Queen Gee

1/1

Mikey Way looked in the mirror and tightened his tie. Looking at his gold wristwatch, he frowned. If they didn’t hurry up, they would be late. ‘They’ referred to him and his older brother, Gerard. Kicking the dresser in frustration, he instantly regretted it when the pain coursed through his body. Cursing, he wiped the dust away from his recently polished shoes. “Gerard!” He shouted.

Silence. But soon enough, Gerard Way could be heard storming through the hallway. “What Mikey?”

“Nothing, I was just wondering where you were. You know we have to leave in the next hour and a half.”

Gerard swayed his hand as if to brush off Mikey’s words. “I think I know. Plus there’s no need to mention who’s the older brother?” He pointed to himself. “Yeah me. You should be the one worrying.”

Mikey managed a feeble smile. “Remember when we were kids and use to stay with grandma all the time?”

“How could I forget?”

“You always made me and everybody else call you ‘Queen Gee.’ Ah, Gerard. You were so queer at such a young age,” Mikey said with a scintillating look in his brown eyes, behind his thick glasses. His words cracked with laughter, each syllable holding a memory that he was possessive of.

Gerard clasped a large hand on his younger brother’s thin and bony shoulder, smiling sadly. “Come on Mikey, let’s get going. We don’t want to be late.”
--

Mikey and Gerard sat in the front row. They both were hastily wiping tears from the corner of their eyes. Mikey continually had to remove his glasses to wipe them clean, before putting them on, repeating the process over and over.

The preacher ran from the bible, looking over the open closet and into the pew. “Here lies Elena Lee Rush. A woman who has offered her heart to many in exchange for love.”

Gerard soon blocked out everything in the church. All he could feel was his heart beating against his ribcage as if wanting to break free from it’s constraint. But then an image popped in his brain, steering all the fogginess away. Right smack in the middle of his train of thought was a younger version of him parading around in a princess tiara and a hot pink boa wrapped flamboyantly around his neck. He smiled at the image.

It was the first time he had smiled since he heard the news of his beloved grandmother’s untimely death.

That was nearly a month ago.