The Sun and The King

salt in this wound

Sunny was the girl every boy wanted and every girl wanted to be. Even though I mostly just hang out with Dan and Lucy – his girlfriend – I’m still good friends with Sunny. I feel like a true king when other kids see me with her; anyone who’s with her gets stared at like royalty. Even though Sunny had more friends than she had handle, she doesn’t hang out with anyone for long – except me. I’m the exception to the rule and I love every second of it.

People like Dan because he’s a nice guy but he’s also freakishly shy and can’t make real friends easily. But I’ve known both of them since we were born – I’m only three days older than them. Our parents were also best friends until Marie and Dan Sr. died.

“Yo King,” Dan broke me away from my thoughts, “can you get me a soda?”

I nod and get up from his bedroom couch. I head towards the familiar kitchen and open the fridge. I grab two sodas and close the door. And then I see it.

Sunny sitting on the counter with her face attached to Mason Richards. I cough before I realize and they both look up at me.

“Sorry.” I say, my cheeks are red.

“Hey King.” Sunny smiles pleasantly at me but Mason frowned.

“Hey, Sunny.” I stammer, fiddling with the cans in the hands. “Hey Mason.”

Mason nods at me and I nod back. “Tell Danny I made mac and cheese, okay?” Sunny tells me and I smile.

“Of course.” I turn away and walk back into Dan’s room.

Lucy is sitting between his legs as he plays his video game. “Sunny says she made dinner.” I tell them and give Lucy both the sodas.

“M’kay.” Dan murmurs and continues to play the game.

“Did you know Mason Richards is here?” I snitch, and I feel a little guilty for ratting Sunny out.

Dan suddenly becomes stone and his jaw clenches. He stomps out the door without a word. Lucy sighs and follows to do damage control. I sit on my shitty thrown of guilt.