Bloody Knuckles and Shotgun Shells

Oh Yum

Allison's POV:

The temperature is growing colder by the hour. I’ve already donned a hoodie, leather jacket and two Hello Kitty blankets.

“Why is it so Goddamn cold? I’m freezing my balls off!” Alex whines.

Ashton laughs. “I sure hope not.”

“Why? Do you have special plans for us this evening, my dear?” he replies suggestively.

“Oh God,” I groan. “If you two don’t stop being gross I’ll throw both of you out to the zombies. You’ll be a tasty little nosh for ‘em.”

Our newest recruit is looking very confused. “Is she serious?” Joey asks hesitantly, pushing his thin metal frames back to the top of his nose.

We all look at him and laugh. Alex pats him on the back and answers, “I don’t think so. But I don’t wanna find out either.”

“So Joey,” I begin. He looks at me, startled. His fear amuses me, but I don’t say that.

“Where you from again?”

“Um, u-up north. About four or five miles.” The guy acts like he’s never talked to a girl before.
I think it’s cute, but I’d never admit to it.

“Well come over and sit. I’m not gonna bite you,” I say, patting the empty space next to me. I smile, trying to be nice.

“I wouldn’t believe that if I were you,” Ashton chirps. He looks scared again.

“Lighten up, buddy. She’s just kidding with you. Don’t look so horrified,” Alex tells him, laughing. Joey smiles lightly and finally sits down next to me. He is still uncomfortable, but he’ll warm up to us eventually.

“Are you hurt at all?” I find myself asking him.

He points to his leg. “I just have this cut on my calf. I was in here to get bandages for it,” he informs me. “It’s no big deal though. I can still walk on it.”

“You have any weapons?”

“Not anymore. I had my dad’s old collector’s sword. But I’m fairly certain it’s still lodged in the neck of one of the zombies out there. I kinda didn’t have time to pull it out when it got stuck.” I hold back a snicker. I think he notices.

“Care for a bat?” I gesture to one of the metal bats we acquired from the sporting goods section.

“Indeed. I’d love one.”

His clothes are mostly clean, save the blood that stained his jeans around the gash on his calf.

“How did you manage to stay so…” I search for the right word, “clean?” Joey looks down at his plain grey shirt and then back at me.

“Well I tried my best to avoid combat with these creatures. So I pretty much laid low and hid when I saw them.” I must have a confused look on my face because he continues explaining himself. “I just…See I have this thing. I really don’t like blood.”

“Ah, well we’ll just have to get rid of that little phobia. You’ll be seeing a lot of blood if you hang with this crew.” He swallows and nods nervously.

“I feel like listening to some music,” Ashton proclaims. “I’ll be right back.”

“Oh wait! I’ll go with you!” Alex yells, jumping up and running after her. Joey is preoccupied wrapping his calf, but still apparently wants to have a conversation.

“That your brother?” he asks me.

“Yep. Twin.”

“Yeah, I can see that. You two must’ve been a handful for your parents.” Okay someone’s getting more confidence. Two can play at that.

“We were. But the more important question is: are you a handful?” His eyebrows shoot up over the tops of his glasses.

“If you catch me at the right time I am,” he flirts back. This time I can’t hold back my roar of laughter. Maybe this whole apocalypse thing won’t be as bad as I’d planned.
♠ ♠ ♠
-Allison

COMMENTS ARE LOVED! haha