Status: Complete

If These Walls Could Talk

One.

The sliver of light was a tease. It beckoned to her; it pleaded with her to come out. The light was two faced; it worked both with and against her. Savannah drew her knees up to her chest in the dark closet, taking deep, steady breaths as footsteps squeaked by.

“Savannah?” The nineteen year old quivered against the cool wood, the smooth texture caressing her exposed shoulders.

“I know that you’re here. I’m not going to be happy if I have to search for you, baby.” The feet stopped in front of the closet. Savannah held her breath, praying that he’d keep walking. The door creaked, opening with excruciating slowness. A faceless hand reached in, grabbing at her with vicious claws. He drew her up to his chest, raining his putrid breath down on her face.

“Baby, why would you hide from me?” The stench of alcohol permeated the air around them. Savannah gagged slightly, trying to pry her arm out of his vice grip.

“Cade, stop! You’re drunk-“ His palm connected with her colourless face, branding her in the cruellest way possible. Her hand flew up to her cheek to slow the heat that flooded the already bruising area. The diamond on her finger caught the light; it sparkled mercilessly, making a mockery of what her life had become.

“Don’t you love me Savannah?” Cade yanked the girl back to him, forcing her to stare into the eyes of a monster. She remembered a time, not so long ago, when his eyes had shined so brilliantly, instead of being misted by alcohol and oblivion.

“Please...”

He let go, dropping her like a ragdoll at his feet.

“Please what? Please not tonight?” He spat, the beads of saliva narrowly missing her, “Did you have a bad day? I had a bad fucking day too. And then I come home to find my wife hiding from me. Why are you such a bitch, baby?”

“Keep your voice down, you’ll wake Bailee,” Savannah said quietly. Cade pressed his weight down onto her wrist, forcing tears to her eyes. Harder and harder, until she was sure the bone would break. He dug his heal in until she cried out in pain.

“Keep your voice down, you’ll wake the baby,” He mocked. He leaned down to her level, grasping her upper arms. He pulled her to her feet, before placing a kiss on her lips.

“I love you baby. But don’t you ever hide from me again.” Cade slammed Savannah up against the wall, letting her skull crack against the plaster, and walked away. She stood there shaking, running a hand through her knotted blonde hair. Distantly, she heard a cry. It got louder and louder; a baby’s cry. She crossed the hall quietly and opened the door to the baby’s room.

“Hi, baby girl,” Savannah cooed, cradling the infant in her arms. She glanced in the mirror at the bruise that was forming on her pale cheek.

If these walls could talk.