Status: Completed :D (Maybe an Epilogue...idk)

Windows of the Soul

Chapter Twenty-Four

The next couple of days went by in a blur, and on Friday night I got out of watching Tessa to go dress-shopping with Penny. Instead of shopping for her, though, we were shopping for me. We went back to the same store, and I noticed the same salesgirl that was here when we were roll her eyes when we appeared. I ignored it and Penny and I rummaged through the dress racks yet again.

“How about this one?” Penny asked, holding up a orange dress. It hit the floor and was pretty, but I shook my head. I needed the perfect dress, the one that would make me look beautiful to Jace.

I tried on as many dresses as I could before about giving up. As we were departing, leaving a trail of rejected dresses in our wake, Penny grabbed one and thrust it into my arms. I felt defeated, and immediately put it back without looking at it. Where would I find a decent dress before tomorrow, the day of Homecoming? Penny grabbed it again and gave me the evil eye, so I reluctantly shuffled back to the dressing room and tried it on. And it fit like a glove.

I came back out and critiqued myself in the mirror. It was a studded halter top, and fit to my skin to a little below my butt before fanning out. It was a shade of emerald green, and I felt like an Earth fairy. I looked at Penny, and she nodded, speechless. I took the dress off without a second thought and bought it.

Penny and I stopped at Joe’s, a diner on the outskirts of town. We both got burgers and discussed what would happen the following night.

“I wonder if Ryan is going to pick me up in a limo,” Penny gushed, smiling into space with her chin in her hand.

“You guys are going to look great,” I said.

“No, you and Jace will!” Penny said, turning to me. I rolled my eyes and our food was delivered. Penny continued, sticking a fry in her mouth. “That dress was beautiful on you, and Jace looks stunning in jeans and a t-shirt. You guys will steal the show!”

“I doubt that,” I said self-consciously. “So who do you think will be Homecoming Queen?”

“Probably Bel,” I rolled my eyes. “She always wins, even though she’s the biggest bitch around.”

“You’re probably right,” Penny said thoughtfully. She took a bite out of her hamburger and we ate, chatting about other people’s dresses and our excitement for the next night. Penny and I went to my house, partly because of our Friday night sleepovers and partly to get ready for Homecoming the next night. I went to sleep with a smile on my face.

***


Penny woke up before me, and when I rolled over and cracked my eyes open she was leaning against the wall, a blanket over her legs, scrolling over the screen of her iPhone. I stared at her, wishing I had her tall, graceful beauty. For a moment I felt insecure, and I wondered if Jace would’ve preferred someone like Penny. I reminded myself that Jace picked me, or, more accurately, I picked him, and we were together. I’d never seen Jace so much as nod politely at another girl; his eyes were only for me. Penny looked up and smiled. She looked well-rested, and I sat up and looked around. It was already eleven, so I jumped up and Penny and I went downstairs. Tessa was up and staring at the television, watching the Saturday morning cartoons. She didn’t even get up as Penny and I passed and I kissed her on the head. My mom was in the kitchen, scrolling over her catering menu.

“How’s it going?” I asked her, pulling the pancake mix box out of the cupboard. Since today was one of my mom’s catering days, she didn’t make breakfast. Penny whipped up the batter while I got the waffle maker out; we change it up some days and instead of pancakes we make waffles.

“Eh…a little stressed. This huge wedding is tonight, and the bride and groom want this specific type of chicken that cost be a fortune.” She looked up at me. “They’re paying me, though, so at least it isn’t out of my own pocket.”

“Well that’s good. The babysitter is booked?” I questioned, just to make sure she didn’t think I was watching Tessa tonight. She nodded, and I poured some batter into the waffle maker. The pan sizzled and Penny and I waited for the one to cook.

“I want you girls to be careful tonight,” my mom said, putting on her serious face. I glanced at Penny, who was looking at me. “I mean it. Don’t drink, don’t have sex, don’t---”

“Alright Mom, we get it!” I said, annoyed. I wasn’t embarrassed, since it was just Penny, but no one wants to have that talk with their mom, especially when a friend is over. Even a best friend.

“Be careful. I worry about you, you know.” My mom wrapped her arms around me, and I hugged her back. The waffle maker dinged, and Penny and I grabbed our waffles and sat down at the table. We watched my mom pace back and forth between the fridge and the pad of paper on the counter before finally deciding what she was making.

“You ready to get ready?” Penny asked after we cleaned our plates and headed upstairs. Instead of wasting our money on some hairdresser who would do our hair just the same that we would, we decided to do each other’s hair.

“I’m leaving!” My mom called. “Tess’s watching T.V!”

“Have fun!” I called. With a final goodbye my mom left and I heard her pack up her catering van. Penny and I sat in my room, scrolling through the web before finally deciding on hairdos based on pics on Google.

“This better be one heck of a night,” I sighed, looking at the hairdo I had chosen. I didn’t even think I had that many bobby-pins.

“Oh, it will be.” Penny said, smiling devilishly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not very long...it's been a while and I didn't know where to pick up.
Please comment! :)
-K
Ali's Dress (in emerald green)