Status: Completed :D (Maybe an Epilogue...idk)

Windows of the Soul

Chapter Two

The loud beeping of my alarm clock caused me to jump out of bed, nearly tripping on the English book I'd haphazardly thrown on the floor. I rubbed my tired eyes and stumbled through the darkness of my room, searching for the clothes I'd laid out before. I found them and squinted through the darkness to find my bathroom. Once inside I quickly popped my contacts in and slipped into the outfit I had grabbed: a pair of dark flare jeans and a tight light-purple V-neck t-shirt. I looked in the mirror at my disheveled self.

My caramel-colored hair hung in loose curls down my back until they stopped in the middle. My hair could straighten or curl, depending on whether I had blow-dried it the night before. Last night I didn't. My eyes were an emerald-green, and they contrasted nicely with the freckles that dotted my face near my large eyes and nose. I didn't have terrible acne like some of the girls at my school, and it could be easily covered. I wasn't much of a makeup girl; I liked to go all natural. Still, I applied some mascara and lip gloss after brushing my teeth and was ready to go.

Penny pulled into my driveway as I grabbed my backpack, kissed my mom and little sister, Julie, and ran out the door. She waved as I jumped into the passenger seat.

"Hey. You look nice," Penny said as she reversed back onto the road. I lived in a quiet suburban neighborhood; you could hear the birds singing in the woods behind my house. Penny turned the radio on and we sang along with the familiar voice of Lady Gaga as we pulled into school.

Kids stood in different places, just like in a normal high school. We pulled into our usual parking spot and got out of the car. Something felt different. Whispers swirled around us as we made our way to the front door. No one was looking at us, so it probably wasn't about us. Penny grabbed the arm of a passing girl - it was our friend Jess - and pulled her over.

"What's with all the whispering?" Penny asked in a low voice.

"Didn't you hear? There's a new kid, and he's beyond gorgeous. Everyone is talking about him!" Jess hurried off to catch up to the rest of her group. I traded a hesitant glance with Penny before someone grabbed me and spun me around.

"Hey, you," Drew said, leaning down and giving me a quick peck on the lips. I playfully smacked his arm and turned back around to Penny. She was smiling at us.

"Did you hear about the new kid?" Drew asked us. There was a note in his voice and a glint in his eye I'd never seen before. "Everyone is practically drooling over him, but I don't see what the big deal is." I wondered if Drew was jealous of the new kid.

"We haven't seen him yet, we just got here," Penny said.

"Okay, well, we better get to class. I'll see you later!" I kissed Drew passionately goodbye and Penny and I climbed the front steps.

"Sorry," I told her as we wove our way through the crowd.

"Don't be sorry. How many times do I have to tell you I don't care when you have a make-out session with your boyfriend right in front of me?" Penny laughed as I gave her a playful glare.

"We were not making out!" I protested.

"No, I guess not," Penny said thoughtfully. "It was more like tonsil-hockey."

"Hey!" I said as we passed the main office. My locker was on the other side. Like I did every morning, I glanced in but then stopped dead in my tracks.

A boy was standing in the office, leaning against the desk and talking with one of the secretaries. I could see the secretary, Ms. Walsh, laughing at something he said. He had dark brown hair, almost black, and it sat so perfectly on his head. It hit just below his ears, where it had started to curl from the lack of a haircut. The boy turned around and met her eyes, almost involuntary, and she could see where she was standing in the packed hallway that his eyes were the same color as his hair, framed with dark, long eyelashes. He wore a light gray t-shirt with a black leather coat over it, and dark wash jeans. He continued to stare at me until I broke the stare when Penny pulled me out of the trance.

"Girl, you looked like you just saw a ghost!" Penny laughed, pulling me along in the hallway. I glanced back over my shoulder at the boy, who I assume was the new kid, and he was still staring at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like!
Thanks,
-K