood, Grace." I meant for it to come out much harsher, but with Grace, you simply couldn't do that.

"I know it's hard to hear this, seeing he was your friend. But, you have to remember, he was their friend too, and they wouldn't joke about this kind of stuff." The little girl moved to stand next to me, looking out towards the night sky. "I don't mean to be mean, Avarie, but, please don't screw this up. Don't be angry with them."

I casted her a sideways look, wondering what she was talking about. Catching my look, she continued, lowering her voice so the others wouldn't hear.

"They talked about you often. When I joined them, I honestly didn't know what was going on and why they were so disheartened. I mean, of course I figured out they lost someone, but I heard them talk about past girlfriends and even their parents, fleetingly. Like they were over it and were moving on. But every time you were brought up, a depressed feeling would hang in the air for days. None of them would speak or look at each other, all of them in their own thoughts or world. Losing you was probably the worst thing they ever had to go through, and now, you're back. And they want to keep it that way. They don't want to lose you again and I can understand that.." She took a slight pause then looked up into my eyes. "Don't get mad and leave. Or get upset over something they say or do. They're all big idiots, but you just have to learn to deal. And I don't want to see what they would be like if they lost you for a second time."

I sighed and looked at her, noticing the emotion swimming in her beautiful dark eyes. Grace cared about the group of boys and she honestly didn't want to see them hurt. I could tell it had been hell for her from the time she joined them, seeing them in such a distraught mood.

I smiled, reassuring her I wasn't about to leave anytime soon. "I'm not all that mad.. Surprised, yeah, but not mad."

"Well," Grace took ahold on my hand, giving it a comforting squeeze. "What they are saying is true. I'm sorry you had to find out this way. I didn't know Bob, but, from what I've heard about him, he must not have had a choice." I took a deep breath and nodded, knowing he probably didn't. All the same, tears welled up in my eyes.

I felt Grace pull away but was replaced by someone taller. I looked up to see Gerard smiling softly down at me. Seeing the tears, he wrapped his arms around me, cuddling me to his chest like he use to do when I was upset. I returned the hug, taking shaky breaths to steady my emotions. I didn't need a break down right now.

"I know, Ava. I know." he whispered into my ear, tightening his hold.

"I just.. What if we meet him? What if it comes down between killing him or him killing us? I don't think I'd be able to do it." I muttered, burying my face into Gerard's chest.

"Yes, you will. Because if we do meet him, you will remember that he is an empty shell now. He is controlled by Korse and Korse is the bad guy. Besides, even if we do come across him, you wouldn't be able to tell him apart from the rest of the Draculoids because of those masks. So, it will be easy. Trust me." I felt him kiss the top of my head in a friendly manner, then release me.

His hands remained on my shoulders, making me face him as he bent slightly down to my height. I knew something was weighing heavily on his chest and he wanted to get it off of his chest. I didn't push him and waited for him to collect his train of thought.

"Avarie," he started off with. Taking a deep breath, he continued. "I am so sorry. When you first arrived, I was just bitter about losing you in the first place. I didn't want to get close with anybody outside of our group, so that led me to being an asshole to whoever we met. I'm sorry that you got the brunt of that." His eyes held some deep emotions while awaiting my response.

I could always read Gerard like an open book. Right now, he was worried and I'm betting any money, it was on the fact that he thought I wouldn't be able to forgive him. I smiled softly at him, indicating that I thought he was foolish for even thinking about me not forgiving him.

"Gerard, it's okay. I understand." I said, looking him straight in the eye. "I wasn't at all pleased when I lost you and the guys, either. I was a wreck, thinking you were dead, or worse.." I let my words trail off, my mind instantly flashing back to Bob.

He understood and brought me into another comforting hug, swaying us back and forth slightly. I smiled, liking the feeling and soon found my eyes to become droopy. I slumped in Gerard's arms and he took the hint, lifting me into his arms and carrying me back towards the fire.

My eyes opened lazily and I saw a few sleeping bags had already been set out around the fire with pillows accompanying them. He laid me down into a red one, making sure I was comfortable before giving me a kiss on the forehead, telling me to sleep tight.
♠ ♠ ♠
SIXTY-FOUR COMMENTS!!
I love you guys, have I ever mentioned that?!
I know this chapter is shorter than the others, and not as good as the others. It's just a filler, really. And I decided to update this now because you guys deserve it! You've been amazing readers and you deserve all the props!
Sorry if there is any spelling mistakes or grammar errors, I didn't get time to go over it, like I usually do.. So, if there is any, you can kindly point them out to me and I will fix them.
Keep on commenting, Killjoys! I love you! <3<3
-Midnight Massacre