When You Call My Name

Dreams

“This is such a weird coincidence! We must have the exact same schedule!” It was the last period of the day, and so far Jesse had shown up in every single one of her classes.

Every. Single. One.

“Cut it out, St. James. It’s not a coincidence and we both know it.” Alex looked up from her notebook and shot him a glare.

He met her gaze calmly, clearly trying to decide what story to tell her. Alex rolled her eyes and looked back down at her notebook, writing notes from the board.

“Fine. I requested a schedule that matched yours. I told Figgins I was back to make amends, and that I knew it wouldn’t be easy. I said it would make it easier for me if I had someone I was close with to help me and to convince the Glee club I was sincere.”

She scoffed. “Nice story.”

“It’s the truth! I am here to make amends.”

“All right, fine, say that is the truth and you don’t have some ulterior motive. The rest of it is BS and we both know it. You and I? We’re not close. And you know as well as I do if you’re going to convince the Glee club you’re serious you’re more than capable of doing it on your own. Lord knows you have more charm than I do, and you’re damn good at manipulating people and situations. Look at what you did to Figgins. No, you don’t need my help. Especially since they’re still not sure of me. So why stalk me?”

At the end of her speech Jesse just stared at her, taken by surprise by the outburst. Then, finally, “You want the truth.”

“No, lie to me Jesse.” She said with blatant sarcasm.

He sighed. “I just missed you, Ria.” She stared at him silently until he broke and spoke again. “You left VA. If you go to dance class anymore you don’t go to the ones that I go to, that’s for sure. And no matter what you say, you have a certain charm about you. I missed that attitude.”

Alex looked down and rolled her eyes. “Whatever, St. James.” She took notes for a while, appearing to blatantly ignore Jesse. He sighed, watching her for a while before giving up and bothering to look up at the board about 10 minutes before the end of class. He didn’t take notes, just staring at the board, lost in his own thoughts.

The bell rang and the class gathered up their stuff. Jesse stuffed his schedule—the only thing he had even taken out that period—into his backpack and stood up, preparing to head to the choir room without Alexandria. He needed time to rethink his plan.

She surprised him by stepping in front of him. “I dropped ballet. That’s why you haven’t seen me. I wanted to try something new, so I took a break and signed up for ballroom dancing classes.”

Jesse was silent, unsure of how to reply.

“What? Now are you coming to Glee club or not? I thought you were here to charm your way back into their midst and make amends.”

“Right. I am. I’m here to apologize.” Jesse nodded, recovering.

She smirked at him. “Come on St. James.”

Jesse followed her to the choir room, stunned. Maybe he didn’t need to rethink this at all. Sure, some improve earlier had changed it somewhat, but other than that it was more than fine. Perhaps he was more talented and charming than he thought…