Sequel: Infinite Love
Status: Being rewritten:)

Love Undefined

Fourteen

My parents were sitting in my room when I woke up the next morning. My dad smiled at me and I gave him a small smile back. I shook Mikal awake and he went into the bathroom without looking at my parents. I stared after him confused.
“Kristine, we need to talk about this. You know that you are going to be punished, right?” I nodded and looked down at the blanket covering me. “As punishment, we will not help as much as we did with Ryan. You will be doing a lot of the work by yourself. You will also go back to school as soon as the doctor says you are well enough after you’ve had the baby.” I nodded again and Mikal walked out of the bathroom.
“Sorry, I’m not a morning person.” They nodded at him. “Did Kristine tell you?”
“No, I haven’t Mikal,” tears were streaming down my face.
“Tell us what?” They looked between us.
“I’m having twins,” I told them with a glare. “So, just so I know, how much less are you going to help me because you practically through yourselves at Ryan and did everything for him.”
“You watch your mouth, Kristine,” Dad warned me.
“No, I’m truly curious, how much less are you going to help me?” I glared at them.
“We’ll feed them, that’s it. Everything else is on you,” I nodded and looked at Mikal. He was leaning against the wall with his hands in his pockets looking at the floor. “Please leave,” he looked up at me in surprise. “Not you Mikal, my parents.” I looked at them and they looked as surprised as Mikal. “Go home to the family that you don’t punish. You didn’t punish Ryan when he got Amber pregnant. You were too excited about having a grandchild. It didn’t matter that he was sixteen.”
“Kristine, that is not true,”
“Yes, it is, now please leave.” the nodded and walked out of the room. “Mikal, can I stay with you for a couple days?” He nodded and I sighed. “Maybe we do need our own place,” I muttered and he sighed.
“Kristine, having twins is going to make that just a little bit more difficult. All the expenses for one baby just doubled. That’s going to make it harder to get an apartment or a house. I talked to my aunt and I can work every day after school and all day on Saturdays. That will bring in some money. Do you think you can get a job? At least for a little while.”
“Yeah, probably, I don’t know who would hire a pregnant woman though.”
“They can’t turn you down because you’re pregnant.” Mikal told me gently. “I’m going to check with my aunt and see what she has for babies. My parents saved everything, and then they left everything to my aunt. We could end up saving a couple hundred just by going through the basement.”
“Wow, can we do that soon, please? Before I can’t do it and you’re stuck doing it by yourself.” He nodded smiling at me. The doctor came in and checked on me. He left to get the discharge papers and Mikal helped me get dressed.
“You know what?”
“No, what?” I looked at him smiling.
“My parents left me a house, it was right by the college that they went to; right next to the college that they wanted me to go. It’s a couple hours away but there is lots of room for all of us.”
“Okay so let’s go out and look at it this weekend, we can enroll in the high school out there.” The doctor came back with my release forms and I signed them. Mikal drove me to my parents and I picked up some of my clothes and my backpack before leaving again. Mikal and I went through the basement when we got to his aunts. We found two cribs, one from when his sister was a baby, and one from when Mikal was a baby. We also found an old changing table that Mikal sat on for a few minutes to make sure that the babies would be okay laying on it. Mikal carried everything I wanted upstairs and put it in the extra bedroom next to his. He made lunch while I started my homework. We ate quickly and then we sat at the kitchen table for the next few hours just doing our homework. We were discussing what we wanted to do for the twins when his aunt got home. Mikal told her what happened and she told me I could stay as long as I liked. I smiled and thanked her and looked down at the paper I had been writing the baby stuff we would need on.
Aunt Lauren took one look at the paper and smiled. “I guess it’s time for me to start spoiling my great- niece or nephew.” I blushed and Mikal cleared his throat.
“It’s twins, Aunt Lauren,” he looked at her scared waiting for her reaction.
“Okay, so I have two babies to spoil, that works out great for me.” She smiled and I blushed once again.
“Aunt Lauren, we wanted to talk to you about some of the things we were planning on doing,” she nodded and sat down at the table with us. “We went through the basement and found two cribs and a changing table that we would like to use.” She nodded and motioned for us to keep going. “We were also thinking of moving out to Mom and Dad’s house.”
“Mikal, that is like an hour away from here, you won’t have any support out there. I’m not sure I like the thought of you guys so far away with two infants.” Aunt Lauren told us very bluntly. “I do have an extension of my firm out there that I need to go check up on. I also have a house out there that needs to be cleaned up a bit. If you are deadest on moving out there I’m going with you for at least a little while. I won’t live with you guys unless you want me to, and I’ll just be there to help out.”
I looked at Mikal and nodded. “Okay, Aunt Lauren, I think Kristine and I would be very appreciative of that.” Mikal smiled at her. “We would also need to enroll in the high school out there, could you help us with that?”
“Of course, but Kristine will need her parent’s permission to do that. I’m not her legal guardian so I’m afraid that I wouldn’t be able to help her.” I nodded.
“I was wondering if you could help me become emancipated.” I asked her and her eyes widened before returning to normal.
“Of course I can and I’ll do it for free, too,”
“Thank you, I really appreciate it,” I smiled at her and she returned the smile.
“Well, I have to go and study my case; I’ll see you two later.” She started walking away before turning back. “Oh, and you can use anything you find in the basement.” We thanked her and went back to our plans.