Status: No regular update days, but going strong. :)

Golden Children and the Others

Chapter Five

Faryn loved Diagon Alley. Its atmosphere was rich with shoppers and merchants and all sorts of busy people. She spent the entire time with the group- James, Fred, Lysander, Lorcan, and Dawn- and she tried not to let the presence of James’ girlfriend bother her. She also tried not to let her guilt and anxiety over spilling Ava’s big secret get to her. She was a mess inside, imagining all sorts of worst case scenarios. The boys must have picked up on her stress and went out of their way to make her feel better. 

During their stop in the Weasley joke shop, Fred demonstrated some of the new products to them, along with his own witty commentary, which had made her laugh so hard that James remarked that he hoped she wouldn’t pass out.

At Fortescue’s later in the day, James paid for Dawn’s ice cream, and Lysander picked up the price on Faryn’s treat as well. It gave her those warm fuzzy feelings in her chest, and it didn’t even occur to the Hufflepuff that he might possibly be trying to relive a moment from their past relationship.

The group had also walked past the magical music store to hear the tinkling sounds pouring out of the shop. Lorcan had grabbed her and started to dance, pulling her through a series of twirls and dips. 

Faryn was happy as she’d ever been until it was time to leave. Everyone gave her a hug when they reached the Leaky Cauldron.

“Adalia’s already gone through,” Ava said, ushering her toward the fireplace. With a final wave to her friends and a whoosh of green smoke, Faryn was back home with Ava right behind her.

“How were Al and Scor?” Faryn asked her sister as she set down her new school books.

“Fine.” Adalia answered crisply before turning to Ava. “What did Al’s dad talk to you about?”

Faryn turned to stare at her cousin, the guilt returning once again. Ava ran a hand through her hair.

“It was about the baby. I am still going on the mission.” The blonde told them.

“How can he let you do this?” Adalia cried. “He’s Teddy’s godfather, for Merlin’s sake!” then the Ravenclaw turned to her sister. “And you told! You spill anything for that stupid James Potter!” Adalia shouted.

“No, I-” Faryn tried to explain. She hadn’t been able to help herself- it had just slipped out. The look on Ava’s face only added to her guilt- there was no anger or sadness, just disappointment. But Adalia barged on.

“You said, ‘Don’t tell anyone, it’s Ava’s business to tell people’! You’re such a hypocrite, Faryn!” Her sister’s mocking tones and final insult were almost too much for Faryn to take.

“It was an honest mistake, Addy,” The Hufflepuff whispered as tears started to track their way down her face. “I’m only human.” Adalia gave her a glare.

“That’s not the point. Don’t give me any of this crap, Faryn! You broke your own rule, and you betrayed Ava. And me!” Faryn could only stare in shock as Addy finished her tirade. “I hate you.”

Those three words echoed in Faryn’d mind as she ran up the stairs and into her bedroom, dropping onto her bed sobbing. Adalia hated her. No doubt Ava did too. 

Faryn looked up when she heard something beeping slightly in her bedside table drawer. It was the coin she had, through which he DA used to contact each other.

“Faryn?” came James’ voice when she opened the drawer and pulled the coin out.

“James?” she whispered back through her tears. The coin, which worked like a walkie talkie, was very useful at times.

“Are you okay? I wanted to see if anything happened. Dad mentioned to Mum that he talked to Ava.” How thoughtful he was to check up on her. But what she really needed was him here by her side.

“Adalia hates me,” Faryn told him, her voice shaking. “Ava probably does too.”

James’ voice was reassuring.“Oh, Faryn,” She imagined that if he was here he would have put his arms around her. “Addy doesn’t hate you. All siblings say that to each other.” He assured her.

“I know.” Faryn replied, wiping her eyes on her sleeve. “But I think I really did it this time … and I don’t know what to do.”

[x]

Addy didn’t really know why she sided with Ava through the whole debacle with Faryn. She was mad at both of them, feeling more and more isolated from them with every passing day. “Who are they? I don’t even know anymore…” she sighed, settling back on her bed.

 “They’re your sister and cousin, doofus,” came a voice from beside her.

 “Godric! Al, could you scare me any more? Honestly.”

 He grinned impishly. “Sorry. But I heard James talking to Ryn through the DA coins, and I figured if she was in that bad of a state that you were feeling a bit in the dumps as well. So I let myself in.” Holding up the cookies in his hand, his grin stretched. “Your mum gave me these.”

