The Sun and The King

salt in this wound

When I get in the house everything is quiet except for a fan in the corner of the kitchen. There are bottles and cups on almost every inch of floor along with long stripes of toilet paper and other debris. There’s a bowl of punch that probably is more alcohol than punch on the table and spilled over.

I sigh and get a garbage bag to start cleaning. Dan and Sunny are probably still sleeping; Sunny will have a hangover and Dan is probably exhausted from chaperoning the party in the first place.

It takes over an hour just to clean the kitchen and living room. I still have the dining room and the upstairs to even start.

“King?” A rough voice calls.

“Hey, Dan.” I give him a smile. “Go back to sleep. It’s only like eight in the morning.”

“Naaah.” He sighs and begins to help clean up. “How long have you been here?”

I shrug. “About an hour. But I camped out in the backyard.” I show him the bruise on the cheek and explain.

Dan suddenly turns red but I calm him down. He didn’t like Mason when he was making out with Sunny in the kitchen, and now I suppose he hated him for punching me – his best friend. “I’ll kill him.” He says through gritted teeth.

“Relax.” I laugh and pat him on the shoulder. “It’s fine. I’m fine.”

He shook his head. “No it’s not. Fuck it; I’m glad Sunny dumped that piece of shit.”

“Me too.” I grin and he grins back, but it’s not for the same reason.