The Sun and The King

season this scar for tomorrow

In Sunny’s room there is a bed, a lamp, and a pile of clothes. There isn’t a TV or a closet or a bookshelf or an alarm clock or any posters on the walls. It’s simple and plain because she doesn’t spend a lot of time in it. For as long as I can remember she has gone to bed at eleven at night and woken up at four in the morning without an alarm. Sometimes she doesn’t sleep in her room – actually, most of the time she doesn’t. Sunny is like a cat; she sleeps everywhere and anywhere. Most of the time it’s on the couch in Dan’s room.

She’d get up, get dressed, and get gone. She doesn’t have a car and wouldn’t dare take Dan’s, so wherever she goes has to be in walking distance.

I slept over every weekend, all weekend. My parents were going through a messy divorce so right now the last thing on their mind was me. Go figure.

My cell phone rang in my jacket pocket, so I woke up to answer. ”Get your ass home now.” my father shouted into the other line. I stand corrected; they cared about me as a piece of property to fight over, not as King Alexander – their son.

I flipped the phone shut without answering and get up from the futon that lied on the floor between the couch and Dan’s bed. I looked down at Dan to see him fast asleep and his clock reads 6:21 and the sun is just rising. I look over to the couch and see Sunny looking up at me with her warm brown eyes.

We stared at each other for awhile. “They love you.” Sunny said in a lame attempt in trying to make me feel better. She could probably see the tears forming in the corners of my eyes.

I shook my head. “I’d rather have your parents than mine.” I said. It was harsh to even talk about her dead parents but it came out with the tears that fell down my face. I tried to hide them. I hated acting like a pussy – especially in front of Sunny.

“I know.” Sunny whispered and extended her hand out towards me. On her palm sat a cigarette and a lighter.

I took the lighter and shoved the cigarette in my mouth. “See you.” I spoke and began taking drags as I walked out of the house.

Like I said, Sunny made me a worse person.