 Addy allowed herself a smile. For all the faults her family had, she still loved them. Especially her mother, who had doted on her throughout her childhood. Faryn had always been their father’s favorite, the studious Hufflepuff like he had been. Adalia, on the other hand, was their Muggle mother’s baby. Mrs. Katz was always baking things for her and the boys to eat during their many adventures.

 “You okay?” Albus’ voice broke through her thoughts.

 “I s’pose.”

 “Do you want to go talk to her?”

 She thought about it for a moment. “Not really, not at the moment. I need a bit more time to cool down before I go to her, you know?”

 “Yeah, I get it. Sometimes I’m like that with James, or Lily. It takes a minute or two to get all your steam out.”

 They sat in silence, Albus putting an arm around Addy’s shoulders. “Chin up, buttercup,” he whispered into her hair. “I’m here.”

 Some time later, Addy opened her eyes. The sun was fading over the hill just outside of her window, stars creeping on the horizon. Albus was still at her side, head resting on her shoulder. His arm was still around her, fingers limply tangled in her hair.

 “Allie, wake up,” she whispered, shaking him ever so slightly. “Hey, it’s time to get up. Rise and shine and all that, you know.”

 Groaning, he untangled himself from her hair. “G’morning,” he yawned. “Wha’ time is it?”

 “After supper, I’d assume.”

 His eyes flew open. “You’ve got to be kidding me. After supper? I was supposed to be quick! Before Mum and Da noticed I was gone! Bloody hell…”

 Addy rolled her eyes. “Should have thought about that before you fell asleep then, shouldn’t you’ve?”

 “Not my fault I was tempted by you,” he quipped, standing up and placing one foot on the windowsill. “Now, go make peace. I’ll have my coin with me if you need me later.”

 “Thank you, Albus.”

 “No problem, love.” And with that, he was gone.

 Adalia stood in front of the door, fist raised to knock.

 Doing so, three times quick like was their signal, she stepped back. Butterflies in her stomach, nerves settling all over her.

 The door opened.

 “Faryn? Can I come in?”

[x]

Ava laid a hand on her bulging stomach and took a sip of her tea. It was uncharacteristic for her not to be drinking Fire Whiskey, but her aunt and uncle didn’t seem to have any. And she just wanted to relax. She rested against the chair and closed her eyes. All the anger and resentment had gone out of her. She wasn’t bitter anymore, but she sensed that things were less than okay between Adalia and Faryn. She knew that they could -and eventually would- work things out on their own.

But now she had her own problems. She thought back to one of her previous conversations with Harry- she would be starting her job as a spy for the Order of the Phoenix once the weekend was over. The reality hit her that she only had two days left- two days with her cousins, two days with her family, two days left with Teddy. 

Ava let a solitary tear fall into her teacup. It suddenly felt all too real- the baby, the mission, her cousins’ angst, the danger she was getting into, how much she missed Teddy.
 
 
Speaking of her fiancée, she knew that she had to reconcile with him before she left. She had to make things right; she couldn’t leave him like this. Ava knew that if she was Teddy, she would have killed her for all of this stress by now. Maybe that was why she had Teddy; maybe that was what love was. Staying with someone no matter what they put you through.

But could the bond she and Teddy shared last while she was masquerading as a Death Eater? 

This unsettling question burrowed itself into Ava’s head. She set her teacup down and Diapparated with a crack from her cousins’ kitchen. The former Slytherin reappeared in front of the door to the apartment she and Teddy shared. Ava opened her eyes. She hadn’t known how much she could miss an old white door. The door knob was still there, the same two numbers that had been there forever, the doorknob still shone in its place. She raised her hand and knocked on the cool wood.

 Teddy’s voice sounded from inside, and her heart flip flopped to hear him so close.  “Who’s there?”

 Ava steeled herself.  “It’s me.”

 The door opened up just a crack, enough for Ava to see his brilliant green eyes gazing back at you. His mouth opened just a bit, possibly in shock, before he threw the door open and gathered her into his arms.

 Afterwards, neither was sure who started crying first. Or who started kissing whom. But mouths were fusing together, the space in between getting smaller and smaller. Tears were mingling on each other’s faces, Teddy’s even in her hair.

 “I’m sorry, I’m so, so sorry, baby. How can you ever forgive me?” she murmured, a mantra to keep the coming hours at bay.

 He pulled back, a breath away from her lips. “I could never be mad at you. Not forever. I love you, you realize that? That’s why there’s a ring on your finger,” he whispered.

 “I know, I know. Just hold me.”