Status: Completed :D (Maybe an Epilogue...idk)

Windows of the Soul

Chapter Eight

Penny and I arrived at the party fashionably late. Penny wore a tight black minidress that showed off her gorgeous long legs. I wore a white strapless dress that hit an inch above my knee; it looked like a summer dress but it wasn't one. I was kind-of uncomfortable in it, but had sucked it up for the night just to impress Drew and show up Bel. Penny and I walked in and looked around our surroundings.

The SnowFlakes Bash was already in full swing. Students grinded in the middle of the dance floor. Fake snowflakes fell from the ceiling, and they glittered against the backdrop of the lights. Everything sparkled, and fake snow was piled around in some of the corners. Bel was smart enough not to put any on the dance floor. The ornaments on the Christmas trees glittered against the lights as well. Not for the first time I wondered why Bel threw the Bash so early; it wasn't even Thanksgiving yet. Probably so she could use her pool and hot tub in the back without have to thaw it out for the party.

The DJ played all the famous hits, and Penny and I made our way through the crowd to the back of the house. The back was equally as packed; the pool was filled with half-naked guys and girls, and in the hot tub couples had their tongues down each others' throats. I stood on my tip-toes (as tall as I could in my three-inch white wedges) and looked around for Drew. I couldn't find him anywhere. I dug around in my purse for my phone, pulled it out, and glanced at the screen. Nothing.

"Want to help me find Drew?" I asked Penny, who nodded and we walked around the pool. Penny shot an angry look at a couple of football players who accidentally splashed her feet. I debated asking them if they knew where Drew was, but decided against it.

"I see Jess over there." Penny waved to Jess, Jace-related thoughts forgotten. Jess waved back, but for some odd reason she looked sad. "I'll go say hi, then help you look for Drew, okay?" I nodded and Penny went to say hi to Jess. I looked away and scanned the crowd for Drew, finding no sign of him. Maybe he was inside?

I made my way back inside. I pushed through the grinding bodies and still didn't see Drew. The heat, sweat, and smell were making me nauseous, so I stumbled out of the crowd and searched for the bathroom. A hall wasn't occupied, except with a couple of making-out teenagers. I opened the first door I found and saw a linen closet. It has to be here somewhere, I thought. I opened the next door and saw another closet, but this one was occupied. A couple made out in the back. I saw a glimpse of a skimpy yellow dress, a flash of dark, almost black hair. Was that...Bel? I didn't think Bel had a boyfriend. The couple didn't notice me there, so, probably acting like a freak, I squinted at the male. He had strong, muscular hands, one of which was up the bottom of Bel's dress. I saw a flash of blond hair; that hair I would know anywhere. My heart broke into a million tiny pieces. It couldn't be...Drew? I coughed loudly and the couple broke apart. That was definitely Bel. When she saw who was there, she smiled smugly. I knew before I even looked at him. Somehow I couldn't stop myself from looking to him. Drew stared at back at me, his mouth gaping. I could feel my eyes start to water up, as I looked at Drew, Drew looked at me, and Bel stared between us, eagerly waiting for whatever may happen. I couldn't stand there and let them see me cry. I turned on my heel and ran, leaving the closet door open. I could hear Drew calling my name, but I couldn't bear to look back. I ran out the front door and down the steps, but my heels couldn't take it; I collapsed and tumbled down. Landing at the bottom, I tugged my dress back down over my thighs and cursed, looking at all the bruises and bleeding scratches that covered my arms. I was such a klutz. I tried to stand but my ankle couldn't support my weight. I sagged back onto the bottom stair in defeat, sobbing my eyes out. I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder, and I looked up, forgetting I probably looked like a dying raccoon. Jace stood there, looking down at me. His expression didn't change when he took in my tattered, dirty dress, the scratches, and my tear-filled eyes. I didn't even care it was him. I just wanted company.

"What happened?" He asked, sitting beside me on the step. I couldn't help it; I dug my face into his chest as he put his arm around me. I couldn't help that he was practically a stranger and that he was dating one of my friends; I needed a shoulder to cry on. I made sure not to get any snot on his shirt - embarrassing! - but we sat there for a while while a party raged behind us. Jace said nothing; he just kept me company, which is exactly what I wanted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Want to share your opinions? Post under my comments page :)
Thank you guys!
-K
P.S. I added actors for Jace and Drew, but I don't know who to choose for Jace...if anyone has any better suggestions please post the names or pics on my comment page for this story. Thanks :)