Sequel: Infinite Love
Status: Being rewritten:)

Love Undefined

Seventeen

“Kristine, are you okay?” Mikal asked coming in. I nodded and didn’t move. He lay down on the bed next to me and gently stroked my cheek with his fingers. He gave me a small smile and stared at me. “Are you sure you’re okay? You just got really quiet all of a sudden.”
“I’m fine, just tired is all. It’s been a long day.” I told him. I didn’t know if it was true or not but he didn’t need to worry about me.
“Okay, can I lay here with you?” He asked quietly. I nodded and moved closer to him. I lay my head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around my waist his hand coming to rest on my abdomen.
I woke up late the next morning. I rolled over and wasn’t surprised to find Mikal gone. I couldn’t hear the shower so I knew he must be downstairs. I got out of bed and went into the bathroom. I took my time in the shower. I couldn’t stop thinking about the twins. I knew the studies showed that they would have a harder time in life and I was scared about that. I wanted them to have the perfect life and I hoped that we would be able to give them this.
I got out of the shower knowing Mikal would be up here looking for me soon. I put my wet hair in a messy bun and went downstairs. Mikal was at the kitchen table doing his homework when I walked in. He looked up and smiled at me. I smiled back as I sat down next to him.
“Did you sleep well?” I nodded and he got up. “Do you want something to eat?”
“Cereal is fine,” he nodded and pulled out a bowl and filled it with cereal and milk. He grabbed a spoon and set it in front of me. “Thanks,” I smiled wide as I started eating. “Don’t you have to work today?”
“Aunt Lauren gave me the day off because she’s worried about you. I told her you were just tired but she wouldn’t listen. So per orders from her, are you okay?”
“I’m fine, I’m just worried about raising these two and giving them the perfect life they deserve.” He nodded looking down at the paper in front of him.
“I know the feeling. I can’t stop thinking about them either. I don’t want to mess up, ya know? I just can’t stop thinking about how one mistake could take them down the wrong path.” I nodded and finished my cereal. Mikal took care of my dishes while I got my backpack and sat back down starting my homework.
“Have you heard anything from the people you called about the house?” I asked him going over my outline.
“No, the monoxide test and that stuff is being done today. Once that is good then cable, internet, electricity and that stuff will go in. After that they’ll test for termites and other bugs and animals. Then we’ll move the baby stuff in. Then we’ll move in.” I nodded as I worked. We kept working for the next couple hours before I got hungry. Mikal made some macaroni and cheese. I got really tired afterwards so I went and took a nap while Mikal worked.
I woke up and went downstairs to find Mikal asleep on the couch. I smiled and shook him awake.
“What’s wrong?” He asked quickly patting me down checking for injuries.
“I’m fine, I was just wondering why you didn’t come upstairs and lay with me. It would have been more comfortable than the couch.”
“I didn’t plan on going to sleep. I turned the T.V. on to watch some show.” He sat up and pulled me down onto his lap. I sat sideways with my arms wrapped around his neck. He smiled at me before kissing me gently on the lips. “Next time I’ll make sure to come lie down with you. I promise.”
I smiled at him, “Thank you, now I want to go out tonight. I feel like I’ve been cooped up in this house forever. Can we please at least go shopping for baby stuff?” He nodded and started tickling me. I started giggling and trying to get him to stop.
He laughed, “There is nothing you can say that can make me stop tickling you.” It took me a minute before I thought of something.
I screamed and grabbed my stomach. “Mikal stop! It hurts, please, it really hurts.” He immediately stopped and checked my abdomen for injuries.
“Are you okay? I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”
“I’m fine just don’t tickle me anymore.”
“Okay, I didn’t really hurt you did I?” He accused narrowing his eyes.
“No, but you said nothing I said would make you stop and I guess you were wrong.” He gave me a small smile.
“I couldn’t live with myself if I hurt you three.” He rubbed my stomach before leaning down and kissing it. “Okay, why don’t you go get ready? We’ll leave in a few minutes.” I jumped off his lap and ran upstairs as fast as I could. I could hear him laughing in the background.
I grabbed my jacket and my purse and ran back downstairs.
“Okay, I’m ready to go, Mikal,” he took my hand and we walked out to his car. He helped me in and then drove us to the store.
Mikal helped me into the store and grabbed a cart.
“So, Babe, what are we buying today?”
“I was thinking diapers, some outfits, and some bottles.” He nodded and we went to the baby section and I grabbed a couple boxes of diapers. I grabbed some yellow and green bottles before moving on to clothes. We decided that we’d get four onsies. One said ‘Mommy loves me,’ another said, ‘Daddy loves me,’ third said, ‘Grandma spoils me,’ and the last one said, ‘Daddy’s girl.’ Mikal insisted on the last one even though we didn’t know the sex of the babies. He figured he had a fifty percent chance to have a baby girl. We paid for the stuff and left. Mikal took me out to dinner. We had a really good time. I got to know him a little better. He told me stories about his childhood. I wanted our children to have a childhood like his.
“So, have you told your sister about us and the twins?” He shook his head and looked down.
“No, we haven’t talked much since the accident. She threw herself into her schoolwork and she never comes up for air. Do you want me to call her?”
“Yeah, and I think you should no matter what or you’ll never forgive yourself.”
“Okay, I’ll call her tomorrow.” He smiled at me. I smiled back and the waiter brought us the check. Mikal drove us home and we took the diapers, bottles, and clothes inside. I went upstairs and put the baby stuff on the changing table. I changed into a pair of Mikal’s boxers and one of his t-shirts. I climbed into bed and grabbed the photo album with the ultrasound pictures in it. I rubbed my stomach as I looked through them.
Mikal walked into the room and smiled seeing me in bed. He stripped down to his boxers and climbed into bed with me. He put his hand over mine and looked over at the pictures.
“They’ve grown so much the past few months.” Mikal said quietly kissing my temple. I nodded and closed the photo album. I turned off the lamp and snuggled into MIkal’s side and put my head on his chest. “I love you, K,”
“I love you, Mikal,”